*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1799306-Arthurs-tail-ch-4
by tara
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Fantasy · #1799306
Arthur and Alic are forced to fight for all that they hold dear in a world fuel of lies.
Ch. 4


.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


         By this time, Alice is sitting on a log next to a small fire with her trusted friend Morning star beside her and a cup of tea in her hands. Not two feet away her son is playing with some of the younger centers that came to their aid. They have set up camp for the night and now it will be nearly imposable for anyone to come on them by surprise. Alice takes another sip of tea and Morning star places a hand on her shoulder trying to comfort her he says.

         “Your husband is dead yet alive as it has been written. I know you may not understand right now Great Mother but this is all part of the moons work. Trust him to look after your foolish husband. Remember Great Mother things always get better in time. Always stand behind your love and you will never be led astray.”

         “Thank you Morning Star.” At this time, Billy comes walking over to her yawning as he climbs up on her lap. Holding her son close and kissing the top of his head she secretly prays to God to keep him safe, and not to let her baby go through any of the hardships his parents have gone through. Feeling emotionally and fiscally tiered Alice says,“I am turning in for the night. If there is trouble do not hesitate to wake me.”

         Morning star gives her a sympathetic smile answering,“Rest in piece, the moon insures me that tonight will be free of battles.”

         “Thank you Morning Star.”

         “It is the least we can do Great Mother.”

         With that Alice gets up, still holding her son, and goes to their tent.

         Soon after Alice and her son are asleep, Morning Star and one of his men are a good distance from camp, hunting in the dense forest for tomorrow’s breakfast, when a shadow crosses their path and a sack of food lands at their feet. Morning stare not missing a step says, “Thank you vamp, we will accept your gift. We are taking them to the werewolf’s. You may help us until we reach their forest. Let your leader know that if he wants his prodigy to recover he must let the women and boy go for now.”

         From up in a tree a man answers, “We except your offer center and will deliver the massage to him. We have covered your tracks and set some traps for the sorcerers. Let the women and child sleep well tonight. There is food enough for all of you, bye.”

         “Bye,” Morning star answers and picks up the sacks taking them back to camp and they all take there posts for the night.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


         Hours later Arthur wakes up as pain, and heat sweeps through his body. He doesn’t notice the tall man with short brown hair and dark brown eyes that is sitting on the floor beside him or the fact that he is in a tub of ice water. He can hardly open his eyes and scarcely feel something cool on his skin. he can’t move a muscle or scream as the fire rips through him. Hearing a man’s voice he is forced to concentrate on that rather then this fiery pain that rips through his body.

         “Hallo Arthur, My name is Carlo. You are changing into a vampire, that is why you feel like you do. I will stay with you through this. I am sorry it had to be this way, under these conditions there was no other choice. We almost lost you.” Carlo wiping Arthur’s face and head with a cool cloth continues. “I will teach you how to live like this and how to hunt animals instead of people, do not worry about that.”

         Then he explains how life will be from now on and the vampire’s laws. Jasmine coming into the room handing her husband a outfit says,

         “Here this should fit.” and in a voice full of concern ads, “How is he dear?”

         With a sigh of regret Carlo answers,“You know how it is sweetheart, and he is too stubborn to die, I am afraid this will take a while.”

         “Did you drink or not?”

         “No, I only bit him. He has lost too much blood already, all we can do now is wait.”

         Jasmine squeezes her husband’s shoulder saying, “I love you, and will see you later.”

         “I love you to.” Carlo answers, and she walks out. Carlo looks back at Arthur and sees that he has finely passed out again. A few hours later Carlo seeing Arthur’s face heal and that he is now cool, easily picks Arthur up and carries him into the room where he places Arthur on the bed and dresses him in the

P. J‘s, wondering, how Arthur well handle all of this. He has always kept a close eye on this chilled. Looking down at the dark haired young man, muscles bulging from years of hard training. His body scared with the beatings and battles that he has been in. Carlo thinks, From the day of his birth he has been in training for war. This man is know in his early twenties and one of the greatest heroes of our time.he is no longer a child and I need to stop thinking of him as such.

