*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1818049-Wire-and-Letters
by Andrew
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Sci-fi · #1818049
dramatic Sci-fi short story; feedback greatly appreciated!!
         I believe the problem with humans is their militant need to differentiate. People, places, objects—they wish to believe solely in the individual as disconnected entities.
         This man in front of me is no exception. He is giving me the same spiel all humans give me about how he has been wronged, and how  he requires justice. His story is one of a great many I have heard in my lifetime, the particulars of which I quickly forget. „So then, you would like me to kill this ‚Klaus’, is that it?“ I asked the man. His sullen eyes fell to mine, and he paused for a moment. It would seem that he wasn’t done with his speech. He nodded slowly, another strange human practice.
         „I—I can pay you,“ he said, his voice quivering. „10,000 Credits, paid in full,“ His confidence began to rise.
         „I should hope so“ I said, and he shrunk back into his chair. I stuck my hand out towards him and he shook it weakly, though still enough to solidify our contract.
         That evening I decided to walk back tot he dwelling. The air was warm still, and my steps fell silent and effortless on the cobbled back roads I traveled. I thought for awhile about how to execute the hit. According to the information I received, Klaus vom Rogenbogen was a successful political figure in the human sector of Inquinati. The dwelling he lived in was likely to be on the Northwest of the island, where most of the wealthy humans lived. It probably wasn’t going to be a difficult contract, as it seems every human on Inquinati frequented Sol, an Earth-themed tavern.
         Before I knew it, I made it to the dwelling. The dwelling i lived in was a modest one; it housed both my son and I comfortably. We didn’t speak very much that evening; Erdnuss seemed strangely distant, though i didn’t bother to remark on this. We ate dinner together, then headed off to the bedrooms for the night cycle.
         I did not sleep soundly that night.

* * *          

         My son is unaware of my profession, and he believes that I travel frequently because I am a salesman. My nightmares were of Erdnuss learning of my profession. The horror upon his face was unbearable to watch, but I could not look away. The dream then faded into another locale. I was standing on the edge of a great darkness. There was a patch of soil in front of me—my son’s grave. The anguish was indescribable; I fell to the ground, praying to join him. Then, the darkness closed in on me, slowly eating at the patch of dirt until I was consumed by it.

* * *

         The next morning I woke up, cold.
         It took me a few moments to get out of bed, and the dream was still vivid in my mind when I first set foot on the ground. Another chill passed through my body.  I walked into the dining area and fixed myself a morning meal. While I ate, I spread out maps of the northern half of the continent. I took some time planning my route up to Sol, so as not to be seen or expected by anyone. I decided to take the Zephyr rail route to the Northwest sector, going by ‚Zug’—some human invention. That would take me into the heart of the humans’ sector. From there, I would go to Sol on foot; a three day hike at least.
         As I finished my meal, I noticed that it was about time Erdnuss was getting up. I quickly put away my maps and began packing for my trip. When Erdnuss walked into the dining room, he acknowledged me by asking where I was headed. I told him I was headed northwest to do some business with humans. He looked at me blankly for a moment, but made no further comment.
         The rest of the morning was spent mostly in solitude. Erdnuss and I did not speak further, and we mostly kept out of each others ways. I finished packing my things, then headed out for the Zug station.
         The ride on the Zug was surprisingly short. The vehicle whipped down the rails with deafening speed. The Zug made it to the human quarter by the evening. Food and drink was served at 3-hour intervals, but most of it was human food. I ate some, but tried my best to avoid it.
         
         The Human quarter of Inquinati is a sprawling metropolis, over 1,000 miles square. In it live every imaginable walks of human life. Interspersed between the tremendous, sky-scraping buildings are great pastures of farmland with provide a strange though stark contrast. The central Zugstation of the human quarter is actually not very central at all. It is located to the northeast of the quarter, close to the coast. Much closer to Sol. The route I’m to take will bring me through an area which used to be part of the great Rheinwald (a forest, as humans call it). Now, however, it is one of the least densely populous areas of the city, with a few gargantuan estates inhabited by some extremely wealthy humans. Outside the estates, there are large pieces of farmland which will ensure I am at least mostly unseen.
         Time to go.
         
