*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807940-Getting-nowhere
by Kylie
Rated: E · Fiction · Drama · #1807940
The police are after Mimi and her mother is missing. If only she could...
PROLOGUE

I snatched mother’s arm up and hauled her away from this lunatic man I used to call father. He was crazy, mental, obviously way over the limit of beer. I couldn’t get my head around it, one year ago he never even would have glanced at any type of alcoholic drink, and now, he was not satisfied unless he had a bottle of beer or whisky in his hand. I searched earnestly for the door, half expecting it to have completely vanished, as nothing was right anymore. It was standing rugged with the paint peeling as usual, and I desperately attempted to make a lunge at it, but I was no match for this unfamiliar man. He was even more raged now, and I ducked as a chair swept over my head and shattered into pieces against the freshly dented wall. I made another dash towards the door, but all of a sudden, it was blocked by our ancient ripped sofa that had been in our family for three generations. If he was capable of throwing that, he could throw anything. I hastily changed my plan and rushed towards the kitchen entry, but once again, his athletic skills got him in the doorway first. Whilst he was in the kitchen he must have decided it was time for another ration of beer. Here was my chance. My mother and I clambered over our old settee and I eagerly soaked up the refreshing open air. My lungs had no time to suck in enough to satisfaction though as my father quickly caught on, and was in the vast air with us. I yanked my mother eastwards, facing her towards our local town. Glancing back, I saw my father pick up a sturdy branch and slice it through the air in the direction of my mother. She turned, and released a piercing scream, fear written plainly in her eyes. I released her hand and turned over a pot of soaking beans from the veranda. I risked two shaky steps towards him, by now the branch was half a metre from mother. I whacked the pot with such a deadly force onto a clump of thin, brown hair, that I was knocked onto the ground, breathless. For a moment, everything stopped. Then all of a sudden I was jerked back into reality, and the full impact hit me with no sympathy. The drug-beaten man landed in slow motion on the ground. I hadn’t meant to, no, it all went wrong. No!!! I had got him in his left temple. I dared a peek at my mother. She was standing there in shock, the branch not inches from her feet.
“Hurry,” I mumbled “run, I’ll be right by your side as soon as I can.”
I stood paralysed to the spot, watching as my fragile mother jogged weakly and disappeared behind a strip of Coromandel Peninsula hills. I was too stunned to move. I didn’t know what had come over me. What will we do now? I wouldn’t be getting off lightly for committing murder. Even at only thirteen. I stored my thoughts to the back of my head, and fought my way over our sofa. Gathering possessions that only would come of good use later on, I had time to figure things out. We couldn’t stay here, that was certain. But who would let a murderer stay in their house? They’d surely call the police. The police! Oh my goodness!!! How on earth were we supposed to hide from them. At least they won’t find out about this straight away, that gave us a head start… I hope. As I made my way over our couch for the last time, I took in the last of the house I had so carefully memorised. I felt clear, warm liquid ooze out of my eye. My legs carried me out of view of the property and I followed my mother’s footsteps down the hill. I couldn’t see any trace of her, but it was possible that she could already be in the forest. It sort of surprised me. I didn’t think she was that strong. I breathed in the refreshing cool air, the first proper breath I’d had in a long time. I was so used to breathing short, sharp breaths, in fear I would miss hearing my father sneak behind and hurt me. I entered the bush, expecting to see the distant figure of my mother. All of a sudden, only gaps of sunlight pushed through the trees. I followed a long winding trail towards Paeroa and my thoughts returned to what had just happened. I desperately needed to find someone to talk to. I would have a long conversation with my mother as soon as I caught up with her, which wouldn’t be long.
© Copyright 2011 Kylie (kylierose at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1807940-Getting-nowhere