*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812943-Camping-Out
Rated: E · Short Story · Entertainment · #1812943
A man finds peace in the woods
Lenny returned to the same spot every night for the past week. It was deeper in the woods this time, farther away from the sound of car horns, train whistles, or blaring sirens. Peaceful, even with the night sounds of the owl who hooted somewhere up in the treetops

After he gathered enough dried branches and twigs he started his campfire. When smoke curled in the air he grabbed the knapsack from a hollow cavity of an ancient sycamore tree. He unrolled the camouflage sleeping bag he paid $3.00 for at the Goodwill store and spread it beside the fire under a cloud covered moon. Before he sat down to enjoy the comfort and warmth, he dug into the pockets of his baggy jeans and found a granola bar. Peeling back the wrapper, he took the first bite and savored the honey taste.

He liked it here – this spot of utopia and the wood burning smell, but leaves were beginning to sail down, the night air crisper, and the steady breeze would raise goose bumps by early dawn when the fire punked out, like the day before when a coyote stood only a few feet away. Lenny didn’t know what to do so he jumped around like an Indian and hollered. The coyote stared hard at him before turning tail.

He didn’t know where to camp next. He liked his freedom, but if he wasn’t careful…if they caught him he would have to share a cell with someone and if that someone talked to much, he’d have to shut him up, like the last guy at the shelter, when they called the police and he escaped through the alley into the evening with blood on his hands.

Lenny shivered, but he didn’t want to think about it just yet.

Word Count: 299



© Copyright 2011 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1812943-Camping-Out