*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815080-Hitchhiker
Rated: E · Short Story · Entertainment · #1815080
A bumblebee dines with a woman on her birthday.
Dorie was the kind of person who would call her husband at his work and ask-- no, tell him he must bring her a bagel because she was hungry. This occurred at least once or twice a week. It would take him at least 45 minutes to do this when all she had to do was drive herself to Einstein Bagels, get her own, and be satisfied in less than 15 minutes.

People huddled around the water fountain and whispered about Dorie in the most unfavorable way. Not that she didn’t deserve it. Dorie was the worst gossip in the office, but no one stood up to her due to the fact her boss was the head honcho of this division and the rest of the staff were middle management and below. Dorie gossiped on the telephone daily about people who worked for the company. Plenty of people could hear her. She didn’t have any scruples and would spin exaggerated stories about others. Some even got fired. Still, Dorie the Ogre, a secretary in the department was blame free.

On her birthday, she called her husband and asked that he bring her a bagel. “No, I don’t want a cake to share with others… dammit…I want my own bagel.” She slammed the phone down.

This time when the bagel arrived, her husband also included a bouquet of colorful flowers. She sashayed from the reception desk to her office, all smiles. Some people wished her happy birthday just as a courtesy. She placed the flowers next to her computer, unwrapped and ate her bagel.

People peeked over their cubicle walls when Dorie screamed and started swatting at something. No one came to her aid. A bumblebee hitched a ride with the lovely bouquet and Dorie was quite allergic.

Word Count: 300
© Copyright 2011 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815080-Hitchhiker