*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790328-Dodging-the-Drops
Rated: E · Essay · Experience · #1790328
Sharing a view of my drive to the shops


Dodging the Drops.




In our valley, and I say ours.. because of course it's not mine totally, although I like to think it is... there is a steep road that reaches from the valley floor, over the ford, and up to the top of the hill.



This is not the type of road that anyone would care to walk, unless of course you are 'in training' for some fitness event. The road is just two lanes, and embellished on either side by houses set way back from the road, so all you can see is gum trees that lean over the road with todays wet branches, and the houses just barely can be peeked at quickly..



This road is called ' Wynns Road' after the original landowners.. I fancy they must have been bakers, or at least some of the relatives must have been, because a little heritage bakery is still there open for weekend viewings once a month.



This tiny building is built very close to the valley floor and abuts the creek and the ford crossing... has a bit of a clearing around it.. although, I suppose, I wouldn't know if the ford was there years ago..I reckon the horse and carts found a path to the bakery somehow though.



The building is tiny, just four walls and an outhouse, and I imagine that somewhere inside there once was a rotund man or woman dressed in the style, baking bread and cakes and all good things. Being rotund, I cant imagine that between the hearth and the table, there would have been much room for anything else except baking equipment of the day.. but I guess we are spoilt in our homes now..



I can imagine how cosy and warm it would have been, and how the smell of baking bread would have drifted up the valley..



Well, as I drove up this road today, with blackened sky, the rain having decided to take a spell from raining, the tall white barked gums with the patches of pink and grey looked like sentinals signalling doom for the day... if not doom, at least you didn't have to be blind freddy to know that the sun was never going to shine today... the branches that overhung the road were dropping their excess be it water or leaves on tresspassing cars...





Yeah Yeah,,, I got to play dodge the drops...



© Copyright 2011 merriweather (merriweather at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790328-Dodging-the-Drops