*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815347-My-Princess-Bride
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Drama · #1815347
Why cant a princess marry who she chooses.




Chapter One

         Princess Elisabeth stood in front of her parents with a stubborn chin and not taking her dark blue eyes off her father’s sullen face.
         “Elisa my dear,” he repeated. “You have been betrothed to Prince Derek, one day we need some one to take over the kingdom and who is more certified for the task then he who has already been trained into kingship and you ruling by his side”.
         “I do not love him Father,” she calmly said back.
         “You will learn to love him as time goes by after your marriage.”
         “Father, I can’t love that man! I have seen his heart, it’s cruel, prideful and he treats his servants and maids with a crack of the whip. I can’t marry that.”
         “I’m sure it’s just his teenage way of finding his place in life,” her father said crossing his arms as he laid back into his throne chair.
         “Mother please,” she pleaded looking at her. “I don’t want to marry him.”
         “Elisa,” her Father hollered, making her jump. “I do not want to hear no more of this nonsense; your courtship starts in two weeks when you turn eighteen.”
         Elisa straightened up and with all the calmness she could muster as she turned away from him she said, “Prince Derek is going to catch a cold from all the ice within his soul.”

         Elisa jumped into a run as she exited the Great Hall. She ran out to the court yard as fast as her legs would take her. Down the stone steps she flew, scattering chickens in the barnyard. Her skirts swaying behind her as she entered the stables.
         “Princess Elisabeth,” Allen said looking surprised. “Why the hurry?” He leaned on his shovel handle, his tousled black hair made him look younger then his thirty years.
         “I need to get out of here for awhile,” she said breathlessly. “I’m taking Rain for a ride.”
         He bowed to her and asked if she wanted his help. She said a polite no thank you and headed down the stable hall.
         Rain softly nickered to her as she approached her stall.
         “Hello girl,” she said putting her bridle on. “I know I’m not in riding clothes for this but today I don’t care.”
         Elisa jumped on her bareback and down the cobble stone road they trotted.

         She could hear the Wandering Falls as they drew nearer. The water was fed from a mountain glacier that was many miles away. The river meandered thru the valley before making the waterfall in this great canyon. It was like salve to her soul to hear the rushing water hit the rocks below and bubble over them. The spray from the mountain cool water hit her face as Rain walked by. She didn’t have to tell her horse where to go, she knew. They came here quite often. The big oak tree loomed in front of them just a few yards away. Rain stopped at it and she jumped down. The back of her dress was soiled from Rains dusty back. She walked over to the waters edge and splashed ice cold water on her face. She couldn’t change her fathers mind for nothing. He couldn’t see how Prince Derek was, oh why couldn’t she pick who she wanted to marry, with the right training, anybody could rule a kingdom, right?
         “Hello my lovely princess.”
         Startling Elisa from her thoughts, she spun around.
         “Oh Jake,” she cried as she ran and flung her arms around his neck sobbing. Jake picked her up as she jumped into his arms. Elisa’s feet dangling from her five foot two frame. His thick blonde hair tickling her face as he snuggled her up to him.
         “I take it that your, your father didn’t budge?” he questioned with his slight stutter. He set her back down on her feet.
         Elisa turned her teary eyed face up at him and nodded. “I am to start my courtship with Prince Derek in two weeks when I turn eighteen,” she sobbed.
         Jake didn’t have words for her, he just held her. Finally she quit crying and slumped to the ground, her dress puffing out around her. Jake sat cross-legged next to her holding her hand. Griffin, Jakes jet black horse joined Elisa’s white and black paint mare by the water. The steady munching of the tender grass could be heard from both of them.
         Elisa pulled her hand away and held her head, looking down into her lap. Her long honey colored hair catching the suns rays, which made it shimmer.
         “Your Father wouldn’t listen at, at all,” he asked sticking a piece of dried grass in his mouth as he starting chewing on the end of it.
         She shook her head. “No, he told me that I would come to love him after our marriage and basically he’s going thru a phase, pertaining to that he’s not the person I say he is, but Jake?” she said turning to him. “Why can’t I marry the man I love? Even if he was a good man, I don’t love him.”
