*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790861-The-Patchwork-Man-chpt-two
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by GiGi
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Sci-fi · #1790861
The continuing story of a put-togethe man.
Chapter Two

         A week passed since Dr. Purvis’ death. His funeral was held amid much vid coverage and fanfare. Too many politicians and far too many military types were in attendance. What should’ve been a solemn ceremony quickly descended into an old century three ring circus. Close to four hours later, Harlan Bradbury Purvis was finally laid to rest. As the attendees milled around at the gravesite, Aoki was tapped on the shoulder. It was Dr. Oppenheimer.

         “They’re having the reading of the will at the cemetery offices. I need you to come with me.”

         “Why is this being done now?”

         “It was Dr. Purvis’ wishes. Come on, let’s just get this done.”

         Following Dr. Oppenheimer, the two arrived at the office, which was surrounded by several Secret Service agents. Seated in one of the chairs set out, the solicitor came in and sat, will in hand.

         “Dr. Purvis was quite an eccentric individual. He requested that the execution of his will be done in this manner.  The will is brief and this should not require much time. Now, to Dr. Aoki Taylor, Dr. Purvis bequeathed his entire fortune, which includes his entire portfolio and all properties in his possession, excluding the main house in the District of Columbia Domes. Dr. Paul Oppenheimer, the doctor bequeathed to you his home in the Domes, along with all rights to his research conducted at the Center.”

As the solicitor read the remaining codicils of Dr. Purvis’s will. Aoki sat stunned. Unable to concentrate, the realization hit her that Dr. Purvis had left her a wealthy woman. As for Dr. Oppenheimer, the Dr. Purvis’ will might have saved his life. Once the solicitor completed, everyone was dismissed. Inadvertently walking out together, Oppenheimer broke the silence.

“Dr. Purvis left us both rather well off. Being unemployed never felt so good, eh, Dr. Taylor?”

“Only you would find that statement worthy of comment. I am still going to work as a surgeon, that won’t change. That money can save a lot of lives, which is what I intend to do with it. Just be careful, Paul. I don’t think you have it as well as you think. Have a good life.”

Aoki kept walking, with Paul staring at her. Angered that he let her get the last word, he walked away. Before he could get to his transport, a government type stopped him.

“I would advise you to search Purvis’ research and find our project, Oppenheimer. Or the next grave dug here will be for you. Good day.”

“What’s good about that?”

Meanwhile, back at Ms. Marjorie’s dwellingspace, and odd event was taking place. As Ms. Marjorie sat enjoying the afternoon breeze, wanting to be on hand when Aoki returned.  Sensing eyes upon her, she turned and was startled by the stranger standing in front of her. Setting a rather large rucksack down, he took off his old century styled fedora with a captivating smile on his face.

“Good midday to you, ma’am. I am looking for Dr. Aoki Taylor. Is this the correct address for her?”

“Who might you be?” Ms. Marjorie asked suspiciously.

“My name is Ian Hamlett. I was sent by Dr. Purvis to see Dr. Taylor. Is she in, please?”

Taken aback, Ms. Marjorie stood. Concerned, she wondered whether the OPS needs to be called.

“She isn’t in. She’s attending Dr. Purvis’ funeral. Didn’t you know about his death?”

Shadows crept across the young man’s face after hearing Ms. Marjorie’s statement. Thinking that odd, she wasn’t sure what to do next. Regaining his composure, Ian spoke again.

“It is important that I make contact with Dr. Taylor. This is in accordance with Dr. Purvis’ wishes. His directive must be followed to the letter. May I wait here for the doctor?”

Instantly on alert, the stranger’s demeanor had Ms. Marjorie concerned. She didn’t when Aoki was returning and really didn’t want the young man hanging about.

“I can’t say when Dr. Taylor will return. If you want to wait, I suggest you wait at the Pen and Quill restaurant two blocks down. The food and the service are very good. Have lunch and come back in a couple of hours. I’ll tell Dr. Taylor to expect you when she returns.”

