*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791896-Companionship
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Fantasy · #1791896
The tale of an eventful day in a wizards life.
“Old friend, would you happen to remember the way?” Raneor asked as he absently pulled on his silver beard. His demeanor gave no hint to his power and knowledge in the arcane arts; where it fell short, his robes and accessories more than made up for it. His flowing robes, the color of moonlight as it reflects off a warm shallow sea, were accentuated by two ribbons of arcane writing that ran down the center of his chest. The ribbons were a shade of blue that could only be described as the flash of a mighty arch of lightning. But most of all, one could tell his profession by his oldest friend who rarely left his shoulder.

“Sure I do” Thanor stated with a snort. He slowly folded back his blue wings from over his head. As he did, his wings sparkled and shone like a sapphire, the color and shine made many passersby think he was a bejeweled trinket. That is until he would talk to them. Squinting from the midday sun, he shifted his head to look directly ahead at the crossroads. “To the left, I think.”

“For all my faith in you my friend, you don’t seem too terribly sure.” Raneor remarked as he peered down at Thanor, his pointed hat nearly poking the dragon in the face. “We are in no terrible hurry; take some time to ponder it. Will take us less time then back tracking I dare say.”

“You are right, and while we wait how about some lunch.” No sooner had he finished the statement, than his stomach could be heard grumbling loud enough to make Raneor squint.

“Indeed we should, or I shall be deaf in my left ear.”

“What do you think we should have? Please don’t tell me you want to have vegetables again; you know we dragons have lived for millennia, just fine, before you decided we needed vegetables.”

“Yes, I do know that. But I also know that if you listen to me, and eat properly, you could live to see the next three millennia.”

“What is it about you humans that make you think everything else fears death as much as you?”

“Probably the same thing that makes us accomplish much more in less time.”

“That is true you do accomplish more in less time. But when you think about it, it may take the other races a hundred and fifty more years to accomplish the same task as you do in one generation. But the other races generations take much more than a hundred and fifty years. So in that respect you are not accomplishing enough.” Thanor snickered.

“So it is better to be lazy if you live longer. Is that what you are trying to say?”

As the two continued to bicker back and forth, they failed to notice the stench coming from the woods to their right. A creature resembling the long dead, and rotting, stump of a tree was the cause. It was cautiously moving through the woods trying not to alert its prey. Its snake like roots, and cudgel like arms helped it maneuver through the thick underbrush without making a sound. It wasn’t until the stump like monstrosity had cleared the woods and was making for the companions that they finally smelled its awful odor.

“Do you smell that?” Raneor asked as he caught a whiff of its pungent odor.

“I told you, dragons are not meant to eat plants!”

“Not that. I mean this rotting stench.” The two looked at each other for a moment then turned just in time to see the creature launch a lumbering swing in their direction. Just before its attack connected, its arm exploded amid a myriad of lights. The attack sent shockwaves flowing around the pair, outlining an invisible shell.

“And here I thought nothing could smell worse than your old books.”

“Please do more than jest, we short lived races are so busy you see.”

“Alright, but you owe me one.”

“Think of it as payment, for all the free rides you get on my shoulders.” With a snort, Thanor hopped off his perch and walked up to the creature.

“Wow, and you thought it stunk from over there? Once again I get the dirty work.” He began turning circles around the monster; clawing and nipping when-ever he saw an opening. “Hurry up will you, I will soon wretch from the stench of it.”

“Be patient.” Raneor quipped through a chuckle; he was thoroughly enjoying his companion’s discomfort. His face became sullen, and he began to chant softly at first, but growing louder. He could feel the energies flowing through him, building like waves in a storm. Slowly Raneor lifted his right hand up beside him. He channeled these energies into that hand; electricity began arcing between his fingertips. At the end of his chant the energy ignited the air its self, leaving a crimson ball of flame floating in his palm.

“I would move if I were you old friend.”

“As if you could harm me with that.”

“Alright but don’t complain later if it hurts.” Giving it a second thought Thanor jumped off the creature’s head, and onto Raneor’s shoulder. “I thought you might reconsider.”

“I just didn’t want to give you an excuse to attack me.”

With a chuckle Raneor hurled the flame at the creature. As the orb hit the creature it exploded, flames and lightning ripping through its body. The monster toppled immediately, lying motionless on the ground.

“You said you were hungry didn’t you, I even cooked it for you.”

© Copyright 2011 Untucoi (untucoi at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1791896-Companionship