*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812269-Facing-Fears--The-Dragster
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1812269
This short story sums up my two seconds of exhileration on the Dragster at Ceder Point.
My hands shook as I waited in line. Normally, a wait for the Dragster would take hours, but our family had been sure to get up early just for the prestigious roller coaster. I tried to swallow the lump in my throat, but it wouldn't go down. Oh, why had I ever let them talk me into this? The Dragster was the most ferocious ride in Cedar Point, one of the highest and fastest rides in the entire world. Going straight up and straight down 420 feet at 120 miles per hour, I was certain I was about to look into the eyes of death. I gazed up at the red upside-down U shaped coaster, my brown eyes glazed with fear.
Suddenly, we were at the front of the line, and I wished with all my heart that we hadn't gotten up so early for this. I'm only thirteen! I thought. I'm too young to die! I clamped my hand around my mom's and looked up at her with fear. "Goodbye," I whispered. "I love you, Mom." Mom smiled at my drama, but even she seemed worried about the Dragster. We got into the cart and waited for the ride to start, and, I thought, our lives to end.
"Alright, hang on, 'cause you're about to see something you've never seen before," said the amused announcer of the rollercoaster. "Yeah, like my life flash before my eyes," Mom murmured. I took in a deep gulp of air, reminding myself to keep breathing.
The green light flicked on, and for what felt like an eternity, we sat in the carts. I braced myself, not allowing any stiff part of my body to relax. Dad's words echoed in my head: This ride'll be faster than anything you've ever been on before.
Suddenly, I opened my mouth, wanting to shout, 'Stop the ride! Stop the ride!'
-but it was too late.
I felt it before I realized it- the rush of the wind as we surged forward on the metal tracks. I clamped my mouth shut, remembering TV comedies with people in open vehicles swallowing bugs. We rushed forward smoothly, straight up.
There was no familiar pause as we went downward. I felt myself going straight down, getting a direct bird's eye view of the entire park.
And then it was over.
The ride lasted only two seconds, but I was exhilerated. My right leg shook as I sat in the cart next to my mom, a goofy smile on my face. "That was awesome!" I exclaimed breathlessly.

© Copyright 2011 JuniorWriter21 (ezas123 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812269-Facing-Fears--The-Dragster