*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1816176-Writing-Prompt-Memories
by Jezzcm
Rated: 13+ · Other · Thriller/Suspense · #1816176
Answering another writing prompt: memory
Memories are a major force in our lives; we are our memories. Have your character make a journal entry about a particularly vivid memory she/he has. Make it as real and vivid for the reader.

[Probably going to be added to "Thorns"]

Physician: Dr. Steven Johansson.

Patient: Arike Daniels.

Admitted June 2008.

Basic diagnosis: Extreme emotional distress, possible suicidal tendencies. Note: Keep on 24 hour suicide watch.

The following is an excerpt from patient Daniels’ therapy session July 25, 2008. Transcribed by RN Jane Hendricks.

Patient A. Daniels: “We all packed into the car for some random trip, I can’t remember to where, I do know that it was a Sunday. It was early, well…before noon, for any teenager that is early. I remember it was hot, the leather of the backseat burned my neck and arms. My little sister was sitting in the middle of the backseat, right next to me, she loved to lay on me, usually I was okay with it. But, it was hot and I was upset, so I pushed her away. She fussed at me and then scooted over to the seat next to the right window. My head was splitting, I hadn’t slept well the night before, the fight had kept me up, I ended crying myself to sleep. I really didn’t want to go out with them today, I knew my parents were still pissed at me and the idea of spending time trapped in a car with them with no possible escape scared me. I knew I should keep my mouth shut, I was sure they didn’t want to hear anything I had to say. After half an hour of silence, my father was speeding down Lake Shore drive, I was watching him in the rear view mirror, trying to find out if he was still pissed. And then he turned and it began all over again. It is still fuzzy…”

Physician S. Johansson: “It will take time to remember it in detail. Just go on and describe what you can”

Patient A. Daniels: “I started yelling back at him. My mother joined in and started yelling. My little sister turned up her music and hid as much as she could against the door. My head wouldn’t stop hurting, I couldn’t deal with it anymore. I told them to shut up and we could talk about it later. My father told my I had no right to speak to him like that. I cursed at him, my mother yelled at me, my father turned to yell at me and then…

Physician S. Johansson:  “Take a breath. Take your time. Continue when you can.”

Patient A. Daniels: “No, I’m fine! Just…(deep breathing)…then something slammed into the car on my father’s side or my mother’s I …can’t remember. I can only remember  flashes after that. My sister screaming. I tried to reach over to hold her but I couldn’t move. My father didn’t make a sound. My mother shouted only once. I smelled smoke. Something grabbed me. I was on the ground. I tried to get back to my sister. I couldn’t just leave her there. I couldn’t hear her anymore. I heard screaming, such horrible screaming. My body hurt, my head hurt worse than ever. Something was wet on my face. When I woke up I was in the hospital and in restraints. No one would tell me why.”

Physician S. Johansson: “It says in your file that you tried to fight the doctor. You were very violent, screaming at them about releasing you. Then they administered a tranquilizer.”

Patient A Daniels: “I didn’t do that! I don’t remember…”
© Copyright 2011 Jezzcm (vampjezzc at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1816176-Writing-Prompt-Memories