*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809299-TREASURES-IN-A-LOCKED-DRAWER
by LAM
Rated: E · Poetry · Experience · #1809299
This poem is about a father who even from his family kept secrets. Then it was revealed.
“TREASURES IN A LOCKED DRAWER”
By Linda Robinson

So many treasures locked in a drawer, the key held by a complicated man.
Secretly from even his beloved family a forbidden drawer.
A wooden desk in his study, a locked drawer that never opened except for the man with the key.
As long as I could remember I would watch and wonder what was kept in the drawer.
As I got older the suspense at times nearly drove me crazy not knowing what could be so treasured.
This man my father had it all money, friends in high places, gold and valued coins.
But they were out and in view so the curiosity continued to grow, what could this man value more than even that?
For years I would catch a glimpse of him from another room putting objects into the drawer but again immediately it was once again locked.
Then one day when he passed away, I held the key it was now up to me.
Now as odd it may sound, the thrill of now having the key that held unanswered questions for me, seemed not quite as important as it used to be.
Thoughts ran through my head still, I wanted to see, but what if it was something that I would dread.
Weeks passed but still I couldn’t bring myself to open the locked drawer.
But it was time for whatever was so sacred to my father to be revealed no matter what I would feel.
Still on my mind as the key was slowly inserted into the lock, what I would find.
Once the drawer was opened, I was surprised and stunned at the objects in the drawer never seen
before.
This harden man had a side of him that was rarely seen, a drawer filled with letters and cards piled high from his kids and family through the years.
I read the cards and letters carefully tucked away.
With tear filled eyes, I now knew after all these years what my father treasured more than anything else in his life, his kids, grandkids and his wife.
© Copyright 2011 LAM (dilligaf at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1809299-TREASURES-IN-A-LOCKED-DRAWER