*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812551-Schizo-Introduction
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Yomi
Rated: ASR · Fiction · Sci-fi · #1812551
Split personalities vying for a space in one girls mind
         “Have you ever heard of Schizophrenia?” The doctor asked his students. They all nodded as he led them down the halls of the large Psychiatric ward of the hospital. The doctor was tall and young, in his late twenties. His long black hair was tied back into a horsetail that fell to his shoulder blades and contrasted with his white lab coat. Curious blue grey eyes were set in a pale face behind wire thin spectacles.  He came to a stop before a locked door and turned around.
         “Now, can anyone else tell me anything about it?” he questioned the team. A number of them raised their hands and he called on one in the back.
         “Yes, Miss Thurdekoss.”
         “Schizophrenia is also known as Dissociative Identity Disorder.” The blonde stated dutifully. “It is a condition in which a single person displays multiple unique personalities, each with its own pattern of interaction with an environment. It requires that at least two personalities routinely take control of the individual's behavior with a related memory loss that goes beyond normal forgetfulness. In addition, symptoms cannot be due to substance abuse or medical condition.”
         “Very good. Now, the patient we are about to see next has one of the most interesting cases we have ever seen in one singular human.” The doctor said, pulling out his pass key. The door clicked open with a satisfying buzz to reveal a completely white room devoid of any décor save for the four chairs that blended into their surroundings. Across from them, a window, small enough for three to see comfortably, was inserted into the wall. As the students sat down, they saw that there were small holes drilled into the glass, allowing those on either side the ability to speak.
         “Look.” The doctor said, indicating with his clipboard to the glass. Inside a young girl sat, her dark hair obscuring her face from the view of others. As if she could sense the curious gazes penetrating the glass, she shifted so that all could be seen was the white long sleeved shirt and pants that covered her body.
         “She can’t be older than twelve.” One student whispered. The doctor looked up from where he had been writing notes to smile.
         “Actually, she turned fifteen a few weeks ago Mr. Daniels. It is because of her position that you cannot tell.”
         “But Dr. Fujioka, why is this particular subject interesting?” A young red headed woman asked, peering closer at the girl.
         “It was nearly a year ago when her mother admitted her to my office for help. I found her intriguing and soon found it necessary to detain her in order to assist her in achieving total normalcy.” he replied, thoughtfully pulling on a strand of dark hair.
         “But, why?” Miss Thurdekoss asked. Dr. Fujioka opened the folder he held and began to slowly read.
         “She was born Diana Woodson on March 27, fifteen years ago. She had an average grades and an average family with one other sibling besides herself. Because of certain circumstances, she was forced to move every two years. It was only a year ago that the symptoms of mild Schizophrenia showed up.” he finished, snapping it shut.
         “But, Doctor, if it was mild, why is she here?” the red head asked again.
         “You speak of the other.” a whispery voice suddenly said. Standing slightly hunched by the glass, the girl had spoken.
         “So, Diana, you’re awake. I hope we didn’t disturb you.” The doctor said, quickly coming near.
         “We are not Diana.” she said again in that same voice. The students shivered. Her voice didn’t sound like one single voice, it sounded like two, blended together to make one. Only it was too distorted to be real.
         “Then who are you?” The Doctor asked again. The girl’s head snapped up to fix the whole room with her eyes. The blonde Miss Thurdekoss began to fall backwards but not before Mr. Daniels caught her. ‘Diana’s’ eyes were two different colors. The right was a bright emerald green that stared defiantly at the room, the other was an almost unearthly gold color and regarded the doctor warily.
         “We are one and the same. What was once one is now two. We are no longer just a singular form, we are two in one body. We are unchanged.” she said, the force in her speech increasing. Her white fingers began to press against the glass and her nails scratched over the smooth surface.
         “Why do you always ask the same questions when you know the answer? When will you let us go?”
         “When you let Diana go then I will be satisfied.” he replied. The girl bared her teeth in anger.
         “He will come for us soon enough. Then you will wish you had listened to us sooner.” The girl finally said, pushing away from the glass.
         “W-where is Diana?” Mr. Daniels asked shakily. The girl turned her head back to him.
         “She is resting. Safe. Inside.” With those last chilling words, the strange girl turned and walked away to the middle of the floor, where she lay down and closed her unearthly eyes. Dr. Fujioka sighed and took a seat in one of the pale chairs.
         “Never,” The red headed Jackie whispered, collapsing  into a chair. “Never in a million years would anyone find someone so…” he trailed off.
         “Unique.” Dr Fujioka finished for him.
         “Doctor, how did she become like that?” Jackie asked.  The man looked at his eager students, vying for an answer. He smiled warily.
         “Who knows? According to her mother, one day she just started being that way.”
         “What about her eyes?”
         “That happens when she gets irritated.” The doctor answered. Trembling Miss Thurdekoss raised her hand.
         “Yes Julia?” Dr. Fujioka asked, turning his tiered eyes to her.
         “Who was she referring to when she said ‘he will come’?” the woman asked fixing her eyes on the girl. So far, she hadn’t moved from her prior position.
         “I don’t know. But she regards him with some sort of wanting, like he’s a vital source she needs in order to live.” The young doctor stood after speaking and led his students away. As they made their way out of the door Mr. Daniels caught his sleeve.
         “Dr. Fujioka, what does she call herself if she isn’t Diana?” he asked. The doctor shut the door behind him.
         “Kara,” he answered, looking up wantonly. “She calls herself Kara.”



© Copyright 2011 Yomi (yamifugato at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812551-Schizo-Introduction