*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801126-Silence-is-a-Great-Healer
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Contest Entry · #1801126
When all you want to do is rest your mind and body, no one will ever let you!
I had enough of New York. I had enough of looking for my runaway sister, Zheva. I had enough of trying to identify girls in the morgue and talking with Detective Inspector Dinges.

I waited on the platform for the train to arrive and boarded in a hurry, taking my seat in the middle of the car, by the window. Staring out the window, into oblivion, I heard a gentleman's voice.

"Might I sit with you?" he said with a smile. "You look as if you need company."

I did not want to let him sit with me, but I could not tell him no. Manners would not permit me. So, I let him sit, and followed through with normal pleasantries of names and where we were from, where we were going.

After that, I kept to myself, only wanting to fall asleep. I stared out the window, thinking of my sister with a mix of sadness and anger. I thought of my father and mother. I thought to myself that I wished the gentleman next to me would just be quiet. How weary was I!

When the train finally arrived in Gold City, I said a hasty goodby and wrapped my cape snugly around my shoulders. The wind was heavy and the dust was blowing, glittering through the air. It was the reason Gold City was given its name. It was only pyrite in the soil, but that glittering hue made the streets appear to be made of gold.

A carriage puttered to a stop and my father's valet, Manny, smiled and began chattering as he helped me in. I haven't a clue what he was talking about. The engine of the carriage and the roar of the wind had drowned much of it out. He dropped me at the long pathway to the house, and puttered off in the carriage.

I made my way down that path toward my girlhood home. In the distance, I could see our cook, Lindsey as she dug in the garden. I could tell by the way she stood and stared, that she didn't know it was me. She looked like a prairie dog in an apron. As I approached, and she recognized me, I saw her scramble to shut off the clockwork irrigator, so I would not be soaked to the bone.

She took my bags, and I let her. I was so exhaustedm I didn't bother to listen to her clucking at me.

Finally, my own maid, Sarah took over and ushered me upstairs, near silently. She had been my personal servant for most of my life, and knew me better than almost anyone. I was quite elated to find she'd drawn me a warm bath.

She left me to myself as I undressed and climbed into the clawfoot tub. There was not a sound to be heard.... at last! My mind drifted off to happier times, before I was sent to rescue Zheva, and I sighed.

Silence is a great healer.
© Copyright 2011 Missus Miranda (stoneheart at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1801126-Silence-is-a-Great-Healer