*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795027-Magic-Wars
Rated: ASR · Draft · Fantasy · #1795027
accused of a baseless crime, thrown into a prison city, two choices, escape and revenge.

         The real opening description I wanted to use (but was limited by characters) is this; Accused of a baseless crime and thrown in to a prison city to rot a group of adventurers refuse to submit to the injustice. For them there are three important things; survival, escape, and revenge!

Magic Wars


Prologue

“Beware the unassuming man with great power and grand ideas, who comes seeking to offer his services, for he is the Beast.”

“The Beast will rise from the Abyss as a mortal. But of mortals he shall not be of. He will come to the land of the sun and king, corrupting those of weak hearts.”

“He will inch his way into the king’s confidence. Until the king is no longer needed. Then he will rule in the king’s name.”

“The Beast shall first destroy and imprison those who are a threat to his Master’s plan.”

“But his greed and pride will allow a chance for heroes to rise. The heirs of the one he supplanted shall be their greatest asset. As well as the Hierophants who will give them the answer to the Beast's end.”
Ancient Oceanan prophecy


         Oceanus, a world not unlike many others hung in the heavens. They declare His glory, and display His handywork. Filled with life, cultures, nations, families, and the same never ending battle, between good and evil.

         Domaria a large archipelago of isles, the home of the oldest civilizations, a place of myth and legends. Each isle has its own defining civilization, some have even more, and some are lost to time and wave.

         Domaria is home to what is often considered the best of Oceanus, known as the land of rising sun, and home to three of Oceanus’s major schools of magic. And the location of the Isle of the Sacred Mountain, where Theos gave the world the laws to his children. Many seek to travel to this captivating land; immigrants, pilgrims, merchants, and of course adventurers.

         But none know of the great evil that has taken root in Domaria’s heart. That has declared war on all power that could threaten it. It has all but conquered Domaria soon it shall reach out and take Oceanus if not stopped.

          One ship is on collision course with this evil. Some of its passengers will have a great effect on the world.

July 690EG (Epochi ek arthro Gios)

Chapter I
Arrival in Domaria


          Water lapped the side of the pilgrims’ ship sailing to its final destination the Isle of the Sacred Mountain. Also aboard the ship where merchants, immigrants, and adventurers all looking to make something in the ancient isles of Domaria at their first port of call, Phocaia.

         Many of the adventurers were restless in the last leg of the journey, and had taken to walking the ship’s large deck to stretch their legs and get some exercise in the calm of the inner seas of the isles.

         Adventurers, not known for their shyness, were conversing amongst themselves about where they are headed and what they are planning to when they get there. David is one of those adventurers, tired of being cooped up below deck like a barrel of pickles. Deciding to start some sort of conversation with someone.
         “So why are you headed to Domaria?” he asked a young half-elf woman clad in a clerics apparel.
         “I am hoping to study in the Great Temple in Phoebus.” she was used to the adventurer’s lifestyle and the exchange, “And you?”
         “Looking to offer my services as a knight to either Byzantine or Kingsburg.”
         “What about where you were trained?”
         “My homeland was destroyed by a great wave. When I returned there was nothing left but the city’s foundation.” David flinched a little thinking about his home.
         “Oh, I’m sorry. I did not know.” 
         “It’s alright. One can only dwell in sadness and mourning for so long before the sun extinguishes the darkness. I believe they are probably in a better place.” He paused smiling putting his hand on his chest “And I can truly never lose them when I keep them in my heart.”
         “Anyway,” he said deciding to leave the subject of his tragic past, “there seems to be a lot of chaos in the world lately. With everything that has been happening in other lands it’ll be nice to be some place untroubled. Where one can serve his lord without the constant threat of war with their neighbors.” He said, then he put his fist against his head gently tapping it. “And where are my manners David Patton, and your name my lady.”
         She gave a little giggle, “I am Sierra Skovgaard, Sir Patton.”
         “Skovgaard? You wouldn’t be related to the Skovgaard Priests?”
         “Actually that was my father’s position before he married mother.” She said with some pride. “They did not exactly approve of an elf marrying a human woman, but he kept doing what he loved. He taught me everything I know about being a cleric.“
         ”I knew they were a bit segrnationist about their own kind, but helpful to all in need.“
         ”Dad doesn’t like to talk about it, but it did seem to hurt him that his own people had a problem with mom.“ She said solemnly.
         ”I’m sorry, I did not mean to bring up bad memories.“ He said realizing what he just said moments ago without thinking.
         She smiled. ”It’s, ok. I have found in my travels talking about bad things actually helps people.“
         ”Excuse me.“ Interrupted a young man dressed like sorcerer. “I’m Erza Wexler and I overheard you are planning to go to Phoebus. Would you, by any chance, know anything about the Magic College?”
         “I do know a little.” Sierra responded.
         “Well I know little of these things so if you will excuse me.” David said politely excusing himself from their conversation. Walking off to another part of the deck.
         “What do you know?” Erza said excitedly.
         “Well, the Magic College is located in the eastern isles, its master is a man known as Roger Bacon, who is supposedly hundreds of years old, and he is fickle who enters the halls of his institution.”
         “Do you have any idea of where in eastern isles?”
         “Not exactly. The way to it is supposed to be guarded by the Sasorijin, and near an elven town. And that is about it.”
         “I see.” Erza was more then a little disappointed by that.
         “Oh! Wait! I just remembered, the wizard Lazare Dee of Cates Beiana in the heart of Isle Okefenokee was a student of his. So if anyone knows anything about that place and how to get to it would be him.”
         “That’s the best information I have gotten since I started searching for that place.” He said excitedly. “By the way how do you know that?”
         “My dad mentioned it a few times when he was teaching me and my brothers about magic.”
         “Well thank you for the information I will head that way when we dock in Phocaia.”
         “I am glad to have helped you.” Sierra said smiling.
         “Thank you again for the information. I wish you well in your studies at Phoebus.”
         “Thank you, and I wish the same for you.”