Nodding, Ian put on his hat, picked up his rucksack and departed. Exhaling, Ms. Marjorie watched him as he faded from sight. Everything about the young man seemed off somehow. From his clothes to the way he spoke, nothing seemed to fit. And how come he didn’t know Dr. Purvis was dead? Sitting down again, she kept a vigil for Aoki. An hour later, Aoki returned at last.

“Aoki, honey, a young man came to see you.”

“Okay. So why are you so jittery? What did the guy want?”

“He said Dr. Purvis sent him to you.”

“A dead man sent him over. Really? Did he say what it was about?”

“No. I sent him to the Pen and Quill about an hour ago. I wasn’t letting him wait around here.”

“I’ll go see him there. Let me run upstairs, drop this stuff and change. This should be an interesting story.”

Quickly, Aoki rushed upstairs to change. She put the will information in a safe place before leaving. She decided to walk at a leisurely pace, almost grateful for the distraction. Something set her unflappable landlady on edge and Aoki wanted to find out what. The Pen and Quill was a nice little neighborhood restaurant run by one Augustus Short. Augustus decided to settle in Old Baltimore after he retired from the Northern Security Forces five years ago. Opening a restaurant, it soon became a favorite gathering spot. Walking in, hellos from friends greeted her.

“Hey! Hey! There’s my favorite Doctor! Have a seat doll! I’ll have your usual up front and center in a minute.”

Scanning the restaurant, Aoki could see what unnerved her landlady. Straight out of an old century magazine, sat her mysterious visitor. The young man saw Aoki and waved her over. Curiosity trumped concern and she walked over. Standing up, Ian pulled out a chair and helped Aoki be seated. Extending a hand, he introduced himself.

“Dr. Purvis described you perfectly, Dr. Taylor. I’m pleased to finally make your acquaintance. I am Ian Hamlett and Dr. Purvis wanted me to come to you if anything happened to him.”

“How and when did he contact you and why did he send you to me?”

Before he could answer, Augustus placed Aoki’s usual in front of her. Her usual was simple; a hamburger loaded (no tomato) and a generous helping of French fries. No matter how much the situation creeped her out, Aoki would never say no to her favorite meal. Ignoring Ian for the moment, she dug in. Ian smiled, remembering Dr. Purvis said Aoki had a rather ravenous appetite.

“Dr. Purvis mentioned that you enjoyed a good hamburger.”

Aoki chewed and stared at Ian. Handsome; clean cut; neatly, but oddly dressed, this guy was a Dr. Purvis sponsored enigma. Between bites, she asked why he was sent to her.

“Dr. Purvis said that you would be the one who will help me. I have a message from him that will answer your questions.”

“How do I know you didn’t kill him?”

“Why would I kill my creator? I should say that would be literally biting the hand that fed you.”

Aoki put down her hamburger and stared at Ian, puzzled.”

“You’re what?”

“We can’t discuss that here. Once you have completed your meal, we’ll go back to your apartment and I’ll let Dr. Purvis explain what I meant. Please, finish your meal.”

Ian sat quietly as Aoki finished eating. Not a word passed between them while she sat staring and chewing. Before she could pay, he stopped her.

“I took care of payment already. Come, let’s go back to your home. We have much to discuss.”

Ian stood and helped Aoki up, as a gentleman should. They left the restaurant, walking in continued silence. She wasn’t sure what to make of her strange visitor. Was she taking her life into her hands? Was she letting a murderer into her livingspace? Reaching her dwellingspace, she found Ms. Marjorie right where she left her.

“I’m glad you home safe, honey.”

“Sure. I’m taking Ian here up to my place so that I can find out why Purvis sent him to me. Don’t be worried, I should be fine.”

