*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788401-Elven-Garden-Tea-Party-Entry
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1788401
Is there really a place where all dreams come true?...
The Place Where Dreams Come True
By Olga ‘AllyAnn’ Gridin


Heather and Mariah were waiting in the long line to enter through the ornamented golden gates. From this place the friends couldn’t the inside of the Elven Tea Garden. They were standing behind fifteen excitedly whispering people who were waiting to pass through the elf in the green-gold cashmere suit standing at the entrance. Only Heather was in a foul mood.

“I can’t believe you convinced me to come here,” Heather whispered angrily, turning to her colleague and friend, Mariah.

“Heather, this place is amazing! The Elven Tea Garden is the best place I’ve been to in weeks. Now cheer up.”

“I’m sorry I don’t share your thrill,” Heather said sarcastically.

“That’s because you have been too stressed lately. You need some fun.”

“No, I need a few more hours a day,” Heather snapped. She couldn’t believe she let Mariah convince her to wear a green dress that felt a little bit too exposed. She fidgeted uneasily, tightening her leather jacket.

“Oh, stop it, you look great,” Mariah said, checking that her elegant bun was still in its place. “By the way, Michael called and we are going out for lunch tomorrow.”

“Good for you,” Heather said flatly feeling a sharp stab in her chest. She was tired of being alone. Mariah had Michael, Sheryl had John and Leslie was on a honeymoon at the moment; and Heather had her job. But apparently being a successful businesswoman was not enough for complete happiness.

At that moment they reached the elf in the elegant green-gold cashmere suit.

“Good day, ladies,” he said. His voice was hoarse and low. “Would you like a table for two?”

“Yes, please,” Mariah said with a smile, thinking that his great ember eyes were very making his head look bigger than it really was.

“Rosella,” the elf turned to a tiny fairy which was surrounded by bright light, “Please take these lovely ladies to a pergola by the river.”

“Certainly, Homer,” Rosella said squeakily, opened an ornamented side door of the same color as the main gates and led the young women through a tunnel. The fairy shone brighter than the lanterns that were hanging on either side of the tunnel.

As they were approaching the end of the tunnel Mariah was already burning with impatience to see the amazement on her friend’s face when she saw the Elven Tea Garden for the first time. Her satisfaction was greater than she expected – every notion of crankiness on Heather’s face was replaced by an expression of utmost delight.

Everything from the white ivory fountains to the edge of the Avian Forest was just – there was no other word for it – perfect. A winding trail cut through the fresh grass where flowers were showing off their beauty. Ivory fountains of angels’ shapes were spread across the lawn, which bordered the western tree line of the magical Avian Forest. The pass to the green lawn lay through a snow white bridge that allowed passing the fast stream of Rosemary River without getting wet. The clean river water sparkled like diamonds in the bright spring sun. Pergolas served as tables for the guests, and a little further from the trail and nearer to the somber tree line there was a wooden dance floor with a sun roof and a stage for the orchestra. A slow soft song was coming from the dance floor where a few couples were slow dancing. That orchestra was very unusual, however; all its members were elves except the violinist, who was the only centaur in the orchestra.

Heather was so transfixed by the heavenly beauty of the garden that she didn’t hear the fairy telling Mariah that they get that reaction from first-time visitors all the time.

“Mariah, you were right. This is amazing.”

“Wait until you taste their rose tea and vanilla cubes cake.”

Rosella said delightedly, “Excellent choice! Please follow me, I will give you the prettiest pergola.” When the young women were seated the fairy handed them two menus which were made of thick yellow papyrus. “When you want to order just say me name.” And with a swish of her tiny wings she was gone.

Heather stared at the menu: curved glowing letters were forming indeed strange meals like dashing carrot ball and cold fruit nightjuice. She searched for the vanilla cubes cake. The description beneath it said ‘A waffle cake with solid vanilla cubes to enhance the senses’. She turned to Mariah, “Who puts solid vanilla cubes on a waffle? Isn’t it supposed to be creamy?”

“On the contrary, it’s delicious.” Mariah’s face split into a wide smile.

The young women ordered rose tea and the vanilla cubes cake as Mariah had suggested. The names were a little off, but the cake melted sweetly in the mouth and the rose tea was a gentle as a petal.

As the sun was beginning to set and the music coming from the dance floor was making the adrenaline move faster through the bloodstream Heather and Mariah were heading home contented and happy. Before they even reached the wide open gates for exit they heard somebody calling out their names. They turned around. Smiling at them Alexander Jackman, who was studying at college with them.

“Heather, Mariah, I thought I saw you. I wasn’t wrong.”

“Alex, oh my god! How good to see you!” Heather exclaimed. “We haven’t talked since college. You look good.” She couldn’t believe that Alex was still the handsome blond heartbreaker that he had been at college.

“Yes, long time no see. So, are you enjoying yourselves?”

“Tremendously,” Mariah said. “How long has it been since we last talked? Five years?”

