*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791869-Dragons-Tear-Chapter-1
by Rhia
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1791869
Kodar rescues a girl from the Red Cross, but will his life be cut short because of it?
Would like to hear thoughts about this. Ratings and reviews very much appreciated.

Chapter 1

I remember the first time I saw his face… it was both the end and beginning of my life.

Kodar gazed out the window of his room on the second floor of the inn and sighed seeing the white masts of ships docked at port and the old buildings weathered down by fierce storms. A salty breeze filled with the smells of fish, ocean, and often times alcohol was ever present in the seaport town of Aldview. It was not a large town, nor was it small but it was always lively and bustling.

It was not the same as it used to be however; many things had changed since the Red Cross took over twelve years ago, or so his aunt told him. He had only been five at the time but he still had a few fuzzy memories. No longer were the ships that came into town carrying exotic, often magical goods or people. The use of sorcery or possession of a magical item was something that would get you tied to a stake and burned the moment you were discovered. Instead the people were the normal sort, mostly merchants stopping in port on their way to the capital city, Linwald.

He sighed, "I wish there was some way I could get out of this town. It's so boring here." Kodar had always wished he could do something important with his life. He was grateful for his aunt taking him in, but tavern work was dull. Every day rowdy sailors drinking and telling tall tales, locals relaxing after a long day of work, and there were only so many ways you could scrub a pot.

Once when he was eight a trio of warriors had come to stay at the inn. All of them had seemed so impressive with their strong bodies covered in scars from numerous battles. At the time he was too nervous to go up and talk to them, but how he had daydreamed of being like them one day. For weeks he had pretended to battle monsters wielding broom handle sword and armored in a tin bucket helm. Chuckling to himself he thought, "If I wouldn't be made fun of for doing it I would put on that tin bucket helm and take a few swings at an imaginary horde of goblins right now."

"I suppose I better see if I'm needed." He muttered to himself. It was still early yet, so if he was lucky it wouldn't be busy and he could have some time to himself.

He found his aunt and uncle in the kitchen together, cooking up a storm in preparation for the afternoon meal. His aunt was a small woman, but in no way was she frail. She had a face that most would consider average, but may have at one time been quite pretty, and her most notable feature was her bright hazel eyes that often times changed colors depending on the light. Her personality was fiery, and her legendary temper could put even the rowdiest sailor in line. In short, she was the exact opposite of his uncle. He was tall and had dark hair and eyes with broad shoulders and a rugged face that reminded Kodar very much of the soldiers that came in every once and a while, but despite his intimidating presence he was a quiet man and Kodar had never once heard him raise his voice.

She smiled broadly when she saw him, "Good morning dear, did you sleep well?"

He nodded, "Do you need help with anything?"

She looked at her husband and after fifteen years of marriage they understood each other with just a glance. They had many of such conversations. His uncle was a man of very few words but his eyes said everything.

His aunt answered the question cheerfully, "Not at the moment. Take some time to yourself; just make sure your back by lunch, your uncle will need your help in the kitchen."

He thanked her and left excitedly, knowing exactly where he was going to go. He walked down the road weaving between carts and sailors carrying heavy knapsacks and finally turned down an ally which led him to a mostly empty street. His destination stood before him, an old building – one of the buildings originally built with the town. It was worn down and rather dismal looking; many of the younger children were afraid to come here for fear of the current resident. Kodar knew no such fear and boldly knocked on the door.

He smiled as the door creaked open, "Afternoon Riven."

The door opened all the way and his old friend opened his arms in welcome, "Come in Kodar!" he chuckled, "You should know by now to just let yourself in."

Kodar looked up at his friends face, or what he could see of it. Riven was blind and had always kept his eyes and the bridge of his nose covered by a large white bandage tied in a knot at the back of his head. Kodar had never asked what happened, but he had a good idea from the long scar that ran from just over the top of the bandage on the right side to half way down his cheek. The cut was so clean that it could have only been caused by a blade.