Aoki led Ian up to her livingspace. Not quite certain she doing the smartest thing in the world, but being a scientist, the desire to know will always outweigh fear. Swiping her key, Ian entered quietly behind her, smiling. Dr. Purvis said Aoki had a fascination with old Earth culture and that was reflected in her décor.

“This is very lovely. Dr. Purvis said you enjoyed old century things.”

“Thanks. Okay, so how can I help you?”

He handed her a holochip. Aoki put it in her holo-drive and within seconds, Dr. Purvis’ image materialized and his strange tale began.

“Dr. Taylor…Aoki. If you’re watching this, then I’m dead. I will start by saying I apologize. You were correct in assuming that working with the government wasn’t smart. We created ways of patching men up and saving their lives using so many wonderful discoveries. The creation of a blood product; grafting and growing new brain cells; growing new skeletal structures, skin and muscle, and the thing you scoffed at most; creating an artificial intelligence capable of becoming a sentient being. We’ve done so much to preserve life that the government wanted to find out if we could actually create it. While I was working on the government’s project, Ian was an accident I couldn’t recreate with any success. Ian is my Adam! He isn’t some old century story out of a warped imagination! He is as real as you and I!”

Dr. Purvis’ countenance changed from that of a confident scientist to that of a broken, old man. Aoki was mystified at the transformation, but as he continued, she understood why.

“I ignored your talk of God and repentance and did the unthinkable. As Ian grew and came into his own, I was cognizant of the fact that the government couldn’t get control of Ian and misuse this gentle creature for military purposes. Don’t look for blueprints or schematics for there are none. What created Ian is going to Hell with me.”

Dr. Purvis sighed mournfully. Aoki didn’t bother wiping away her tears, neither did Ian. The doctor himself wept bitterly.

“What can I say? I had a God complex. In my arrogance, I truly believed I could resurrect humanity but it proved to be a fool’s errand. Heaven was made for the angels and righteous men; Hell was made for sinners and blasphemers like me. Protect Ian. I entrust mankind’s future into your capable hands. Pray for my soul. Goodbye, my friend.”

The doctor disappeared forever. Dr. Purvis, her mentor and friend, was lost to Aoki forever. Ian laid a comforting hand on her shoulder. She took the chip and destroyed it. Shaking and filled with horror, she gave Ian a withering gaze. The gravity of her predicament had her sinking deeply into her chair.

“Dr. Purvis, what have you done and why did you leave it on my doorstep?” Aoki muttered.

“He never trusted Dr. Oppenheimer. Dr. Purvis said he was an opportunistic weasel.”

Aoki laughed at that one.

“Now he tells me!”

Looking at Ian again, he appeared to be an honest, guileless soul, but that couldn’t be possible. He was an artificially constructed being, not a real man. It was pure madness! For the first time in her life, Aoki was truly speechless.

“Don’t be concerned with how I came to be. I’m here, I exist. I am a fully functioning man who breathes, bleeds, eats and dream wonderful things. Help me, Dr. Taylor, just as Dr. Purvis requested.”

“I have no idea what I’m supposed to do with you. Just put your bag in the second bedroom and make yourself at home. I need time to think.”

“I’ll leave you to your thoughts, Dr. Taylor.”

Ian stood, grabbed his rucksack and followed Aoki’s instructions. Aoki sat staring into space, her mind racing.

“Why do I get the feeling my life’s in danger? Of course, I’m sitting on a nuclear bomb.”

         While Aoki mind continued spinning, Ian, lying down, was also deep in thought. He imagined Aoki to be more confused than angry. Having a patchwork man on your doorstep can evoke foreboding. Dr. Purvis’ legacy was a potentially life-threatening inheritance. She didn’t understand the reasoning behind her mentor’s wishes, but she soon will. The doctor’s directive was clear; Aoki was an integral part of his master plan.

         “I will carry out your directive, Dr. Purvis. I will not fail you.”





© Copyright 2011 GiGi (gigigirl at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1790861-The-Patchwork-Man-chpt-two