*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808122-Jacob-and-Anna
Rated: ASR · Short Story · Romance/Love · #1808122
Jacob and Anna are supposed to be getting married tomorrow, but something gets in the way.
Anna.

“Why?” I thought. “Why is this happening?”

I shrugged on a sweater over my elegant silk and lace dress. My eyes closed as I sobbed to the waves as everyone stood behind me, silently praying that he would come.

Secretly, though, I knew he never would.

-One day earlier-

“Are you almost ready?” I asked, impatient. Being a woman, it’s stereotypical that I would be the one taking an hour to get ready for my rehearsal dinner.

“Yes.” He said, but it sounded sad. I walked into the bathroom and put a hand on his shoulder.

“Are you alright, love?” I asked, concerned. He avoided my eyes, constantly looking down, into the mirror, or up at the ceiling.

“I guess.” He answered.

“Just think, darling. At this time tomorrow, we’ll be married.” I said, in an effort to cheer him up. I smiled brightly at the idea, but he barely returned it. He gave a small, pathetic smile.

“Of course.” He said, and frowned again. I frowned with him, and began to worry.

“Is something wrong?”

“Just tired. Let’s just go or we’ll be late, okay?” He said. I tried to push any negative thoughts out of my mind, but I couldn’t help but worry.

Jacob was more lively at the rehearsal dinner. He was himself again. He laughed, joked, and smiled brightly at the toasts that some of his family had made to us. He also ate plenty, so I assumed he was alright. However, he still refused to look into my eyes. Any time I would tell him I loved him, he’d say it back without looking. Maybe he really was just tired.

When we returned home, it was very late. We basically went straight to bed, but it was different. I knew something was wrong now. No late-night talks or kisses before bed. Just a turn away from me, a sigh, and an “I’m tired, goodnight.” No ‘sweetheart.’ No ‘honeyboo.’ Just goodnight.

“…Goodnight.” I said, hoping he’d pick up on the sorrow in my voice and reassure me that everything was okay. He didn’t. He simply went to sleep.

I hope he won’t call off the wedding tomorrow. As of tonight, that is my greatest fear.

-Two Days Earlier-

“Jacob?” I called through the house. I slipped off my heels and placed my shopping bags onto the floor. I checked in the study, and there he was, sitting on his laptop. I quietly walked up behind him, placing my head just above his shoulder to creep on what he was doing, but he was only checking e-mail.

“Hey honey! What are you doing?” I said, loudly. I must have startled him, because not only did he jump, but he shut his laptop instantly and had a panicked look on his face when he turned to face me.

“H-hey, Anna. I didn’t know you were coming home this early!”

“Alice had to leave early to pick up her son. The school called saying he wasn’t feeling well.”

“Oh, oh, okay.” He said. He still sounded a little shaken.

“Are you alright? You look as if I just caught you doing something horribly wrong.” He started laughing.

“Haha! No, no. I’d never do anything like that. Never.” He reassured me, but he was acting really strange.

“…Okay, then. Remember we have the rehearsal dinner tomorrow. Do you know what you’re going to wear and everything?”

“Yes. Don’t take an hour to get ready this time!” He shouted at me. I giggled.

“I’ll try my best.” I said. I smiled, and he returned it.

Jacob.

Tears flowed down my face as I tried to keep my eyes on the road. I ripped the bowtie off my tux in anger as I slammed on the horn for the idiots in front of me to go faster.

“What have I done?” I thought. “Her heart is probably in pieces. Was it really worth it?”

-One Day Earlier-

I splashed water on my face, and bathed it with my hands. I looked straight into my eyes through the mirror.

“Who are you?” I asked myself. “What are you going to do? What should you do? Who should you hurt?” I dried my face with a towel, and adjusted my tie.

“Are you almost ready?” I heard her ask. I tried to contain my inner feelings and reply with a mask of happiness.

“Yes.” I replied. I failed, and I knew she had noticed. Next thing I know, she’s right next to me with a hand on my shoulder.

“Are you alright, love?” She asked, staring directly at me. I knew I would break down if I looked into her eyes. I avoided them at all costs.

“I guess.” I answered.

“Just think, darling. At this time tomorrow, we’ll be married.” She said. I could tell she was trying to cheer me up, but she had no idea what was really going on. I couldn’t tell her, so I buried it inside and attempted at faking a smile to return her large, gorgeous one.

