*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788799-Article-on-Synonyms
Rated: E · Article · Other · #1788799
Article used by permission of the author Red Writing Hood
Synonyms: The Key to Writing Tight
By Red Writing Hood <3 Used by permission of the author

THE KEY
Writing tight requires using precise words. This is especially important when writing poetry. Synonyms are the keys.

I could say: the cold floor was so cold my feet felt frozen. OR: the frigid floor froze my feet. The word cold is a great example because there are numerous synonyms for that word. Here are a few:

Siberian
algid
arctic
benumbed
biting
bitter
blasting
bleak
boreal
brisk
brumal
chill
chilled
cool
crisp
cutting
frigid
frosty
frozen
gelid
glacial
hawkish
hyperborean
icebox
iced
icy
inclement
intense
keen
nipping
nippy
numbed
numbing
penetrating
piercing
polar
raw
shivery
sleety
snappy
snowy
wintry

Okay, so maybe it was more than a few.

TESTING THE LOCK
So, now you have a pile of keys. Which one do you use?

There are several things to think of when choosing a synonym for your poetry. In my example above I chose frigid both because of its meaning and because it allowed for some alliteration. This word also adds depth to the line by activating the reader's background knowledge of the word. If I had chosen frosty instead you would have pictured something slightly different. Neither selection would be the only selection correct to chose, rather it comes down to writing style, what image the poet wants to convey, and voice.

Other things to consider are audience, rhythm, and form.

OPENING THE DOOR
First, figure out places in your rough draft where you can edit.

Next, gather up some possible word choices and make notes on your priorities. Consider the things I mentioned above (e.g. rhythm, style). Do some research of word meanings, take some words for a test drive-see what feels right for your poetry piece. As you practice with this (and other word knowledge expanding activities) it will become more automatic.

One last note: Does this mean you don't use the word cold? Of course not! If it fits and feels right for your piece, then by all means use it.

RESOURCES
--thesaurus.com (I retrieved many of the words in my list of synonyms above from this online source-it also has a tool called a visual thesaurus to help you target in on the best word.)
--dictionary.com (know the precise meanings of words with this online source)
© Copyright 2011 Turtle ~ KanyáthƐko:wa:h (marnts at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788799-Article-on-Synonyms