“Seven, actually,” he smiled humbly. That was the smile that used to melt ladies’ hearts.

“So, what are you doing here?” Heather asked with interest. “I mean, it’s not your usual going out place as far as I remember.”

“Oh, yeah…well, I was – dragged here, to tell the truth. It’s my niece’s fifth birthday and my sister Rita insisted on this place.”

“Now this I believe.” Heather laughed.

“Hey, would you like to meet my family? We’re over there,” he suggested indicating the pergola that was located a few inches from the dance floor.

“That would be great,” Mariah said. She whispered in Heather’s ear, “Oh my god, he’s so cute!”

“Isn’t he?!” Heather whispered back. She scowled. “Mariah, you have a boyfriend!”

At that moment Alexander offered his both hands to the young women. “Shall we, ladies?”

“Hey, guys, these are Heather and Mariah, my old college friends,” Alex said as soon as they entered the pergola where his family was celebrating the birthday of his niece. “I haven’t seen them in seven years. And these are my sister Rita, her husband James, my niece Dawn and my parents, Phyllis and John.”

“Hi, everybody,” Heather said. “It’s nice to meet you all.”

Mariah glanced at her watch. She turned to Heather. “I forgot I was supposed to meet my sister at the airport. Will it be alright if you returned home alone?” They were sharing a flat.

“I thought she was arriving in two days.”

“Oh, she decided to make it early. There’s a job offer she wants to check out.”
“Sure, go ahead. Give her the spare room.”

“Ok, I’ll see you in the apartment.”

“Bye.”

As soon as Mariah was with her back to them she allowed herself a triumphant smile. Of course, her sister was arriving only in two days. Mariah wasn’t a very good liar, but she had to make up some excuse to leave Heather alone with Alexander. She’d explain her motives later, hoping her friend won’t be too mad at her.

At that moment a fairy approached Mariah floating above her. The fairy said, “Excuse me, ma’am, do you need a ride home?”

“Do you still have those carriages with the unicorns?”

“Yes, of course.”

“I’d love to.”

Meanwhile, Heather had been engaged in a conversation with Alexander and his family.

“So you met at the college?” Rita, a blonde with light eyes, asked Heather and Alex.

Heather said, “Yes, we took the same classes.” She turned to Alex, “Do you remember Mr. Badwrench?”

He laughed. “How can I forget? I had an argument with him over my final grade. He hated me.”

“Uncle Alex, can you fix my balloon?” little Dawn, who owned her mother’s hair and wearing a white flowery dress, said holding up a loosened balloon.

“Sure, give me the balloon.”

While Alexander was blowing the balloon his mother Phyllis spoke. “Heather, I think I remember you. You and Alex went out on a date once. Alex told me.” Her voice was pleasant and awoken with interest. She liked the young woman so far.

At his mother’s words Alex was so taken aback that he accidentally released the balloon. “Mother, don’t,” he half-warned half-begged.

“Why not, son? Remember how you used to talk about her? Now I see why.”

“And what did you exactly say about me?” Heather asked Alex with interest.

“I think you know exactly how I felt about you.”

“No, I don’t know.”

At that moment an elf entered their pergola. “Is there anything you need?”

Rita turned to her husband. “Honey, I think it’s time to take Dawn to a unicorn ride.”

He saw the alerted expression on her and understood the hidden meaning. “You’re right,” he agreed. “Come on, princess, we’re going to ride a unicorn.”

“Really? Is it white?” Dawn said as they left the pergola.

When they left Heather was still staring hard at Alex. She didn’t know that the look in her eyes was disabling him from speaking.

“Alex, we were just friends,” Heather said. “After that date we decided to be just friends. I’m not sure I understand what you mean.”

He was still unable to speak, and he was burning with impatience to let her know. Instead of getting out the words he sealed a brief, hard kiss on her soft lips. It sent shivers going down her spine. He noticed it and asked, “Are you cold? Here, you can have my jacket.”

“Alex, I’m not cold. It’s the kiss.” She hesitated. “Why didn’t you say something back then?”

“I didn’t want to scare you away,” he said admiring her brown hair and dark eyes. “Would you – would you agree if I asked you to dance?”

Heather urged the blushing away. It was embarrassing. “I sure will,” she said coolly.

“You go ahead, crazy kids,” Alex’s mother said as they were going to the dance floor.

Alexander stopped an elf carrying a basket of red roses, paid for one and said, “Please accept this without a commitment.”

“Alex, it’s beautiful.”

“As you are,” he said leading his lady to the dance floor.

The night was young and the stars were staring down at them as the soft sounds the centaur was getting from his violin took them away…floating above on a cloud of their own.

Heather said after a while, “Alex, isn’t it weird that I found love in a place fit for fairytales?”

“No. Because I retrieved mine in the exact same place, and maybe this time it lasts a little bit longer.”

Their lips grew closer until they met.

The End




© Copyright 2011 Allyann (allyann at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788401-Elven-Garden-Tea-Party-Entry