Kodar had never seen Riven's face in full light as his house was dark, and with no need for light to see by why shouldn't it be? Riven rarely left his house either, and when he did he shrouded himself in a dark cloak with the hood pulled up over his face. Kodar often found himself wondering how old the man was. He was young enough that his steps were still spry and he had no difficulty walking, but his voice and demeanor spoke of years that were beyond Kodar's own.

"I suppose next time I'll do that" Kodar said cheerfully.

"How are your aunt and uncle?"

Kodar chuckled. Riven always asked the same question every time he visited, "They are doing well – as is business."

Riven nodded and smiled at him, "That is good to hear." He sat down in a large, comfortable armchair, "Now I suppose you came to hear me ramble some more."

Kodar laughed, "You never ramble! Your stories are amazing!"

Riven chuckled and gestured to the armchair across from him, "Well sit down and we'll begin."

Kodar obliged and sank into the worn chair. It was very old and threadbare but very comfortable. Despite how wonderful his aunt and uncle treated him this dimly lit room sitting with his friend was where he was happiest. The old house was dark and quiet, and though most people found Riven's appearance disconcerting he quite enjoyed the man's company. He was very intelligent and engaging in conversation, and his stories were much better than the local legends; despite how amusing sailors' claims might be, if he believed them all then each would have killed a hundred pirates and rescued twice as many damsels.

Riven sat in thought for a moment before beginning to speak, "Hmm. This is not a story per-say but a forgotten prophecy, lost with the emergence of the Red Cross."

"When a dragon's tear falls

It brings deaths call

It marks the end

As the message death sends

A dragon who will one day come

Will have a heart with light brighter than the sun

And will shed a crystal tear

Filled with a light evil shall fear

But evil shall know a different foe

Who's own identity was never known

The Child of Heaven and Earth

Whose power will be sealed at birth

The Child shall become the Champion of Light

Worlds defender and Heavens Knight"

Kodar gave Riven a puzzled look, unsure of what to make of the so called prophecy. It was so disjointed and open-ended he couldn't make heads or tails of the message. "What does it mean?" he asked, hoping to get enlightenment.

"I'm not even sure myself," Riven answered, shrugging his shoulders. "From what I can gather, the dragon shedding the crystal tear will mark the emergence of some sort of champion against evil. The prophecy is incomplete and I fear there is no way to recover the missing pieces."

Kodar sighed, disappointed. He stayed for a few more hours just talking and listening to his friend- mostly the latter. He left when he started getting the first grumbles of a hungry belly signifying it was lunch time and he would be needed at the inn.

He quickly said his goodbyes to Riven and made his way back home. Before he managed to reach the inn he heard a clamor on the next street over. "Now what could be going on over there?" he thought to himself.

His aunt wouldn't mind him being a few minutes late if he brought her a piece of news or gossip. Gossip was an important part of running a successful inn, it kept customers longer buying more drinks.

The first thing he saw when he turned down the street was a wall of people all whispering to each other with worried looks on their faces. The words he heard most clearly were "Red Cross." and "Poor girl…"

His mind raced; if it was the Red Cross making trouble then he definitely needed to know what was going on. The Red Cross was bad news for business, and everyone else as well. They rarely left their barracks on the south end of the town, but when they did there was sure to be trouble, and often times an execution. He swiftly made his way to the front of the crowd; luckily he was lean and managed to slip through without any trouble.

Two Red Cross Enforcers were circling a girl like wolves closing in on prey. Both had wicked grins on their faces as they made mocking grabs for the girl, taking pleasure as she shied away in fear.

"Come on girlie, why don't you use some of your magic on us. Your death will be quicker that way!" one of them taunted.

The girl made a break for the crowd, obviously hoping to get away from the Enforcers, but to no avail. They pounced on her before she even had a chance to take more than a few steps. The one holding her wrenched her arm around her back till the bone popped out of the socket. She cried out in pain, tears running down her face freely.

