*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795754-Mind-Games-1st-Place
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #1795754
Barney stumbled to the kitchen the next morning for a bite. What had he done?
The drip from the sink tapped its normal beat as Barney entered the kitchen. He trudged to the refrigerator where a half-gallon of milk, a dozen eggs, and something wrapped in tin foil lay upon the near-barren shelves. The door held some pickles, mustard, and ketchup. He retrieved the unknown item and plopped it on the counter. Probably some leftover I’ve forgotten. His fingers unwrapped the foil and he saw the small pool of blood settled to the bottom. The last flap unfurled, he gazed at the heart.

By instinct he took a step back -- His eyes fixed upon the organ. The putrid odor oozed upon him and he felt his stomach acid seep into his mouth. “What the hell?”, he stammered. His mind raced with thoughts from last night, but he just couldn’t recall through his hazy hangover. Flashes of anger welled inside him, but disconnected, like looking through a dark tunnel. Then trees, leaves and a dirt trail flowed through his head.

He walked to the TV and pressed the power button.

“… a grizzly scene as a woman’s body was found in the woods, her heart cut out. Police have few leads, but there’s no doubt of the viciousness of this attack.”

Barney’s mouth went dry -- His breathing shallow. He raised his dirty hands in front of his face while the TV shone a picture of the 22 year old with long brown, silky hair. Her image did nothing to belie his fears. He neither recognized her, nor didn’t. Like looking up a well of despair with no ladder to climb out.

The phone rang.

“H-h-hello?”

“Hi, Dear.”

“Mom?”

“Yes. Did you find the pig’s heart I dropped off? Your father didn’t want it.”

Barney’s soul leapt. “Pig’s heart?”

“Yes, your father got it. He brought it in last night.”


300 words


Flash Story limited to 300 words
Must contain the words: tunnel, trail, ladder
© Copyright 2011 BScholl (the0hawk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1795754-Mind-Games-1st-Place