         Jake looked into her tear streaked face, her eyes searching for an answer.
         ‘I, I don’t know,” he answered. “I guess it’s just the way its, its done.”
         She sighed. “I got to find a way to get out of it.”
          Jake jumped up and pulled his sword out from its sheath, the suns light flashing off the blade. “I can kill him for, for you.”
         “No,” she said jumping up and standing in front of him. “I won’t have you do that, what if you get caught? I won’t have it!” Her eyes flashing like his sword.
         He replaced the sword in its sheath and looked at her with intense light blue eyes.
         “I would lay my heart at the foot of your dress princess.”
         “I would rather live knowing you are near then in the ground, if we couldn’t be together.”
         “I don’t know if I, I could do that my love,” he said embracing her.
         She buried her face in his chest. If only I could stay here forever she thought.
         “Wait a minute,” she said lifting her head. “Let’s do something crazy so we can be together.”
         “You must be thinking what I’m thinking.”
         Elisa reached up and touched his lips before Jake gave her deep promising kiss.

         King Eon watched his daughter as she did her studies in the library. There was a difference in her the last five days or so. She hadn’t talked about her courtship coming up but she didn’t rebel against it either like she had before. He had seen the way she ran out of the castle that day when he told her no more nonsense on the matter. Maybe she decided to take her place and make the best of it.
         “Elisa seems to be in much better spirits my dear queen.”
         Queen Lillian looked up at her husband from the vanity mirror where she was sitting, brushing her long blonde hair.
         “I have noticed it too, but I still don’t agree she shouldn’t have to marry a man she doesn’t love.”
         “You married me.”
         ‘We were in love,” she said turning around to face him. “There was no available princess for you so you got to choose.”
         “She will learn to love Prince Derek all the same.”
         “I hope your right my King.” but Queen Lillian wasn’t so sure and just hoped her daughter would learn to love Prince Derek. She couldn’t imagine living with a man you didn’t love even though it has been done out of convenience for the Kingdoms of the different king and queens who ruled them.

         

         Jake had just screwed the lid on the jar when he heard foot steps.
A soft knock at his door followed.
         “Come in,” he answered as he put the jar in a knapsack on his bed.
         “Hello nephew,” his Uncle Leaf said as he entered. “I was wondering if I could get your help this afternoon on the barn. It needs a stall wall rebuilt, had a horse tear it down today.”
         Jake gave him a glance then turned his head. “I would love to, to help you Uncle but I have, have an activity tonight I need to, to finish.”
         “Ok, if you change your mind, let me know, could use you lad”. Leaf turned around and stepped out the door closing it behind him. What has gotten into that boy he wondered, it seems he had been busy with other things that Jake wasn’t telling him and it wasn’t like him to not want to help either.
         “I better keep a close eye on him.” He mumbled to himself as he continued down the hall.
         Jake listened to his uncle’s foot steps fade away. He felt bad turning him down but what he had to do tonight was very important. Grabbing the bag he headed out the back door. Griffin was saddled and waiting at the hitching post. He gave his horse a bite of apple. “We got a lot to, to do tonight brother,” he said as he untied him and swung up into the saddle. He turned around to make sure he wasn’t being followed as they walked down the road. A couple wooden buildings sat a ways down from their place. One was the barn and stables, the other a metal working shop. They lived on the out skirts of the city, Kalan, where his Uncle was a metal smith. He was handy at making many things out of metal and had also taught Jake the trade.

         Jake got to the Wandering Falls and Elisa wasn’t there yet. He dismounted Griffin and untied the knap sack from the saddle. An hour passed by and he began wondering about her. They were suppose to meet here at dusk. Clouds blocked the moon from shinning its light. Everything was draped in darkness. Worry started forming in his mind, did she get caught? Fall off Rain and get hurt? His stomach started tying its self in knots. He would wait for a few more minutes and risk getting closer to the castle to see if she was close to the path she took when leaving the main trail.
         As his mind was pondering on her whereabouts, a shuffle in the bushes came from the south east. Jolting him from his thoughts, he drew his sword and waited. A whinny came from the bushes and out stepped Elisa and Rain.
