*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788852-together-again-someday
by KcG
Rated: E · Short Story · Tragedy · #1788852
my first attempt at something sad, I will edit it as I get suggestions.
Mrs.Miller turns her face up toward the cloudy grey sky, she takes a deep breath smelling the clean air that says rain is on the way. She shakes out her black dress as she walks up the steps to the funeral home that has an air of sadness and hoplessness. Even as her family hugs her and shares tears and memories she still feels the sense of falling into darkness. She fakes a smile to friends and does her best to keep walking down the long aisle to an open casket. She walks in a dream like state almost convincing herself it isn't her beloved husband in the casket, a dream that is shattered the moment she sees his pale face. The lips that had smiled at her for forty years, now never will again. The hands that had wiped away her tears, now folded together his wedding ring still upon his finger. Mrs.Miller caressed her husbands cheek, still hoping for the warmth to come flooding back to him. But he remained still and cold, Mrs.Miller bent her head over the man she had loved all her life and cried, her long silver hair hide her face from other mourners. She had never been without him, how was she to go on now? Go back to an empty house, filled with only memories of what she lost. The priest calls for everyone to take their seats, Mrs.Miller wipes the tears from her face before taking her seat in the front row.
Mrs.Miller listens to the priest as he reads a list of her husband's accomplishments, somehow the list didn't capture how truley amazing he was. Everone in the room knew of her husbands accomplishments as a teacher, awards he'd won, etc. But what about the things that made him special? that made him the man she loved? How he had built their kids a tree house, told them bed time stories, and let them curl up in bed with them when they got scared. It was her turn to speak, she looked out at all the people, family, friends,so many lives touched by her husband. "My husband was a very special man, so kind, and compassionate. A proud father, grandfather, a wonderful friend, and a loving husband. When I think about how much I'm going to miss him, it makes me feel like a peice of me has died with him. In forty years I've always had him by my side, and it kills me to think about not having him with me anymore. When i sit down to eat, it will be only me. When I go to bed, his side will be empty. And now as I stand here saying my final goodbye to the man I gave my heart to so long ago, I can only wish that one day, I'll be able to be with him again." Mrs.Miller chocked out her last words, tears running down her face. One day she would join her husband, but for now she would stay and just remember him.
© Copyright 2011 KcG (krg502 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1788852-together-again-someday