*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807429-The-Candles-Flame-Part-1-Chapter-2
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Action/Adventure · #1807429
An old friend returns
Chapter 2:

Ellowyn hung herself from a tall tree, her head dangling while her feet held her up. Her hands gripped the branch, giving her added support. She sat like this for a while, watching all around her for that familiar horse and its rider. Her own horse, the only indication she was around, sat grazing by another tree. Beside her own tree, the river rushed fiercely, echoing the thunder of distant storm clouds seen just above the trees.

Finally, a shadowy shape came into view. The large, muscular form of a brown horse slowly entered the clearing. Atop it rode a young man, about Ellowyn’s age. He was tall, dignified. He rode his horse with a strong countenance, his posture showing a long year of proud training. From her perch, Ellowyn could see his emerald eyes scanning the clearing, pausing on her horse and gaining a new, glittering glow. A smile etched across his lips, and his head moved upward to catch her eye.

“I see you got my letter, Elli.” He announced with a wave, jumping off his horse and landing softly in the riverside sand.

“Oh, but of course.” Ellowyn replied, swinging her legs down so only her hands held her up. She let those slip as well, landing skillfully on her feet on the soft ground below.

“Still a monkey I see.” Faolan teased, grabbing her around the waist from behind. She giggled and struggled out of his grip, pushing him, as well as herself, to the dust. Faolan chuckled, sitting up and brushing the dirt off his body.

“Still weaker then me I see.” She teased.

“Oh really? I’d like to see you go at me with a sword in my hands. Then we’ll talk.”

“I would call that cheating.”

“I would call it using resources.”

“It isn’t using resources if you have had training, and I haven’t. That, my dear friend, is called cheating.”

“Only by the loser.”

“Who says you would win?”

“A sword in your backside, that’s what.”

They shared a hearty laugh, and for the first time in the past couple days, Ellowyn felt good, and happy. They both rose from the dust, brushing themselves off. For the first time in over a year, Ellowyn’s eyes met his. Just looking into their bright depths sent shivers down her spine. She tried to imagine him, her good old friend, fighting another man, those emerald eyes full of fire.

“So, Elli, how much have you missed me?”

“Oh, a little here, a little there. You know.”

Ellowyn grinned at him as he laughed. She turned her attention to the brisk moving river, watching as it dragged a stick along with it. Her thoughts flickered back to her father, and to the party the night before.

“Elli, I have something for you.”

She turned to look at Faolan again, surprised. He pulled a small parcel out of his pocket; a tiny box wrapped in parchment. He put it in her hands gently, smiling.

“Happy birthday, Elli. I wish I could have gotten here a day earlier and given it to you on the actual day.”

Elli unwrapped the parcel, finding inside a silver chain. On the chain, an elegant locket glittered in the dimming sunlight, jewels dancing light fairies across the earth. Ellowyn’s breath caught in her throat as she admired it. She didn’t know what to say, let alone how to say it. Her body melt into his affectionately, and they stood in each others embrace for only a moment. Ellowyn pulled away, her eyes dancing with happiness.

“Thank so much Faolan.”

Glad his present had made her happy, Faolan clipped the locket around her neck. She did a quick turn for him, her skirt twisting with her in an elegant wave. She stood smiling for a moment, but was quickly distracted by her thoughts, fidgeting with the locket around her neck dreamily. Faolan’s happiness soon faded to nervous confusion.

“Elli, what’s wrong?”

“Oh Faolan, don’t worry. It isn’t about the locket. I love it. After all, its better then any present my parents gave me.”

With these words, Ellowyn fell silent again. Faolan grew worried, searching her eyes and her words for meaning. Ellowyn continued to finger the locket, entranced by not it, but what the true problem lay. She could feel Faolan’s prying eyes searching her, pleading with her to explain. Finally, a look of realization etched upon his face, and his countenance grew more somber.

“Its your father and Lee again, isn’t it?” He said, already knowing the answer. Ellowyn leaned back against a tree, not meeting his eyes.

“You know we had the party last night. I danced with Father then. For the first time, I saw pride in his eyes, a hope that I was actually worth something.” Ellowyn closed her eyes dreamily, allowing the idea seep in. “It was only for that short moment though. Once we stopped dancing, he was back to his old self, congratulating Lee but not myself.” With this last bit, she allowed herself to slide to the soft earthen floor, not caring if her skirt got dirty. Faolan watched her silently, his concern obvious within his stature.