“Of course.” I replied, and my fake smile faded. Her real one left with mine.

“Is something wrong?” She asked.

“Just tired. Let’s just go or we’ll be late, okay?” I knew she didn’t believe my lie, but she still bought it, and we left.

It was easier pretending to be happy at the rehearsal dinner, surrounded by more people other than Anna. It was easier to put on a show. I returned all of Anna’s “I love you”s as well. I think maybe she’ll be worrying less now, being reassured that I still do love her.

When we returned home, I was emotionally exhausted from putting on a smile for so long. A crawled into bed with a simple “I’m tired. Goodnight.”

“…Goodnight.” I heard her reply, sorrowfully. I didn’t turn around though. I lied there and stared at the wall for hours, wondering what I should do.

-Two Days Earlier-

I stared at the screen in awe, not knowing what to do or how to reply back.

“Dear Jacob,” The e-mail read.

“I know this is a terrible time, and I’m sorry, but I have to say it. You can go ahead and delete this after reading it and I will completely understand, but I have to say it. I saw you walking with Anna the other day, linking hands, and I realized that I’ve never truly gotten over you. You’re my entire life and I was stupid and naive to leave you for Marcus. Marcus never treat me as well as you did. You were always so much better than him and I realize that now. I regret that it’s taken me so long, but I realize it. And if you’d give me the chance, I’ll love you like you should be loved. But if you won’t, I’ll understand. If you’re happy, I’m happy.

Love, Janette.”

Janette. My ex-girlfriend from two years ago who broke my heart into a million pieces after leaving me for her ex. Her ex that never treated her right, even when they were together.

My hands shook. My palms were sweaty. Deep down, I knew I still loved her too. I loved Anna, but I never got over Janette. Not for a second.

“Dear Janette” I typed.

“I’m with Anna now. I’m marrying her in two days. I don’t know how to respond to your message.

To tell you the truth, I never got over you either. I think about you a lot. But I also think about what you did to me a lot. And I’m not sure I can trust you again.

From, Jacob.”

I refreshed the page a lot, hoping she was still online, hoping that I could have a direct conversation with her. Luckily, I could. I opened my next e-mail.

“Dear Jacob,

I understand if you love her more. I’m sorry for butting in on your life. Even with feelings for me, I can’t be getting myself into your life again when you are getting married soon.

Just know that you could trust me again if you ever were to come back.

Love, Janette.”

I thought to myself before writing another e-mail. Do I really love Anna more? Janette and I never really got the chance to get married, or even to become serious enough to think about it. Suddenly, I wasn’t sure.

“Dear Janette” I wrote.

“I’m not sure anymore. I love you, and I love Anna. What should I do?”

I sent it, just like that. One simple line, without a signature. She replied quickly as well.

“Dear Jacob,

If you decide you want to be with me, come to my house on Saturday.” That was all she wrote. Saturday is my wedding day. I had a lot to think about before then.

“Hey honey! What are you doing?” I suddenly heard in a loud feminine voice behind me. I quickly shut my laptop before she could see who I was talking to and I turned to face her to make sure. She was smiling, so I assumed she saw nothing.

“H-hey Anna. I didn’t know you were coming home this early!” I said. I was trying to stay calm, but it wasn’t working very well.

“Alice had to leave early to pick up her son. The school called saying he wasn’t feeling well.”

“Oh, oh, okay.” I was stumbling over my words, desperately trying to keep it together.

“Are you alright? You look as if I just caught you doing something horribly wrong.” Instinctively, I started laughing really hard. I was always a terrible liar, especially to Anna.

“Haha! No, no. I’d never do anything like that. Never.”

“…Okay, then. Remember we have the rehearsal dinner tomorrow. Do you know what you’re going to wear and everything?” She asked. She sounded suspicious of my strange behavior.

“Yes. Don’t take an hour to get ready this time!” I shouted at her. Girls always take a long time to get ready, as if they have to sit there and think about life decisions while putting on a dress.

“I’ll try my best.” She replied. She smiled, and I tried my best to return it.
© Copyright 2011 lubitalovestories (moofinsmoofin at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1808122-Jacob-and-Anna