*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817762-And-its-Called-My-Other-Half
Rated: E · Article · Experience · #1817762
A critique of the trending relationships in Egypt
And it’s Called My Other “Half”

It's been the mating season this summer. Friends and family getting engaged or married. No big deal, I know. It is something that I have noticed recently with all my female friends getting recently engaged or those who got themselves in relationships. Whenever they find their other so-called significant "half", I feel that my friends are totally transformed.

It is not a single case. Hell no! It is the new plague or something like that spreading in no time among infatuated girls and only girls. Men are different. They do not get so absorbed in their relationships. To some extent, they keep on their individuality. Maybe it has to do with their own view of a relationship. I believe that men are not like women who think that finding the one is so important to the extent that most girls nowadays think of marriage, for example as a life or death situation that has to happen sooner or later. Men are not raised like that, especially in my society. I envy men in here. They are programmed to live first of all for themselves. They get their education, start their career and accomplish loads of successes, then comes marriage and commitment. "Here is a nice girl, am I ready?'a guy would ask himself. But when it comes to girls, it is the other way around. A normal woman would say whenever she meets a guy, "I am ready. Is he a nice guy?"

See? Here is the whole issue. We, women, are always ready and hanging "I am on the market" sign. Maybe it has to do with our nature as females needing passion and care, but it definitively has to do with the way many of us are brought up. How many parents raised a girl to live for herself first? How many times have you heard a girl saying "I will finish school then travel abroad to finish my studies," without mentioning the soul mate to-be as one of her top priorities. We are not used to loving ourselves. It is a shame, right?

You may disagree with me and it is your right. But what I see now of women losing their identities and becoming a distorted versions of their past souls and their current partners' mindsets, is very sad. I wish that one day, I would meet a friend of mine who has been in a relationship and who would still be the girl I knew a while ago. i wish that one day when I log into Facebook, I would see girls posting stuff that would speak for them not posts that their fiancees, husbands and boyfriends. I wish we, women, could learn for once how to love ourselves and learn that it's okay for once to keep our "resigning" individuality.


© Copyright 2011 Noha H. Rahhal (noha21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1817762-And-its-Called-My-Other-Half