*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1793578-Poppys-Buttons---Fun-in-Functionality
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Other · Arts · #1793578
An article I wrote for Poppy's Buttons, a handmade jewelry company.
Poppy's Buttons - Adding a Spark of Fun to Functionality.



It isn’t likely that the average person places much regard for the buttons that fasten potential shirt and coat purchases. However, one Chicagoland family asks, why not? Poppy’s Buttons, an Internet-based accessory company is highlighting the fun in functionality. Using buttons as the focus, the ladies of Poppy’s Buttons craft handmade rings that fit an array of personalities and styles. I took a minute to interview one of the ladies at Poppy’s Buttons to find out the story behind this exciting and creative venture.

So, tell me, how did it all begin?

It started out when my sister and I were growing up, we were lucky enough to be a small branch in a family tree of creative thinkers. Our great grandmother was a wonderful cook, our great grandfather was a tailor and our grandmother, an aspiring opera singer. Our mom’s creative efforts were not as focused, but I can recall the afternoons spent playing with her homemade modeling clay and the unique dresses and blankets she made for our dolls.

Did you and your sister know this was your calling early on?

Well, I can’t say I felt that way. My sister and I were always creative, but I never felt like it would be my focus in life. I went off to college to study Psychology and earned a Bachelors degree from Bradley University and then studied Communication and Leadership Studies at Gonzaga University earning my Masters degree. After graduating from Bradley, I worked as an Editor for six years. My sister, on the other hand, seemed to know what she wanted to do. She took apparel design courses in high school, went to the Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising in Los Angeles and came home to be a freelance make-up artist and legal assistant. Our mother worked as an office administrative worker for most of her adult life, but the creative aspect was also just a recreation for her.

How did the company finally come together as it is today?


Actually, it isn’t the most exciting story. We always loved creating together or independently. Whenever we made something fun we would share it and envy the other person for their creative ability, but we never really discussed rolling our ideas together into a business, just that we wanted to at some point. I think we finally decided to take the leap after we realized that we can make it in Corporate America, but we didn’t really want to do it by working in an office or for other people.

What is the inspiration for the name of the company?


The business is named in honor of our great grandfather, Poppy Ben. Poppy Ben came to America from Russia in the early 1920s and worked as a tailor in the Army as well as Marshall Fields. He did a lot of projects at home.

I hear there that a cookie tin has something to do with this story?


Yes, the cookie tin. Well, my mother actually just told me that the cookie tin we have today is not the original, but it is essentially what he kept his collection of buttons in. We have had the cookie tin for many, many years. It started out more as a vessel of sentimental value. It was kept at our childhood home in the basement for a long time set next to his old fashion sewing machine.  When we moved, the cookie tin started to become more of the forefront in our creative discussions. By now, the buttons are mostly antiques. Some are very unique and we felt that they would be excellent pieces to add into our jewelry making. I guess the whole idea for button rings started there.

Are Poppy’s Buttons included in your creations for sale?

No, although we would love to share our family keepsakes with the world, we felt it would be hard to separate from something so valuable to our family. We get inspiration from his buttons and try to find newer buttons that mimic the patterns or materials, but pretty much all buttons are new.

What is it the button represents to you?

Buttons are seen as rather insignificant, I think. I love details, so if I happen to find a shirt or coat that has buttons I feel are cute, it definitely adds value to the piece, but I can’t say everyone looks at clothing with so much depth. I guess I find some items of clothing as pieces of art. Someone created that by hand and we should feel honored to sport someone’s hard work and creativity.

The button to me represents a bunch of different things. It is representation of safety and warmth because that is what fastens your clothing. It is also circular. I know it sounds cheesy, but it is like the cycle of life. It has no end and no beginning, kind of like a family’s spirit and contribution to society. In addition, I think it is just a symbol of how you can find beauty and individuality in the mundane. It is like how everyone says there are things we take for granted. I guess I see the button as one of those things we take for granted. In celebrating one of these things we often pass off as unimportant just seems like the perfect way to expose people to paying more attention to the special things they have in their lives, but don’t put much stock into.

Poppy’s Buttons is certainly a special project. Each piece is completely unique and only few rings have a second just like it. They are all made by Michelle, her sister Lisa and their mother Iris. Each ring they make infuses a piece of their personality and creative ability. Adding a second special detail to the company is the fact that all rings are adjustable fitting most fingers, but the girls will size them if you don’t fit their adjustable bands. The rings are currently selling for $12.00 a piece at their Etsy page, Poppys Buttons. They also have a website in the making that can be located at www.poppysbuttons.com. For more information feel free to contact the girls at poppysbuttons@gmail.com.
© Copyright 2011 Michelle Cain (sparkx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1793578-Poppys-Buttons---Fun-in-Functionality