*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792141-still-alive--daily-flash-fic-challenge
by dharma
Rated: ASR · Prose · Family · #1792141
first contest winner
“Will you just fix it, Bob?” Judy had made dinner over five minutes ago, and her husband was still fidgeting with the Christmas star.

“It’s got to be perfect, sweetie,” her husband replied. He rarely got time off from work, and he took Christmas very seriously.

“Look, dad!” Little Jimmy was at the window. “It’s a big star!”

Come eat or we’ll be late for the party at the Robertson’s house!”

“Dad, I see it too!” Bob looked down and saw a bright glow across his teenage daughter Christine’s face. He hopped off the step ladder and peered out the window.

Just like they said, a bright star was high in the night sky. But this star was getting brighter and larger every second. Bob scratched his head for a moment before realizing it was headed straight for them.

“Run!” Bob grabbed Jimmy by the shirt and scooped him up. The star crashed, and shook the house, throwing Bob and the kids to the ground. The tree crashed, the lights flickered and a violent wind flooded the house. Judy let out a bloodcurdling scream from the dining room.

“Judy!” Bob was wild. His kids were shaken, but okay. He thrashed his way to the door and found himself at the edge of a crater.

“Judy!”

“I’m here…” She could be heard weakly inside the crater. Bob spent no time jumping in, and quickly found her in the middle, covered a black liquid.

“It smells like paint.” Judy was visibly shaken, but unharmed. Bob touched it to his nose.

“It’s some strange oil…”

Looking up they saw their star—a massive alien vessel. The side was torn and burning. In the distance, a fleet of helicopters could be heard.

“This is bad,” said Bob. “But at least we’re all still alive.”

© Copyright 2011 dharma (bigvillage at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792141-still-alive--daily-flash-fic-challenge