         Jake let out a relieved sigh and re scabbard his sword.
         Elisa looked around her cautiously, then behind her.
         “Lessa,” Jake began. “Some one following you?”
         She turned around giving him a sober look. “I spotted a guard,” she said walking toward him. “I think I eluded him.”
         Jake gave her a hug as he rested his chin on the top of her head. He could smell her sweet lavender soap as is assaulted his senses. Thoughts of caressing her soft body crowded his mind. He shook the thought away. He knew she wasn’t ready for anything like that and he respected that. His deep love for her was more important then anything else could be.
         “Let’s get this done and get you and Rain back to the castle before some one finds us here.”
         They both had been meeting here for eleven months undetected. The Mandeep Castle was surrounded by hundreds of acres of flat land with lush forest. The peaceful Andresa Mountains made a beautiful back drop to Mandeep. The guards and keepers always knew she went out to ride on the property. They didn’t know about her secret trail to here on just the property line of Mandeep. Now at a time when they really didn’t need to be noticed a guard tried to follow her? He still could remember the first time he saw her. She was in boy’s pants and a long sleeved white shirt that was to big for her, out with the horses. Her hair in a braid and tied up in a bun under her hat. She was ground working a young colt that was giving her problems. Jake and his Uncle had come to the castle to look at a couple lame horses. He was going to help put proper shoes on the horses to help correct their lameness. While Leif was talking to the king, Jake decided to walk out to the corral to watch this lady. He didn’t know it was the princess until she turned around and looked at him. Her eyes giving him a fleeting look as he stood at the corral with his right foot propped up on the bottom wood railing.
         “I see that colt is, is giving you some problems,” he said.
         “Very much so,” she retorted back out of breath. She said whoa and tugged at his halter. The colt came to a stop and faced her. Jake crawled thru the corral poles and walked over to her.
         “Would you, you like some help?” Jake implied giving her a bow.
         “If you have any suggestions, I’m not too proud to take them,” she said giving the colt a stern look.
         Instantly Jake really liked her. He had heard that she was a lady; the servants, chamber maids, and staff of the castle adored her and respected her. She looked after her people and made sure they were treated right no matter what the problem maybe. The city of Kalan thrived well under her parents rule. There was a lot of hope in the princess and the prince she was betrothed to. In a year she was to start courting with Prince Derek from the next country of Perry. Jake had heard talk about Prince Derek that made him feel unsettled.
         “Well my kinsman,” Elisa said jolting Jake from his thoughts. “What word of advice can you give me about this colt?”
         Jake gave her smile and for the next few minutes he helped her correct the colts submissiveness and before long, the colt was listening to Elisa’s every command. He was disappointed when Leif called him to help with the shoeing. Her company was like a cool breeze, refreshing and relaxing.
         King Eon put on a dinner and ball for King Gerald, Queen Abigail and their son Prince Derek. It was to be the start of planning for Princess Elisa and Prince Derek’s courtship. King Eon was very pleased with the way the horses were healing from their lameness due to Leif and Jake shoeing them. He invited them to join the party.
         Leif and Jake rode their horses to the castle. The sun cast a white, pinkish glow across the valley as it started disappearing over the horizon. The cobblestone road was lit up with lanterns on both sides as it led up to the castle gate. The towers of the gate house stood grandiosely tall, with the countries flags of blue and gold, waving in the wind from the towers top roof. A guard stopped them and asked for their invitation. He was wearing blue trousers and cloak with a gold tunic underneath. Gold ruffles cascaded down his shirt front. His shoes were black and polished, shined like the lanterns. As Leif handed him the paper, Jake looked up and seen guards on the walk, walk. They paced back and forth along the top edge of the walls. They were in general fighting garb. The lantern light hanging from the wall, made their metal breastplates shine like the stars in the sky.
         The guard handed back their invitation and waved them thru the gate. Music and laughter permeated from inside the Great Hall. Leif and Jake dismounted and handed their horses over to a couple eager stable boys. The court yard was magnificent, large round pillars of gray marble with fancy ledges and corners, stood from one place to another holding up the roof that had symmetrical shapes carved on the ceiling. There must have been hundreds of people walking about. Leif and Jake elbowed their way thru the crowd and up the dozen or so steps to the doors that led into Great Hall. Another guard greeted them and offered to take their cloaks. Jake was happy to hand it over. He knew if he didn’t get rid of it, the sweat would just start pouring off him in this stuffy hot place.
