*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807421-A-Forgotten-Birthday--A-Chick-Flick
Rated: E · Fiction · Other · #1807421
A blog entry for Kiya's WdC's 11th Birthday Bash Blog Contest
Forgotten Birthday--A Chick Flick


"No, Joy! For the last time, I'm not going out on that stage with her!" Pat's voice cracked, and a tear rolled down her cheek and over her quivering lips. 

"What are you talking about, Hon? Lornda's one of the sweetest gals I know."

"Sure, take her side!" Pat folded her arms across her tiny chest and glared at Lornda before turning away from them.

It was times like these that put a strain on their relationship and their booming careers as the number one song and dance team in Vegas. 

"How could she forget? After all the years of waiting tables and working crowded night clubs for chicken feed." She plopped onto her chair and grabbed another tissue. Her mind went back to the day they all celebrated their success by ordering matching chairs and dressing tables with The Three Chickadees carved into the drawer. 

Lornda, hands on her hips and determination written all over her pudgy little face, planted her flat feet firmly in front of the counter and looked up over her Sarah Palin-style glasses at the store owner. "Now, listen, honey, we are the famous Chickadees. Our signature color is indigo. Not blue, not purple, not violet, but i-n-d-i-g-o. Be sure those chair cushions are indigo. Should I spell 'Chickadees' for you, or are you familiar with our work?" 


A thin smile crept across Pat's face as she felt the excitement of that day. "Okay, Joy, I'm willing to listen to Lornda's excuse for forgetting my birthday. Today is the second day of September, and I haven't heard one word from her about my birthday."

The dressing room erupted with laughter as Joy and Lornda looked, first at each other, then at their sad little friend. Lornda reached Pat just before Joy, and they 'huggled' her with all their might. 

"What? Why are you laughing at a time like this?"

This time it was Lornda's soothing voice that explained things. "Sweetie, TODAY is September 1st."

"But Tuesday was August 30th. I'm sure of it because I had the interview with Oprah."

"Yes, dear, you're right. And yesterday was August 31st. That makes today your birthday."  Joy's even tone calmed Pat down. 

"But you called me last night and wished me a happy birthday."

"I called you at 12:01 Eastern Time. I have my cell phone set for our flight out of Atlanta, on our way to perform for Prince William and Lady Kate."

"Ah, honey." Lornda squeezed Pat's shoulders. "You know I'd never forget your birthday. See, look at my cell phone—"Pat's birthday. Reservation at Kiya's Koffee House after the show."

"Oh." Pat sniffled and dabbed her swollen eyes with a soft tissue. "Gee, girls, I guess I'm the one who forgot my birthday. I'm awfully sorry about all this and quite embarrassed, I might add." A satisfied smile stretched across her crimson face, and a cackle of laughter filled the room with the warmth of true friendship.

"Okay then." Joy recognized the noise from the Va-Va-Va-Voom Vegas Show Room and knew it was a full house. "It's showtime!"




Dancing Chick                              Dancing Chick


Dancing Chick




The prompt was "A Forgotten Birthday." We had one day to write an entry. This was my first attempt to participate in a contest that required such a quickly written entry. I was panicking, and I just sat looking at the three little dancing chicks that decorated my blog. They just crack me up every time I see them. The friendship that Joy, Lornda, and I share is very special. Our personalities, though maybe a bit exaggerated, really come through in this silly, little tale. I hope you enjoyed it half as much as I enjoyed writing it. There's a sequel, if you're interested in following the antics of these three dancing Chickadees. Just click on the link below. It is sure to make you laugh. Oh, by the way, Team Chickadees won the GRAND prize in Kiya's WDC Birthday Blog Contest. *Bigsmile*

One Too Many--a Tale of An Aging Chick  [E]
Blog Contest Entry Day 6, One Too Many (prompt)
by Pat ~ Rejoice always!
  The Prompt for this day was "One Too Many."
 
Whew!  Word Count 515
© Copyright 2011 Pat ~ Rejoice always! (mimi1214 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807421-A-Forgotten-Birthday--A-Chick-Flick