         I know all about his upbringing and how hard he fights for everyone’s rights but his own, often going without just so others can live free. In all others eyes this man is only a slave something to be used. I could never bring myself to think of any of those poor children as slaves. I don’t know how anyone could. It is not their fault of the life they were forced into. I must be careful and not say too much or he will never learn to trust me. He has been raised as a slave and trusts very few people if anyone. I will be the one to finely bring some piece into the boys life ,while now mans. It is about time someone set things right and helps Arthur. Yet here again Arthur is not the type to except help willingly from others. No, he feels he has to do things on his own and the hard way. Watching the man laying here, just as helpless as a child, I truly hope this will all turn out good and I really did save him the only way possible.


.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .


         By this time Eric, who is setting behind his desk waiting for Alice and Billy, receives news that they have escaped and fled into the wilds. He immediately sends more men out to fetch her back. No slave escapes me once I want them. He thinks. He has also received word that the battle is over. At this time they do not know who is dead and who isn’t. Jasmine’s clan has cleaned up the mess and burned the remains. The note had said she would send an official report at a later time, but they no longer have to worry about Alberto and his clan. As far as Arthur is concerned there is no mention. Sitting this note aside he thinks, I will need conformation that Arthur is dead and now I will have to deal with the witch and her demon offspring myself, maybe I will sell them in the market that will get them off my hands. Yes, when their caught I will teach that witch to run from me. I will separate the boy and her and then will see how that tames her. Maybe I’ll keep her for myself.

He thinks as he sends out orders for more help with the runaway slaves.



.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .




         Back at Carlo’s stronghold Arthur wakes up feeling miserable and thinking of all he los. Not caring that he is in a small white room laying on a bed and dressed in a pair of pajama pants with a t-shirt. All he can think is they'er all dead.

         Why did this man change me? Of all people, doesn’t he know that I alone have to fight not to enjoy fighting? If I let myself go I feel whole, every part of me becomes so in tuned to the fight that nothing else maters. I am the only real monster. I can not fight this change along with everything else. I would rather die then become a killer. I can not possibly live like this.



         As Arthur is thinking Carlo looks at the wound, it is not healed yet and Arthur still looks deathly pall. Not like a vampire should, he can also still hear Arthur’s heart and placing a cool hand to Arthur’s forehead, he can tell Arthur is once again running a fever.

         this is not at all right. Carlo thinks to himself and shacks his head no in confusion.

         Arthur can tell Carlo is unsatisfied with something but Carlo smiles and when he talks he sounds calm and in control.

         “There will never be pain like that again. You are now a vampire, you are called a changeling in our culture.”

         Arthur tries to sit up but is unable to do little more then lift his head off the pillow. In a voice Carlo can barley hear Arthur says.

         “Have you lost your mind? I will be uncontrollable.” Arthur manage to choke out as his head hits the pillow, even that little move seemed to take a lot out of him and he thinks, Aren’t vampires supposed to be stronger then this.

         Carlo not knowing what to do as he has never hared of anything like this happening, files a cup up with blood, “Here drink this, it will give you strength enough to sit the rest of the way up and finish healing your side.”

         Carlo says hoping it is true and places the cup in Arthur’s hand trying to help him drink. Arthur’s cat like eye’s zero in on the cup his nostrils flare as he inhales the sent and Carlo knows the craving has taken holed of him. What he dos not know is Arthur’s thoughts as he is over come with shock by this craving that sweeps through his body. It takes all his strength to fight against it and it sickens him to think his body could possibly want this.

         With as much strength as he can gather Arthur throws the cup at Carlo yelling, “KILL ME NOW!”

         Carlo’s jaw drops in surprise and shock. After a second he manages to laugh it off and wipes the blood from his face. While filling the cup back up, in a voice full of pride Carlo says, “Very good Arthur, I have never seen a changeling that could resist their first cup of blood. You will need that kind of control at times but not right now. You need to drink this or you will kill someone for their blood.”

         Carlo places the cup up to Arthur’s mouth and Arthur no longer able to resist the craving drinks it. Baling up his fist in anger Arthur informs Carlo, “You have not a clue on what you have done and I will never listen to you, you had best kill me now!”