“Oh, Elli. You know, he is proud of you.”

“Not as much as that accursed Lee! Its always; Lee this, Lee that. Look Lauren, Lee learned how to add simple numbers. He’s only 16! Isn’t that remarkable? Oh and look, his side of the room is a mess again. Lets give him a new wardrobe, since his is nowhere to be found about the masses of moldy cockroaches.”

Ellowyn hugged her knees to her chest and sighed. Faolan looked at her sympathetically. Her temper began to rise. She didn’t want anyone’s sympathy. She wanted Lee to suffer, like she always had. She wanted her father to love her, to see her worth she knew she had. Faolan’s sympathy wouldn’t do anything to help her; not now, not ever.

“Maybe if I was a soldier he would love me.”

“Elli, I don’t think that is an option.”

“You did it. Why can’t I?” She glared at him. Just the idea coming out of her mouth made her want it, made her believe it could work. “I’m not weak, and you know it.”

“Its not that I don’t believe in you, Elli. I don’t doubt your abilities, but its dangerous out there. You don’t realize how difficult it is to keep yourself alive when you are in that uniform. Everyone is after you, and everyone wants to kill you. Just a trip to town can cause a major injury. I’ve known men who went to the market and never came back. Ambush. it’s a constant danger. If they know you have a uniform, they want you dead.”

“I have to make him proud, Faolan. You know that.” She stood up, closing her eyes.

“Getting yourself killed won’t help your relationship with your father.” Faolan replied. He handed her the harness for his horse, and she took it reluctantly, watching as he cupped his hands and took a drink from the river. Ellowyn tapped her foot impatiently.

“Are you going to help me or not?”

Not responding, Faolan watched her from the corner of his eye. She didn’t notice, instead rummaging in her sack for an unseen object. Her search seemed leisurely and distracted, as if for no object in particular. Faolan noted this as he retrieved his horse.

Now, as though her search had become unimportant, Ellowyn led her own horse toward the river. She stepped close enough to allow the water to lap gently at her feet. She looked across the rushing water dreamily, her eyes sparkling thoughtfully to match the pale, cloud-hidden sunlight stolen by the waves.

“I’m going whether you come or not.” She spoke finally, her voice whispering on the growing wind so he could barely make out her words.

“Elli, it isn’t a good idea. I won’t let you.”

Faolan watched in uncomfortable silence as Ellowyn’s face grew red. Her knuckles clutched tightly. Even her eyes, once focused on the distance, shifted to him; a side glance he could barely see.

“You don’t understand. Your parents have both always loved you. You don’t have a twin brother stealing the spotlight. You will never understand. I have to do this.”

“It isn’t safe.”

“I don’t care. It’s the only way.”

“No, it isn’t. I’m not going to let you go.”

“And I’m not going to let you stop me.”

“Elli, this is stupid. Please listen to me. For one, they will never let you join. Secondly, it’s just plain brainless. You haven’t thought it through.”

“Thanks, Faolan. I really appreciate being called stupid.”

“I’m not trying to call you stupid! I’m calling the idea stupid, which it is.”

“Whatever, Faolan. Leave me and my ‘stupid’ ideas alone. You will never know how I feel. Imagine loving someone, and they don’t love you back.”

“You are oblivious, Elli. You don’t understand how much I know. It’s you who doesn’t understand, who doesn’t see what has been right in front of your nose this whole time. There are people who love you, Elli, even if your father doesn’t.”

Ellowyn stood staring at him. Never before had he, or any other, spoken to her in such a way. It sent multiple emotions running through her veins, freezing her to the pot. She stared into his eyes, set fire by his words.

“Look Elli, I’m not letting you go. I don’t care if I have to stand vigil by your bedside; you are staying in Renon.”

Ellowyn didn’t speak, still frozen to the spot, but now by a pot forming in her mind. She would get past him, and she already knew how she was going to do it.
© Copyright 2011 EllowynAngelle133 (bandgeeky at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807429-The-Candles-Flame-Part-1-Chapter-2