*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1789390-The-Playground
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Emotional · #1789390
Story of dying lifetime friendship.
When we were kids, the slide looked so big. The swings swung so high, and the ladder touched the sky. We'd hold hands as we ran into our pretend world. We could be pirates, princesses, and even dogs. It was ours for the taking and nobody could get in our way. We'd play for hours as we romped through the ocean, palace, and the forest.
Years went by and we still came to our world. We brought new friends, and our world got bigger and bigger. Our friendship would never die, just flourish. Eventually our world flourished so much, it extended outside of the playground. We took it to school, stores, and even the car on the weekends we would go to the movies. We brought more and more people into our world, and it eventually expanded to the size of the earth. It was still our world, we could do what we wanted, but instead of being pirates and princesses, we had boyfriends and jobs. We stayed together, never to be broken apart. Until one day when a black hole exploded across our world.
We tried to hold on. We reached for each other as we were torn apart, but the black hole would never stop. We were supposed to be together forever, princesses until the end, but the black hole swung us in all directions. I stood and watched as she was sucked in, never to be seen again.
The slide suddenly looked so small, and the swings looked so weak. The ladder no longer touched the sky, just the shortest tree. The clouds covered what was once ours as we were forced apart. We couldn't help but think this was meant to be.
As much as we tried to stop, to not move again, our world kept going constantly. It was so big, it had a mind of it's own. So we kept going on. Our world kept expanding, but we stayed apart. Eventually we went on too. We met new people, got new jobs, but I can't help but think that my world will ever be the same. Because I knew you, I will never be the same. Without you, my world wouldn't be alive.
© Copyright 2011 Courtney (townkryier at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1789390-The-Playground