         Carlo helps Arthur sit up and places another pillow under him for support, trying not to sound like he has said this a melon times, Carlo answers,“This is not the end but a new beginning for you. You just need to take this one day at a time, and the laws I told you are not my laws they are the laws of being a vampire.”

         Carlo turns to the nightstand beside the bed and starts to fill the cup up again. Arthur summoning all his strength hits it out of Carlo’s hand sending it flying across the room blood fly’s everywhere. In a voice full of anger Arthur shouts,“NO!” And launches himself straight at Carlo thinking. I will give him no choice but to kill me.

         At the last minute Carlo steps out of the way and Arthur hits the hard cement floor with a loud thud. Instantly Carlo is on Arthur’s back, pining his arms behind him, Arthur had no time at all to react. With what little strength Arthur has lift he try to struggle free. Carlo shakes his head, he had been hoping Arthur would not be this stubborn, as calmly as he can Carlo says, “Arthur, We are both men and I hope that someday you will respect me as much as I respect you. The first thing you must learn is that no matter what you do; DO NOT ATTACK YOUR MENTOR! Now if you stop this we can go hunting.”

         Arthur continues to struggle and angrily informs Carlo,“NO, I WILL NOT BE A KILLER!”

         “Your anger is clouding your thoughts, and I will not talk to you like this.” Carlo calmly informs him. Arthur, seeing that he don’t really have a chose, stops struggling and Carlo lets him go. Arthur standing up in anger he thinks about attacking Carlo again but he now knows that wIll do no good. Once again Carlo fills up the cup and hands it to Arthur saying,“Drink and we will talk.”

         Arthur looking like a defeated man turns away from Carlo going to the bed, sitting down and looking at the floor. Sounding as though all hope has lift him he says

         “just leave me alone.”

         Carlo walks over to Arthur sitting down beside him. Still fighting the craving Arthur turns away from him.

         “I can not do that, now drink!” Carlo orders as he grabs Arthur’s hands and pins him to the side wall forcing the cup once again to Arthur’s mouth. As soon as the blood touches his lips the craving takes over, Arthur can not fight it at all and hungrily drinks. Carlo, trying to help with the feelings he knows must be running through Arthur, calmly says, “I also at one time felt the way you do. Your feelings are no different than what everyone here has gone through and you know we are not killers here.”

         Arthur finishes the drink and still sounding like it is the end of the world says,“You are wrong Carlo. I am nothing like you all. I have never been human, or anything normal for that mater, even my own people never truly accepted me and now they never will. I fit in no where in this world. I never have and never will. I will never truly be accepted in your world, tell me this is not so.”

         Carlo, not rely knowing what to say, fills the cup up for the third time and again forces Arthur to drink it. Trying to sound understanding Carlo says, “I can not, as you know Arthur. Only time will tell what you can truly be and do. I was only trying to make you apart of us. It is too soon for you to die. There is still so much that you need to finish, along with a wife and son. No I could not let you die. You are the only hope that so many of us have. One day you will be great and do great things for all your people. You will see and once you are safe for others to be around you, you will be with your  family. Things will not always be like this. Let me show you something’s here Arthur, it really isn’t that bad and you already have friend’s amongst us.”           

         “You are wrong, Carlo, you will regret the day that you did this to me and you will see that.”

         “Time will tell.” Carlo replies as he hands Arthur another cup of blood. They can tell the finale transformation is complete, Arthur’s body feels and looks different. His skin has changed to a powdery white and he no longer looks like he is on his death bed. Arthur looks disgustedly at the cup of blood in his hands.

         Carlo raising his brow asks, “Do we really need to do it the heard way again?”

         Arthur takes a sip, it tastes good and once more he is over whelmed by the craving. This only horrifies Arthur even more. Finishing the drink, Arthur start to think of ways to kill a vampire and asks. “What about that hunt?”

         Carlo, thinking that getting Arthur out of this room could only improve his mood, heads for the door signaling Arthur to follow he answers, “Come.”