         “I’m going to go find the buttery, I need a drink,” Leif said as he put his hand on Jakes shoulder. His uncle was only an inch shorter then himself. Looking him in the eye Leif said. “Enjoy your self, and don’t miss out on dinner. You got your seat number, right?”
         “I sure do,” Jake answered back giving his uncle a playful shove on his shoulder.
         Leif disappeared into the throng of people. Jake turned a circle, taking in his surroundings. Gentlemen and ladies dressed in their best paraded the smooth gray marble floor of the Great Hall. The lanterns twice the size and grandeur of the front door ones lit the room up like day, showing the happy expressions of all the guests. He was looking only for one person. Ever since that day in the corral he could not keep his mind off her. Oh sure he knew he didn’t have a chance with her, he was no prince, she only looked at him as a kinsman, but he wanted to be in her company at least one more time. He looked up at the winding stairs that led up to the castles second floor, where the king’s family had their living quarters. Gracefully coming down the steps was Elisa. Her hand slid down the oak banister that turned with the steps. She had her hair pulled up. A curly pony tail cascaded down the middle of her back. A crystal band went around her head and weaved thru her ponytail. She wore a crystal drop necklace with earrings to match. They caught the lantern light, casting dancing lights around her. She wore a dark blue dress with a low cut neck and long sleeves. A light blue satin belt came around her hips and hung almost to the floor. It was so simple and breathtaking as it hugged her curves naturally. It trailed behind her a couple feet and rolled over the steps like waves on the ocean. She was definitely a far cry from boy’s pants and an oversized long sleeved shirt.
         He didn’t realize he was holding his breath until a hand slapped him on the back. He about choked on the air that came rushing out of his lungs.
         “She breathtaking huh man?” came a voice.
         Jake turned around to see who the slap came from as he tried to regain his composure. A man much shorter and older then he looked up at him.
         “She’s like a butterfly, beautiful and gone, gone to someone else. After seeing that beholden look on your face son, don’t be falling for her, because she is betrothed and you probably won’t even get ten feet near her.”
         Jake looked the little man up and down. A few slivers of gray beginning at his hairline. A pointy nose stuck out between two serious green eyes.
         “Watch me.” and with not another word, Jake swung around and headed toward Elisa. She was already swarmed by people who were congratulating her on her up coming courtship. Jakes words pounded in his mind. What exactly did he mean by watch me? Win her heart or get less then ten feet from her? He wasn’t so sure now.
The crowd backed off little by little. As he saw his chance coming, he walked up to her and said “Princes Lessa,” and bowed. He couldn’t get Elisa out. What is she going to think of me now he thought? I can’t even say her name right.
         “Do I know you?” she asked cocking her head sideways to try and get a look at him.
         Jake stood straight up and answered “Yes, I, I was the one here a while ago that, that helped you with a colt, he was giving you troubles.” He was beginning to think that this bold move was stupid. How could she remember him with everything else going on in her life?
         “Oh yes of course I remember you,” she said. “I haven’t had any more trouble with that colt since.”
         “I am very happy to, to hear that princess.”
         “You must be joining my father tonight other wise why would you be here?”
         “He invited my uncle and I cause he, he is very pleased with the, the lame horses we shoed, apparently they are, are healing well.”
         “Princess Elisa, you look amazing tonight.”
         A man came up to her and took her hand and kissed it. He almost came to Jakes height of six foot two. His jet black hair all slicked back with lots of hair grease. His brown eyes gave Jake a fleeting look of disgust. Jake caught it and so did Elisa.
         Elisa trying to regain her smile introduced Jake. “This is Prince Derek, and I’m sorry what is your name sir?” she questioned.
         “Jake.”
         “Yes, Jake, he is here and his uncle, they have been invited to our party. My father is very happy with their shoeing work on two of our lame horses.” Elisa said turning to Derek.