         Walking to another part of the deck David noticed an orcan practicing with a wooden pole. Her black and white skin glinted in sunlight as she danced elegantly wielding the pole as she would her lance. Her hair appeared like strands of silver threads in the wind, and her tail moved gracefully with her movements revealing it was just as dangerous as her weapon if it should hit you. He had seen those moves before, they were those of a lance knight. Just a few feet a way was a gekkun monk watching her.

         “You are very good.” David said clapping his hands.
         “Thank you, but it’s nothing.” she said brushing her silver hair back.
         “It’s not nothing. Skill that takes years cultivate. Be a little proud of your hard work.”
         She just smiled, his compliment was embarrassing her, but not in a bad way. She had worked hard to develop her skills. No one had ever really complimented her skill.
         “I do not mean to embarrass you or anything like that. I was just complimenting your skill.”
         “Its ok.” she said blushing “No one has ever complimented my skills before. I just was not use to it.”
         “You lance knights have always impressed me. I never could move like that, especially with a pole arm, and I have tried. It was a painful experience.”
         She just giggled in response with her golden eyes fluttering.
         “Now a sword on the other hand I am adept with.”
         “I guess we all have our own talents.”
         “By the way I am David Patton” he said “just an ordinary knight.”
         “Sigrun Tryggvi, nice to meet you.” she said smiling. “So what calls you to Domaria?”
         “The same as you I would guess, looking work.” He paused glancing towards the gekkun. “By the way who’s the monk who was watching you?” With his curiosity having gotten the better of him.
         “I am Ulrik Xylander.” he said getting up from where he had been sitting. As he walked his green and yellow tail just barely touched the wooden deck of the ship. Then he reached his hand out to David to shake his.
         “David Patton.” he said shaking Ulrik’s hand. “What’s your story?”
         “We have been traveling together for the last few years, working whatever jobs needed doing. Now that we are headed for Domaria I‘m hoping to train with the druids and monks of Dùn Amhlaidh.”
         “Dùn Amhlaidh?” David had never heard of such a place in Domaria.
         “It is the city of the druids in the middle of the Mystic Woods of Ilios.” he paused looking towards the north. “I have always wanted to study with them when I heard of them as a child.”
         “I wish you luck in that endeavor, and your’s as well Sigrun.”
         “And yours as well” Ulrik responded bowing somewhat.
         As they went their separate ways on the deck, the coast of Epithymia came into view. David wandered around the ship’s deck a while longer, but he did not talk to anyone else right away.

         The ship’s crew started adjusting its sails as it crossed into the Phocaian Bay. Slowing it down even further as they headed for the Phocaian docks. Sierra was sitting, watching the sea as the ship slowly pulled into the calm open harbor. When an amazonian sat down heavily next to her.
         “Why is it that so many men seem so weak, sister.”
         Sierra was used to the amazon’s way of greeting all other women as “sisters.” “Perhaps you are judging them to harshly.”
         “Humpf! We Amazons have high standards. I am going to have a husband worthy enough to take my clan name and not be an embarrassment.”
         She turned her head towards the amazon with a smile, “Well I’m sure you will find what you are looking for eventually.”
         “You think, sister?”
         “Sure. By the way I’m Sierra.”
         “Mia.”
         “Nice to meet you Mia.”
         Sierra and Mia Acqua continued to talking about small stuff to pass the time while the ship neared its final destination.