         Side by side they leave the small room, walk down a short hallway into a large room. This room looks like it belongs in a warehouse. There are tables set around with chairs at them. In another corner of the room is set up like a huge living room with a big screen TV a couch, over stuffed chairs, end tables and oil lamps on the tables. There is another hallway to the right of that. There is a pool table and other games in the far left corner of the room. There is the biggest dinning room table Arthur has ever seen in the center of the room. Every where he looks Arthur sees vampires in guard uniforms enjoying themselves. Some are talking, playing cards, watching TV, a couple are at the pool table and all are talking about the nights events. Arthur thinks,At least one good thing came from this, Alberto is dead.

         He sees a vampire that he knows seated across the room, playing cards with a brunette. Daron looks to be in his late teens or early 20‘s, with light blond hair and baby blue eyes. He is on the scrawny side, but they all knew he can hold his own in battle. He may look scrawny and pleasant but that is not the case, Arthur’s and Daron’s eye’s meet and Daron smiling sympathetically says, 

         “Hi Arthur, Cleric is alive and doing well at home.”

         “Hi, Daron and thanks for letting me know.” Arthur answer, truly glad that at least one of his men made it. “And the others?”

         Shaking his head no Daron answers, “I am sorry, however you should know they will receive the proper burial, and the whites will not know.”

         “Thanks,” Arthur half halfheartedly answers thinking,it is not anyone’s fault but my own, I was their leader.

         Daron reading his thoughts not rely knowing what to say.this is Carlo‘s area of expertise he thinks and then hoping Carlo will ketch the hint answers, “I am sorry for your loss, all wounds heal in time.”

         “Thanks Daron.” Carlo intervenes, not quite sure where that was all leading to. Carlo then introduces Arthur to everyone there.

          Daron looking at Carlo informs him,“Carlo, Arthur is thinking of killing himself with magic once outside.”

         A little shocked, as Carlo would of never thought Arthur would ever even consider that an option, as calmly as he can Carlo answer, “Thanks again, Daron.”

         Arthur thinks,I had forgotten about Daron’s ability. Obviously it is not being affected by what ever is affecting mine.

         He starts to translate one language into another so Daron won’t fined out any more of his plans. Daron shakes his head no and smiling like he would at a mischievous chilled says,“Your welcome sir and Arthur that isn’t a goblin word that was already goblin you translated it into Elvin not goblin.”

         Arthur rolls his eyes thinking,shall we find out who is stronger?

         Daron smiling answers, “Not any time soon, you are a changeling and therefore we can‘t fight fair sorry, maybe some other time.”

         Carlo shaking his head, now realizing that he now is going to have two mischief makers, smiles saying, “Let me show you around first Arthur than maybe we will hunt later.”

         Arthur reluctantly follows him, it beats staying in the room and gives him an opportunity to see what all is there.

         Walking through the warehouse Carlo introduces Arthur to everyone they encounter and Arthur makes a mental picture of it all. This is one of the first things he always dos out of habit. No mater where he goes the first thing he dos is plan a way of escape and even though he wants to die, he cannot help but do this now.

         The warehouse is set up like a huge house without windows; the ones that were here have all been boarded up and there are lights in here, not from candles or magic but real lights that take electricity. Almost like the ones Lanis has.

         I can’t believe they have electricity. How did they get that? Arthur thinks as he sees the many things that take electricity. They enter a huge kitchen that has a walk in fridge where the blood is kept, and a door that is beside it Carlo informs Arthur is off limits until he says other wise. From the kitchen they walk into the biggest living room Arthur has ever seen.

         It could easily hold an entire army,Arthur thinks and Carlo cant help but smile as he watches Arthur’s reaction to all of this it is like a kid discovering something for the first time. Standing in the door way they see many vampires in the room watching a huge TV. There is another door on the far side of the room that Carlo says the same rules applies to. Arthur is almost sure they lead outside as Carlo did not say these things about some of the other doors they passed. Next they head a caroused the room going into another room to the lift of the living room. They inter into a game room with lots to do including bowling and pool along with many other games. After introducing Arthur to the men and women in here Carlo takes Arthur upstairs. At the top of the stairs they come to a long white hallway with many doors lining both sides and Arthur gives an involuntary shiver, thankfully Carlo doesn’t seem to notice. Coming to a stop in front of a door Carlo opens it.

         “This is your room Arthur.”

