*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792208-The-Unknown
Rated: E · Sample · Dark · #1792208
The beginning of one of the first stories I've written
I sat waiting. Waiting for dad to come home, wondering whether he will ever come. The answer was so clear, so obvious. I just could not bare it. I got up, destroying the evidence of my sadness. I wanted to forget but I just couldn’t bring myself to do it. I would never forget. I pushed myself as I walked out the door; I needed to get away from places of memory. I had to run from things so I wouldn’t remember therefore I wouldn’t have to forget. I had to get away from the world just for a little while. I walked outside towards the forest near my house. I knew nothing could find me here. No people, no memories. I wouldn’t remember what I didn’t want to remember. The pain, the misery. I began thinking to myself about starting a whole new life, a new place, new people, and make new memories to remember. I wanted to start a new life so I didn’t have to face the world like it was my enemy. I wanted to be happy so I wouldn’t have to put up with all this pain and misery I hated. I strolled deeper into the forest, just deep enough so I couldn’t possibly get lost but far enough to stay away from the rest of the world. Just for a little while longer I continued thinking about this new life I wanted to make, a life without sadness but filled with happiness and comfort. I didn’t want to live in reality no more, I wanted my own fairytale. I sighed, cutting out of my daydreams and begun to be restruck by reality. I kept walking, listening to my silent footsteps. Silent only to those who were not close enough to hear. I listened to the wind gently blowing through the trees like it was whispering words beyond my knowledge to them. It was calm. I decided to sit down after realising I could no longer push myself further. I had tired myself out enough. I sat down under the nearest tree I could find, leaning against its large base. I closed my eyes listening to the calm sounds of the forest. As the moments passed I could have almost sworn I could hear the trees talking, and then gently they began to quieten. I opened my eyes once more before sinking into darkness.

Snap! Bang! I jumped up startled by the loud sound that sounded close by. I realised I had fallen asleep and had been awakened by whatever had made that loud noise. I looked around trying to find what had made the sound only realising I had no idea what I was looking for, but still nothing was seen. Looking at the sky I soon noticed that the sun was dropping behind the horizon I should be heading home, so I got up and began walking the way home. I walked on and on waiting anxiously to get to the clearing near my house only to find out it wasn’t coming and it didn’t seem to look like it was coming anytime soon. The sun was nearly set and soon there would be no light to light my way, but I couldn’t go home because I had no idea which way was home. I sat back down knowing that if I went any further I could get myself even more lost than I already was. So I remained seated knowing eventually someone would come looking for me but only to realise no one knew I had come out into the forest and would probably think I was out with friends or something, they would never think to come looking for me because they probably thought I was safe. Great, just great. I’m lost alone in a forest, no one knows where I am and it’s getting dark. Can things get any worse. Snap! I jumped to my feet and turned immediately towards the sound only to see nothing. I stood on the spot for several minutes hoping eventually the thing would come out from hiding, but I was unlucky, I saw nothing. I began to think it was nothing and was about to walk away when... SNAP! Whatever the thing was it liked to break sticks and was getting closer too. I turned away from the direction of the noise and immediately started running in the opposite direction. I didn’t care where I was going as long as it was away from that thing, whatever it was. I kept running going as quick as I could. Then I did the worse thing possible, I tripped. Of all the times to be watching where I’m going now would have been the best of times, but of course like always I was stupid enough to not be paying attention. I sat there watching as blood dripped from my knee, the fall had ended with me being injured. I tried getting up; it was no use my muscles weren’t going to budge, especially after tiring them out from before. I sat there hoping that whatever was out there wouldn’t find me. Then suddenly it hit me, it could actually be someone and I had been running from them. I was so stupid, I was running from help. I yelled out seeing if I would get a response. I got nothing, not even a whisper. I yelled again, louder than before and still got nothing. I hated myself. I hated myself for getting lost, for being stupid enough to come out here in the first place. I hated the fact that I didn’t even tell anyone that I was out here or even leave a note at home saying where I was. For ages I just sat there thinking of reasons why I hated myself not even realising that I was no longer alone.

I looked behind me at an almost silent noise I had just heard. In the distance I could see something but I couldn’t pick it out in the shadows. I yelled out once again, hoping it was human but I got no reply. It then started to move towards me, that’s when I began to get scared. I immediately tried to get up; having an injured leg wasn’t helping at all. Failing on my first attempt and managing just on the second. Finally being able to stand I tried running. It wasn’t very good but it was well enough to try get away from whatever was coming for me. Half stumbling I noticed that I could see a clearing up ahead. Almost jumping for joy I began fastening my pace, for I knew it had to be home. I was almost there so I looked behind me trying to see if that thing was behind me. It was and it was closer than it was before. Finally making it into the clearing I almost sighed with relief until I noticed that it wasn’t home it was just a random large gap between the trees. I fell to my knees. I was finally giving in for good. I turned my head to look back from where I came; I saw that thing standing there. As it slowly stepped out into the first glimpse of moonlight I noticed it was human, I sighed with relief. They walked towards me going round to stand in front of me. I looked at them as they stared at me dead in the eyes. It was only then that I realised that this person was not in fact a person but something else in the form of a person. It was horrifying as I looked deeply into its blood red eyes. It was almost like it was gazing into my soul. I closed my eyes hoping that it would stop its continuous stare on me but as I opened my eyes its stare was upon me more than ever and was now right in front of me. I gave a sigh, not a sigh of relief but a sigh meaning I was giving up. I was giving up running from this thing, I had no choice but to give up, I couldn’t get away anyways. So I just remained sitting on the cold ground and bowed my head signalling I was giving up.

It knelt down in front of me still holding its gaze upon me. I closed my eyes once again waiting for whatever was going to happen next. Then I felt a sudden blast of pain, then after that faded I could feel the rush of my blood through my veins. Then it stopped. The pain, my blood they all stopped and all I could feel that remained was the soft beat of my heart.
© Copyright 2011 SarahRose (nessy1994 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1792208-The-Unknown