         “That’s very noble of you to do a fine job on King Eons horses, now my dear lets join our guests at the table before they wonder where the guests of honor are.” Derek offered her his arm with a warning look, she took it reluctantly. Jake stood there watching them go. Elisa looked back at him for the longest moment before they were out of sight.
         What was that warning look he gave her? Maybe the rumors about Derek’s person were true. Jake shrugged his shoulders. At least Elisa remembered who he was now. That was more important to him then Derek’s brush off.
         Jake walked to the long rows of tables set up for the guests. He found Leif and joined him. There was a sparkling glass of apple cider sitting in his spot. The gold lacy table cloth hung down almost to the floor.
         “I thought you might be thirsty.”
         “I am, very, thank you uncle.” Jake said taking the glass and downing half of it. At least it cooled his burning insides.
         The rest of the evening went well. King Eon introduced the plans about Elisa and Derek’s up coming court ship and how the kingdom will one day have a new king and queen. Prince Derek’s parents were sitting on the right of Elisa’s parents, with Derek and Elisa on their left. It was the first time Jake had ever seen King Gerald and Queen Abigail. Derek looked just like his father, tall, dark and handsome but his father didn’t have that ruthless look. Jake could see it more in Abigail he thought. Elisa looked low spirited as he watched her from his seat. It was behind the smile she wore. Derek was putting on all his charm and impressing the guests. It was so fake, Jake wanted to vomit. Now he really had a reason not to like Derek.
         Dinner was grand with roast pork, mashed potatoes and candied carrots. Dessert was strawberry chiffon which Jake didn’t care for. After dinner, everybody was escorted out to the back yard of the castle. Under the moon light, Lake Vala shimmered. Lanterns hung on tall stakes. The garden area had huge vines that clung on the castle walls and over trellises. Fragrant flowers of all sorts were showing their colors along the walk. As he walked out from the garden, he could see two huge fountains. They flowed down a wooden trough covered in vines with small white flowers out to the lake. Truly a magical place Jake thought.
         The King clapped his hands and the music guild began to play. It wasn’t long and there were ladies and gentlemen dancing around. Uncle Leif was right in the middle of it. He loved to dance with the ladies. Jake wondered why he never got married. It wasn’t that the ladies didn’t like him, Uncle Leif just never bothered.
         Jake wasn’t in the mood to dance so he stood back under the leafy trees and watched.
         “Sir Jake.” 
         Turning around, there stood Elisa smiling at him.
         Jake was going to bow but she stopped him.
         “No need for that.” she said, clamping her hands together. “How was your dinner?”
         “It was, was good, to be honest with, with you, I didn’t care for the desert but strawberries aren’t my favorite thing to, to eat.”
         Elisa laughed and rocked back and forth on her heels. “I love strawberries.’
         “I’m glad you, you do.” he said back.
         “Don’t you dance?” she asked looking out toward the people whirling around on the grass.
         “I do, but I, I haven’t gotten out there yet.” He felt like he was only telling half the truth.
         “May I have this dance sir Jake?”
         He didn’t know what to think of the request but he wasn’t going to turn it down.
         That was the greatest night of his life. For the next hour, they danced until they were out of breath. The music never stopped and neither did they.
Finally she said she had to go. He regretted seeing her leave.
         “Thank you for honoring me with the dance princess.”
         “Please call me Lessa, Sir Jake.” Then she gave him a wink and headed back into the castle. Jake stood there opened mouthed. She did catch it.
         Elisa was almost thru the door when a hand reached out and grabbed her, jerking her into the trees and bushes that ran along side the castle. Jake figuring she was in trouble ran to her aid.
         A voice made him stop short.
         “How dare you go and dance with another, you are to stay with me.” It was Derek’s voice, and it sounded angry.
         “I am not your property to do what ever you wish with,” Elisa’s bitter words stated back. “Let go of me.”
         “I’m not letting go of you, you are betrothed to me, start acting like it or the kingdom will be wondering about you.”
         Elisa jerked her arm again but Derek had a steel grip on her.
         “Don’t be running away from me.” Derek pulled her closer and crushed her lips with his.
         “You better let, let her go,” Jake calmly said has he stepped inside the trees where Elisa was fighting to get away.