         “That’s strange.” Said Erza standing on the deck staring at the docks. David was close by and over heard his words.
         “What’s strange?” David asked curious at what Erza saw.
         “The city looks as if its been radically changed, the port seems smaller then what it should be, and there doesn’t seem much activity on the docks like there should be for a major port.” he added “Also the ships in port look deserted, there should at least be a skeleton crew on them.”
         “Hmm.” he hummed as he looked at what Erza saw, thinking at how he was right, but there was something else. Many of the ships at port looked as if they were being converted for war. That started to bother him something seemed wrong about this picture.
         “You’re right.” David said still thinking about the conversion of the ships. “Also it looks like the ships are being converted for war purposes.”
         Erza looking at the ships and realized David was right.  “You were with Sierra earlier right?”
         “Yes, David Patton.” he said looking at Erza, “and you are Erza right?”
         “Yes I am.” Erza glanced back at the ships thinking about how David had noticed the ship’s conversion “You’re a knight right?”
         “Yes.”
         Hmm, that explains how you saw that so quickly. He thought to himself.
         They continued conversing on the strangeness of the city’s new walls. They looked as if they should belong to some castle or fort. Tall and imposing, not the walls of a major port city. 

         As the ship pulled into Phocaia’s port something seemed wrong. The city’s docks also had a new look. It lacked the normal bustle in should have had. It seemed more like the port of a navy then a commercial port.

         As soon as the ship was moored, armed men from the city quickly marched aboard the ship securing it and its passengers. Then their commander with a small plain man dressed up absurdly in an attempt to appear important came aboard. The small man was first to speak.
         “As governor of this city I am here to inform you that, by order of King Areus all aboard this vessel are now under arrest for suspension of the practice of magic. As per the king’s orders you will all be striped of your possessions, and thrown into Kolasi where you will wait until you can be judged by the king’s court.”
         At that moment someone had the guts to speak up against this injustice. “How could be break a law we did not, could not know about. We just arrived here.”
         The ridiculously dressed governor did not say a word he just gave a disapproving scowl to the soldiers’ commander. He in turn gave a nod to one of the soldiers behind the group. That soldier promptly began to beating up the person who had spoken up.
         Many of the adventurers wanted to intervene but they were outnumbered by the soldiers and any weapons they might have been carrying had been confiscated.
         “Be careful now, he is no use as a sacrifice if he’s dead.” He said chuckling afterwards.
         “Now, if there are no further interruptions. . .” He paused smiling almost wanting someone stupid enough to speak up, “As I was saying, the king has decreed magic illegal, immoral, and punishable by death or permanent imprisonment in Kolasi.”
         “Should the king’s Regent Thanatos later see fit to he may free you from Kolasi.” pausing a moment he hoped to see a reaction from the group, but there was nothing, disappointed he continued, “But that will depend on how forgiving master Thanatos is.”
         “Now.” He said pulling out a scroll. “We need to separate those who will be sacrifices to our war machines, we need about ten percent of the passengers.” He said this more to the soldiers’ commander than anyone else. “First that one,” he said pointing to the person who was beaten-up, then he started walking “and this one as well,” he said walking up to the pilgrim passengers of the ship who had been brought up from below the deck. Selecting a total of five adventurers and eleven pilgrims in the end. They were bound in irons and forced off to another
ship in the far western part of the port.
         “As for the rest of this lot dump them in the city. With the rest of the riffraff.”

         The soldiers saluted and started forcing the passengers off the ship, but not before stripping them of anything else valuable they might be carrying on their persons. Barely leaving them with their simple clothing. Dumping them one by one on to the muddy streets of the city. Unarmed and unprepared, defenseless to the lowlifes who ran the city.

         Unwillingly dragged in to a war they knew nothing of. Innocent passengers of a ship were treated as if they were the soldiers of some great enemy. Tossed into a prison city run by the strongest inmates of that prison. It became obvious as a kraken has tentacles to the adventurers what they had to do; survive this city, escape its walls, and get revenge on the ones who threw them in there.


Chapter II
Time in Purgatory


Coming soon. . .

Small preview of ch2,

         Kolasi isn’t so much a city anymore then a large open-air prison camp with stone walls around it. Most of the streets have had their paving stones torn up to use in the city’s walls leaving them bare. With them now also serving as an open-air sewer. Many of the old Phocaian stone buildings were apparently torn down for use in the new city’s walls. Scrawled across the walls are curses directed at the guards, governor, the king, and Thanatos. Most seem to be directed towards Thanatos. Most of the remaining buildings are only so in the loosest meaning of
the word. Made up of what ever the residents could scavenge; metal, stone, wood, and cloth, several have holes in their roofs or no roof at all, and some places look as if they have been gutted by fire. Even with everything being damp as it is. In its entirety, Kolasi is a very ugly place.

Version 1.7
© Copyright 2011 Guardian of Worlds (davidsf369 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795027-Magic-Wars