"Resisting arrest?" the Enforcer laughed cruelly as he looked out onto the crowd, "See only a sorceress would resist us! Why try to run if she has done nothing wrong. It is my duty to kill her now that she has proved herself to be guilty."

The man drew his black sword and slowly brought it to the girl's throat. Kodar felt rage building inside of his chest and couldn't stop himself from acting. He lunged out and grabbed the man's wrist before he could slide his blade across the girl's throat.

The man's partner was instantly on him, tackling him to the ground. The Enforcer who was about to kill the girl threw her aside like a ragdoll and looked at him with a fire in his eyes. He pointed his sword at Kodar slowly inching closer to his face.

"You would side with this witch?" The man spoke coolly, "Then you will die too, but I think I will make an example of you and make your death slow and painful. "

They both chuckled evilly as Kodar struggled beneath the one holding him. The man circled him luxuriously, as if he were preparing to enjoy a fine wine before he stopped, "I think the first thing I'll do is ruin that pretty face of yours…"

Kodar growled at him and struggled further against his captor, "Don't call me that!"

The man laughed mockingly, "What pretty? Have you looked at yourself boy, had you not a man's voice I'd surely have thought you a delicate maiden."

Kodar spat at him. The Enforcer grimaced and grabbed a hold of his face with his metal gauntlet digging into his skin. Kodar could see his reflection in the man's eyes as he leaned in close. Feathered brown hair framed a delicate face with high swept cheekbones and a straight nose – a face that looked much younger than his seventeen years. Almond shaped blue eyes glared under full lashes, and full lips snarled angrily.

The man suddenly brought his sword down on him, quick as lightning. He screamed as he felt a burning pain tear across his face, from his right eyebrow to his left cheekbone. Hot blood dripped into his eye and he felt sick. The pain was dizzying.

"These blades are forged from the horns of black unicorns, giving them the power to neutralize magic. They are also extremely poisonous, that way we know that even if a sorcerer escapes he will die anyways." The man leaned forward and whispered in his ear, "And just so you know, there is no cure."

The man pulled away and cackled manically, "You're a dead –"

His words were cut short by a shimmering white blade thrust through his chest. The man's legs gave out beneath him and he slid off the blade, dead. The blades wielder was stood motionless, and from what Kodar could make out, clad in shadows.

He felt the pain radiating from the cut on his face and felt it burning into his veins. The man hadn't been bluffing about the poison. He was so weak that he simply collapsed when the Enforcer holding him let go, unsheathing his sword to face this mysterious man.

Kodar saw with his good eye the girl he had been trying to rescue rush over to him, pulling him back away from the combat. When she had spent her own little strength doing dragging him she sat him up and cradled his body with her good arm.

Now that he could see her closely he realized she was quite pretty. Her dark brown hair tumbled over her shoulders in a waterfall of curls. Her eyes, filled with concern, were a deep violet flecked with silver. Her face was well structured, with pronounced cheekbones and a small nose. Her generous mouth managed to give him a weak smile.

He managed the strength to look at the ongoing battle, involuntarily gasping at the burning pain leaching into his arms and chest. The remaining Enforcer was making rushed passes at the man in the dark cloak. Each swing was blocked effortlessly with as little movement as possible. Finally the man in the dark cloak struck, seemingly a blurred shadow. His white sword flashed and the Enforcer froze. After a moment where time seemed to stop, his head rolled off his neck and fell with a thud to the ground. His body soon followed, laying a few inches away from the now unattached head.

The cloaked man strode forward and knelt down. Kodar's vision blurred just as he saw a pair of intense green eyes looking at him. He suddenly realized how tired he was as he felt himself being lifted out of the girls lap. The man's arms were very strong and he felt safe for some reason, leaning against his chest he heard his steady heartbeat and it put him at ease. He heard a voice speaking, but couldn't seem to make out the words, and then everything was dark.
© Copyright 2011 Rhia (rhia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791869-Dragons-Tear-Chapter-1