         Carlo smiles as he watches Arthur’s mouth open in owe and surprise. This room is like a suet you would see in a mansion, it actually has three rooms inside it along with a bathroom and hug walk in closet.

         He will have plenty of time to investigate it all later, for now I do not want him alone. Carlo thinks as they stand in the door way looking in to the room.

         Arthur can see that like everything else here it is huge and thinks,our whole house could easily fit in here and it is way to fancy for my taste, it looks like something you would fined in a castle boy would I . . .shaking his head to clear that thought completely from it he thinks, I would rather die then have Alice here, No I mustn’t allow myself to think about her or my son.



         Carlo seeing Arthur shake his head smiles shutting the door and motions for Arthur to follow saying, “Come this tore is not over yet.” They both go back downstairs and through a doorway into a huge dining room that has another table the size of the other one.

         Jasmine walking in, hands Arthur one of the silver cups filed with blood. “Here Arthur, and just so you know these cups are for changelings, and you don’t have to worry about doing the dishes.” she adds with a smile.

         Arthur taking the cup and wrinkling his nose says, “thanks ma’am.”          

         “You will get used to all of this in time.” Jasmine says as she pats Arthur’s shoulder and then walks out of the room. Arthur sets the cup on the big table, looking at the others in the room sizing them up. The two just behind Carlo are big bulky men and are obviously his guards.

         Most of the others in here seem more like runners then fighters. Arthur thinks and Daron walks into the room. Arthur swatches thinking back to translating again. 

         Shaking his head Daron with mock sympathy says, “Sorry Arthur, you’re too late, I already know, but good try,”

         And of course, he informs Carlo, who also shakes his head saying.   

         “Arthur you can kill them easier than they can you.”

         Arthur attacks Daron; after all he was getting on his nerves and he know he was a challenge. Arthur runs straight at him, whipping his arm out at the last second and Daron takes the hit falling to the floor. Arthur swings around on his heals, Daron rolls out of the way coming up fast and Arthur’s foot hit’s the concrete floor, where he was just a moment ago. Two of the others move to flank Arthur, who moves fast with no warning Arthur snaps a kick right to the first man’s chest snapping his rib cage. They all hear the sound of cracking ribs as the man is sent flying across the room hitting the wall with a loud thud. The guy chocks looking as shocked as Arthur and falls to the floor. Arthur’s right fist hits the other man’s nose, he had been going for his chin. Arthur feels it brake and there’s a pause of about a second before it starts gushing blood. 

         Boy these guys are weak, or I have gained way too much strength. Good thing their vamps and will heal quickly.

         Arthur thinks as four more rush him, he does not hesitate as he swings them into each other, hoping this will end with him dead. More join in the fight and Arthur starts to toss them into each other forcing them to move back and spread out. He is now sure his strength has at least doubled if not more. Over the sounds of clashing fist everyone but Arthur hears Carlo shout,

         “Enough!”

         Arthur determined to force them into killing him grabs the man he was fighting and tosses him into the far wall. Carlo jesters to his men and more vampires join in the fight trying to get Arthur under control. Arthur picks them up and is also able to toss them like they are nothing but toys. Having had enough of the game Phoenix manages to get behind Arthur and clobbers him on the back of his head with his night stick and Arthur falls to the floor. Carlo wishes it had not come to this but knows there was no reel choice. They take Arthur back to the small room.

         Carlo laying Arthur on the bed, thinks,

         this is going exactly as I feared it would. I have helped many people adjust to this life. All of them had been stubborn, that is how I got my clan members. None of them had taken to this life, until I showed them a way to live without being murderers. Yet this is not Arthur’s real problem, no, I know him to well for that. He is a survivor, something else is bugging him, and in time he will talk to me about it.

         Jasmine comes into the room placing her hand on Carlo’s shoulder.“I am sure if you just let him talk to her he would adjust better.”

         “We can not be sure Alice will except him like this and that could make it harder on him. At least this way he has a little hope of seeing her again.”

         “I am sure she will, for true love conquers all obstacles. Are we not proof of that?”

         “I know how you feel sweetheart but trust me. We have helped many changelings and I will not treat him any different. I will not do as others have done. I will treat him just like everyone else.”

         “You can try my love” Jasmine says as she leaves the room.