         Prince Derek let go of Elisa and pushed her aside.
         “Or what you retarded fool?” Derek spat back.
         Jake bit his lip and stared him right in the eye. “That is no way to treat a princess.”
         Elisa was standing behind Derek shaking her head no. She wanted Jake to step down. Jake backed off a couple feet and sighed.
         “Why don’t you go back where you came from? Freak.”
         “Lessa do, do you want to, to leave?” Jake asked not taking his eye off Derek. “Yes, goodnight Derek,” she said coming around him. Jake followed right behind her out of the trees. Elisa turned her head and gave Jake a sentiment look.
         “Goodnight Lessa, you be, be careful now.”
         She shook her head and stood up straight. Gathering her skirt she walked into the castle.
         He figured he had better get to finding his uncle. He hadn’t seen him for awhile. He walked thru the postern gate and into the back door of the Great Hall. He retrieved his cloak from the guardsman, but Leif’s wasn’t there. Thinking his uncle would be out in the court yard he headed for it. Jake was starting down the stone steps when a hand came out from one of the pillars and punched him in the face, knocking him down on the steps.
         “Don’t ever interrupt in my affairs again, cause next time it won’t be a punch in the face.”
         Jake looked up to see Prince Derek standing above him. The cheap shot stinging his cheek.
         “You know Derek.” came a familiar voice behind him. “I seen that and how would your father feel about you hitting a kinsman, not even out of self defense when your going to be king one day?”
         Derek spun around to see Leif standing there with a glare that could stare a grizzly bear down. Leif was at his full height and his hands out from his sides.
         Derek backed off, gave Jake a warning look before turning around and running into the Great Hall.
         Leif walked over and gave Jake a hand up. A look of concern crossed his face. Jake wiped the blood from his brow where Derek’s ring caused a cut.
         “What caused that?” Leif asked Jake.
         “I believe it, it was because Princes Lessa and I danced together tonight, he, he didn’t like it and decided to, to get back at me.”
         “You danced with the princess?”
         Jake gave him a funny look and shook his head yes.
         “Wish I could have been there to see that.” Leif gave Jake a slap on the back making Jake reach out to catch himself on a pillar.
         “Where were you anyway uncle?”
         “Just taking care of some business with the king.”
         They got their horses from the stables and headed home. Jake had to tell his uncle about the dance. He didn’t tell him everything that happened, only enough to keep his curiosity down. Dancing with Elisa was worth every bit of harassment he got tonight. He felt a feeling for her that he had never felt before, starting from the day with that colt. He wanted to win her heart in a way. He knew that was pointless, he wouldn’t be able to get near her again. 
         

         Jake was home out in the barn heating up iron to make horseshoes for Griffin one evening. He had worn the last ones down to nothing and it was time for new ones. It had been three weeks since the party and Elisa was on his mind yet again.
         “Hello, anyone in here?” It was a girl’s voice. Now why would a girl be coming out to the barn? He wondered. Jake walked down the stable hall and turned the corner to see who it was. Holding on to a buckskin horse, a young woman stood there in pants and a coat. She had a big hat on her head that covered most her face.
         “Can I, I help you?” Jake asked.
         “I need shoes for my horse and heard that you and your Uncle Leif were the best in the valley. She turned her eyes up to him and winked. Instantly Jake recognized her. He grabbed her hand and led her into the barn.
         “Lessa, I, I mean princess, what are you doing here?” He was so surprised to see her; he didn’t know what to call her.
         Elisa laughed. “I came to see you.”
         “How did you know where I live?”
         “I got a hold of my father’s guest book from the party and found your uncles address. I figured it was a good place to start.”
         “Why, why did you come to, to see me?” The puzzlement on his face very noticeable, he couldn’t believe she was standing there right in front of him.
         “I,,,” her voice trailed off. She looked into his handsome face, down his lean body. She just knew that good sturdy hard working muscles lay beneath the shirt and leather apron he wore. “I thought maybe we could be friends.” she finished meeting his gaze again.
         Jake gave her a smile. He would love to be her friend.          
         
© Copyright 2011 xjgirl3 (xjgirl3 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1815347-My-Princess-Bride