*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791241-Dinner-with-God
Rated: E · Article · Religious · #1791241
In life we want God's guidance, but are "picky eaters" with what He dishes up for us.
Have you ever wondered what it would be like to have dinner with God?  I mean, really sit down at a table and have a meal with Him?  Wouldn’t that be something! 

“So my child, what would you like for starters?”  He might say,  “The shrimp is really good, I would suggest that.”  Would you trust His judgment?  Would you let Him order for you?  You’ve never been here before, so why wouldn’t you trust Him.  You could reply with “Yes, it does sound good, but the garlic roll sounds delicious!  I’ll rather have that.”  Well, you’re garlic roll is delicious in the end, but somehow He seems to be enjoying the shrimps so much that you find the bread drying out in your mouth when you watch Him.

Time for the main course.  You’ve learnt your lesson now.  “My child, I know the rump here is the best.  You should really try it.” Father says.  Okay, He was right with the shrimps, you might as well take what He recommends for the main course.  Minutes later your plate arrives.  The rump is fantastic!  You barely have time to talk, before you have to get another bite.  But these veggies that it came with, yuck.  You could’ve done without that, so you push it to one side of the plate.  He watches you with a strange look in His eyes while He chews on His veggies.

After the plates are cleared you look at Him and ask, “What’s for dessert Father?”  “No dessert today my dear, you’ve had enough I think,” He replies laughing.  You feel rather offended, can’t you decide for yourself?  You definitely think ice cream and hot chocolate sauce is just what the doctor ordered.  “No, really, I think I’ll have some” and you order.  He takes a long sip from his straw, watching you intently.  You’re feeling rather uncomfortable now, maybe you should’ve skipped the pudding, what does it matter anyway?  But the ice cream arrives, and as soon as it is set down in front of you, you forget all thoughts of regret.  It looks divine!!  In a few minutes you finish off every last drop. 

Ouch, you feel so full.  Can you burst if you ate too much?  Maybe you should loosen your belt  a bit, it’s feeling very tight now.  You sigh, trying to feel content, but the overwhelming sensation of being an over inflated balloon just won’t go away.  Perhaps He was right, you were full.  Oh why did you have to have that bowl of ice cream?  You wish you hadn’t.

Do you realise that your whole life is like a meal with God?  The moment you let Him enter, He comes and dines with you.  It is easy to see this whole scenario  play off in your mind, once you think about it like that.  God knows what is best for you, He knows what you’d like best as well.  Why not trust Him to make that decision for you?  Then when we finally learn He knows best, we become picky with what He gives us.  Some things we enjoy, others we shove to the side and complain about it.  And finally He knows when we’ve had enough.  Too much of a good thing.  But still we’re not content to trust His judgment.  We look at the world (or the menu) and desire what we see there, even though He’s blessed us with so much already. 

After the whole meal is finished, you walk out with God, thanking the staff for the service.  One of the waiters pulls you to one side and whispers in your ear; “You’re a very special person to that man.”  He’s pointing to God and you follow his gaze, “Why would you say that?” you ask.  “Because He’s been in here for ages cooking up that meal especially for you.  He was particularly concerned about the shrimp sauce, that it should be perfect.  Not to mention the vegetables which He picked in His own garden this afternoon.  You must be very special for Him to go to all that trouble.” 

Your life is not just thrown together, it is carefully planned and set out.  Eat what the Father gives you with a thankful heart, because nothing on the menu could ever be as satisfying as what He has planned for you.

“Behold, I stand at the door and knock.  If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.” Rev 3:20

© Copyright 2011 Ladybug (bennemeer at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791241-Dinner-with-God