         When Arthur wakes up he is back in the small room with a headache, they put some cups of blood in the small fridge and Carlo shows Arthur the door to the small bathroom.

         “Until you can play nicely, you will remain in this room,” Carlo says as he leaves the room locking the door behind him. Once alone in a fit of rage Arthur start to toss everything around the room, smashing up the bed, table and chair, and throws the small frig at the 2 way window. As it shatters Carlos opens the door and with the help of many others restrains Arthur on the floor. Once the glass and shreds of metal are cleaned away Carlo replaces the two way window. He does not replace anything else in the room. The only thing left is a pallet on the floor with the chains that Arthur is hooked to that are bolted into the concrete floor. Arthur glares angrily up at Carlo, who is looking down at him.

         “I do not like to do this to you Arthur but you can not destroy our things. You will stay chained until you can control your temper better. I will send someone in to give you your blood when it is time.” Carlo says in a no non scenes voice.

         Arthur struggling against his bonds with his fist clenched, informs him, “The only thing I want from you is death.”

         Carlo walking away answers “That is the one thing I can not give you.”

         With that he shuts and locks the door behind him. In a fit of rage Arthur tries to brake the chains, but they hold strong with no sign of weakness. Soon he give up the struggle and lays still thinking,

         There is no way I can kill myself chained down like this, vampires are hard to kill. They have very few weaknesses.



         he start to think of ways to accomplish his goals. A few hours later Jasmine comes in with a pitcher of blood and a cup. Seeing her Arthur can’t help but relax and give her a small smile to try and ease some of the pain he sees in her eyes, thinking

         Why do women always have to mother everyone? It can drive a man crazy. In some ways she reminds me of my wife. They both have light green eyes and a gentile nature about them. Jasmine is not quit as tall as Alice, but both are tall for women. Both are well built and could almost pass for sisters. Alice has long wavy red hair, Jasmine’s hair is also long and wavy, but more like a strawberry blond. I never really noticed before how similar they  are to each other.

         Jasmine sitting down on the mattress looking down at Arthur with those sad eyes, in an almost motherly way she moves a piece of his hair away from his cat like eye’s saying. “We do not like doing this to you Arthur. Will you accept your super from me?”

         Arthur in a voice full of sorrow answers, “Jasmine you should not be in here. There is no reason for it, I have never been totally safe for people to be around me, and now it will be impossible. But to answer your question, yes, I will drink that stuff.”

         Jasmine helps hem drink answering, “In time things well get better you have never been the monster you were mint to be and you never will be.” She pauses there for a second hoping she did not say too much, but seeing that Arthur’s cat like eyes are not really focusing on anything she continues. “We will help you over come this if you only would allow us to help you. We well always let you make your own chooses but as you can see those chooses may get you into trouble. Never less you are the one making them. All we have ever tried to do is help you, you should know this.”

         Arthur still depressed answer, “That is not all true and you know it, other wise I would be gone.”

         Jasmine quickly brings the cup to his mouth cutting off anything else he may say and in a reprimanding town says, “You are being shellfish and what of your wife? What would she do without you and what about your little boy? Who will teach him all he will need to know? No, we well not allow you to make that choice but any other is yours to make.”

         Turning his head away so that Jasmine cant see how much this hurts he truthfully answers, “They too, would be better off without me, if not for me my wife’s life would be easier, she is accepted with her people.”

         Jasmine sternly replies, “Alice and your son would not know what to do without you. Now let’s get off this subject. How is your head feeling?” 

         “It is fine.”

         “Do you need to use the bathroom?” 

         “No. Just leave me alone.” Arthur answers and Jasmine again cuts off his words with the cup saying.

         “There will be none of that, moms are supposed to care for their children even if they are being punished, and trust me I am plenty old enough to be your mom. I think of all of you here as my kids. You do not have to call me mom, but know I will always think of you as one of my boys. Carlo will always think of you as a son. Did you know he broke his own vow to save you? He swore he would never change anyone yet here you are. Think of that, Arthur you really do mean a lot to many people.”

