*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1813522-The-Cave
Rated: E · Short Story · Thriller/Suspense · #1813522
A story about how greed can get the better of you.
The hike up the mountain was a hard, laborious endeavour. Finally, through the trees at the end of the path, Eric could see the cave. He tread heavily until he reached its opening. He sat down upon a fallen tree lying at the mouth of the cave, rested his head on the palms of his hands and rubbed his burning eyes. He looked at the ground and saw something shiny that caught his attention. It was black, but brilliant. Eric picked it up. It looked like a black onyx, finely cut and polished. It looked as if someone put it there purposefully.

After catching his breath and feeling more energetic he stood up and entered the cave. His footsteps echoed as he stepped on the hard, stone ground. As he got deeper inside the cave, Eric took his flashlight out of his packsack. It was getting darker as he was going deeper inside. When he was deep within the cave, Eric heard someone approach him. "Who’s there?" He shouted, a little frightened.

A frail old man stepped into the light of his lamp, outstretched his hand and in a raspy voice, croaked the words, "You have my crystal. Give it back or you will never leave this place."

Eric looked at the old man and laughed, "Just how would an old decrepit man like you stop me? I’m keeping it."

"I know you like it," whispered the old man, "I have more. More beautiful and brilliant in color than that."

"Really? Show them to me, old man! " demanded Eric.

The old man pointed to the far wall of the cave with his wrinkled finger. The wall faded away as Eric looked upon it. Inside were piles of gold and jewels.

"Whooh!” exclaimed Eric.

"I know your eyes are dazzled," the old man said with a sinister simper. "I’ll tell you this; if you promise to be my companion for the rest of my life, I will give you all of my treasure. I'm too old and tired. I need someone who will keep me company until the end of my days."

Eric stared at the gold and jewels dumbfounded. He looked at the old man and stuttered the words, "Uh, yeah, sure. Whatever you want, old man."

"Then take what is yours.” the old man replied.

Eric walked into the cavern. As he approached the piles of jewels he saw old human bones laying all about. He turned quickly to face the old man and the wall materialized before him. "HEY!" Eric screamed, “You said if I promised to be your friend I could go!"

"No," said the old man, "I never promised you that."
© Copyright 2011 The Northern Optimist (yusuf1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1813522-The-Cave