         After the pitcher of blood is gone Jasmine wipes the blood from around Arthur’s moth and kisses his forehead, determined that she well pull Arthur out of this if it’s the last thing she does. In a very motherly way Jasmine tucks him in saying,“I am sorry it turned out this way. I will be in tomorrow morning with your breakfast when you are ready to learn let us know.”

         “I will do that.”

         “Goodnight” and she closes the door.

         “Goodnight.” After many hours Arthur finely falls asleep.

         Instantly he is back at the orphanage. Looking down at a small boy whose black hair is almost nonexistent. he is already showing signs of strength even in the poor condition he is in, he looks half starved and is chained down to a bed in a small white room. Arthur is once more filed with that uncontrollable rage. Suddenly he feels intense pain sweep through his head, coming out of the nightmare. He is covered in could sweat, and his hands are balled up with his teeth clenched tight against the pain that had shoot through his head. Trying to sit up, he is unable to do so for the chains. He is just glade the pain is gone, and he is not surrounded by fire, as would be normal with that nightmare. He works on forcing all the muscles in his body to relax.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .




         By this time Dominique has gotten word that the battle is over. Arthur was critically wounded and taken to Carlo. It was reported that Alice and Billy had fled into the wilds being pursued by a bunch of sorcerers. Dominique gives the orders to make sure no one but a vampire gets to them and if they can convince her to come willingly with the boy that would be best for he has many plans for them if they can be convinced to cooperate. If not he wants them unharmed and brought to him anyways. Many worriers go to do his biding. A few hours after this he receives the news that they are with the Centaurs and the massage they sent to him. 

         That is fine the women and child are not nearly as important to him as his prodigy is.

         He thinks as he sent a letter out confirming that they should do as asked and help the two to safety. Then he sits back waiting to see how this game will end.

.  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .  .
 



         Alice wakes up in the morning to the smell of bacon and eggs. She lays there for a few minutes in shock.

         Billy waking up sniffing the air excitedly, “Mommy is that for us? Can we see daddy today?”

         Smiling and ruffling his midnight black hear, “Come we will see what is for breakfast. I do not know if we will see daddy today son.” 

         Coming out of the tent into the cool early morning air Billy slips on his dark glasses like he has seen his daddy do a hundred times. Billy takes his mothers hand he knows she misses he’s dad as much as he does. Alice looking down at her son gives his hand a little squeeze letting him know every thing is going to be ok. As they approach the fir they are greeted with smiles and warm good mornings. Alice and her son sit down on a log and are handed a plat of food. Alice greats them all with a smile and a good morning, Belly is to excited about the bacon, Morning stare seeing the questing look Alice gives him smiles at them saying

         “good morning Great Mother you have many friends and this is from the strangest lot of them. That is if you can call them friends. This food was dropped off by a group of vampires who took up night watch as well, so we could all get some rest and be papered for our journey today. This morning you two will ride it is very important that you reach the apple no later than tomorrow night. We are hoping to get you there sooner but that is our dead line. Adolfo’s clan was notified by letter to be watching for you and should have fresh mounts waiting. We will hand you over to them at the edge of the forest if all goes as planed.”

         Alice trying not to worry asks,“Is there a particular reason for that dead line that I should know about?”

         Smiling Morning star answers “none of us want to deal with your husband’s anger if he finds out we had you sleep in anything less then a castle.”

         Chuckling at the thought Alice says,“I will not tell him do not worry about that and I have never slept in a Castile,” she remind him with a smile.

          Also smiling Morning stare answers,“If it was up to your husband you would not only sleep in one you would never be allowed out of it without an army to guard you, especially if he finds out about this. I am afraid he just might have our heads if he found out you were both made to sleep on the ground with nothing but blankets.”

         Knowing this is leading to the reel answer she seeks Alice answers, “I will handle him do not worry.”

         Morning star with a smile answers, “you are the only one who can.”

         With a laugh Alice admits, “on that you may have a point. Did my foolish husband once again get himself into too much trouble?” 

         “You could say that. Eat up and you will soon find out everything, Lanis will be at the ranch and he will fill you in.”

         That answering only one of her questions she reluctantly drops the subject and after they are done eating Belly and Alice get the very rare privilege and honor of riding a Centaur.





© Copyright 2011 tara (tara-a at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1799306-Arthurs-tail-ch-4