* * *

         My journey’s first leg was an uneventful trudge. I did not see any humans on the way, which served as good peace of mind. I did not set up much of a camp that night, as I felt that it was unneeded. Camps would only draw superfluous attention. I spent the night-cycle in the tall grass outside of a human church. I ate very little that evening, figuring that the next day would bring more challenging terrain, and I would need the food more then.
         To my elation, I was incorrect.. The next day’s trek was just as uneventful as the first. The terrain I expected to be difficult was easily bypassed. I saw a few humans that day, but none of them worried me. The detours I took served me very well. I was able to travel about three hours further to the north than I had previously expected. That night-cycle I camped on a crescent-shaped landing on a grassy hill. I still ate my extra provisions, though, not wanting to be wasteful.
         The last day of my trip was pleasantly short. I was quickly back into the coastal metropolis of the human quarter. It took only a few hours to get within visual range of Sol. Near Sol, there stands a multi-storied tourist trap. That was to be my base of operations. I walked into the building and found myself a secluded corner and took my briefcase out of my pack. Klaus looks about the same as all humans in the human quarter do. He was fair-skinned, round faced, and rather rotund. He was very likely to be a clever man, as he made his living as Ministerpräsident of the coastal region. As Ministerpräsident, he worked very closely with human parliament, and had a hearty portion of political power. Klaus was a regular at Sol, which was likely because he never had to pay for drinks, powerful as he was. My sources indicated that he would be there just before dusk. I still had a number of hours before then. I sat in meditation, preparing mentally for the ending of another life.
         Minutes trickled away quickly, followed by hours.
         When I opened my eyes again, I could hear the sounds of dusk approaching. I stood up slowly and began to walk back outside. My presence in the shop did not seem to be noted by anyone. As I walked outside, I could see the monolithic structure before me which had the letters SOL engraved on its maw. My destination. At this point, a sense of determination came over me, and as I walked closer and closer, my confidence also grew. I began thumbing the fibre-wire in my jacket pocket.
         Sol, although a human bar, was mostly Cretian employees. I was wearing the standard attire for Sol employees, and easily gained entrance to the structure. Humans have a tough time recognizing Cretians by looks alone. I looked around the entryway for Klaus, but didn't see him in the immediate vicinity. Damn, I had hoped (though probably naively) it would be that simple. I walked to the end of the entry hall and turned around as if I were a greater of some sort.
         To my great surprise, Klaus, the man in question, appeared on the other side of the door. And he was alone. I brightened my face and shifted towards him „Good afternoon, Ministerpräsident. Right this way, please,“ I said. He looked at me for a few moments too many. He called my bluff, I believed. But then he nodded and began to walk closer to me. I turned around and walked further into Sol, looking for an unoccupied room. There didn't look to be any available, but there was one which only had two humans sitting across from one another.
         Bingo.
         I headed straight for it, keeping a leisurely pace so as to let Klaus keep up comfortably. In the room, there was a man and a woman sitting, drinking from great maßes. „Pardon the intrusion,“ I said „But unfortunately we must ask that you vacate the room,“ I tried my best to sound diplomatic. The couple, though they looked sour, stood up and walked out.
         „Assholes,“ the man said as he brushed past the Ministerpräsident and I.
         „Please, feel free to take a seat,“ I said. The Ministerpräsident made a strange grunt and went to sit.
         „Yes, I would like a vodka stratocaster. Easy on the onion,“Klaus barked in an annoyingly dominant tone.
         „Of course, sir,“ I said, and strolled out the door. I went to the restroom and produced a small glass from a jacket pocket and filled it with water. Convincing enough, I figured, and started back towards the Ministerpräsident's room.
         When I opened the door, Klaus didn't stir. I walked up behind him, set the glass quietly on the floor, and readied the fibre wire. Just as the slightest sound escaped his lips, the wire closed in around his neck. I increased the pressure until I saw a crimson streak of blood cascade down onto his chest. He stopped struggling, and I felt the life drain from him. „D'hoine, yu tekkem laef blong er,“ I whispered in his ear, then closed his eyes. I looked down at my hands and closed my eyes, taking a long, thoughtful breath.
         I heard a stir. My attention immediately shifted and my eyes snapped open.
         Everything around me fell apart. Only darkness surrounded me. Darkness, and the unmistakeable silhouette of Erdnuss before me. My mouth opened, but words failed me. The feeling was worse than in my nightmares. Worse than I could ever imagine. But he—Erdnuss looked not horrified, but somehow eager. „Father,“ he started.
         I  still could not make words. I closed my eyes again, hoping—praying this was not reality. Erdnuss crossed his arms and crouched over the corpse. He examined his face and neck, careful not to let the blood stain his skin. „I knew it,“ he said.
         „Wh--“
         „You aren't a salesman, Färbe,“ My whole being seemed to sink. I was no longer his father. I was merely Färbe. „I,“ He paused thoughtfully. „I want to do this. I want to do what you do,“ More than anything, I think this caught me off-guard. Words were closer to me, but all I could do was shake my head.
         „N—No. You mustn't,“ I muttered.
         „Actually, I think I will“ He responded. „I've already received offers, yaknow,“ I wanted, more than anything, to know more details. But I could not ask for them, nor could I likely bear to hear them.
         „We... We should speak further at... At the dwelling,“ I fumbled through the words. I could not think of anything else to say. The dwelling seemed so far away now. I lowered my head solemnly and walked out of the room.
         I fasted on the return journey. I could not think clearly. My grief overcame me. I kept replaying the events over and over in my mind. It was fucked. All of it. I didn't even know if Erdnuss would return.

* * *

         Setting foot back in the dwelling again was empty. Nothing was stirring, and it was clear that nobody had been around for a few days now. Erdnuss had not returned yet. I fixed myself a modest meal, and sat at the table to wait for my son. I waited for a long time, Hours. Days. A week passed by. I hardly moved during that time, only getting up for one daily meal and to relieve myself.
         After the first week, I began to worry profusely. I started asking around the community, seeing if he had been in the are. He hadn't. Soon, he was officially missing. I was delirious with a combination of grief and fear. After another week, I began to feel numb. A chill overcame me which I could not relieve.
         A Month passed, with still no word. I could no longer feel anything anymore. It is difficult to describe how terrible the absence of feeling is. It's unrelenting and savage, but horribly presentable. I felt as if I was losing my mind.
         And then that day came. I was sitting at the table as usual, when I heard a knock at the door. When I opened the door, there stood another Cretian, dressed in a black suit with a gray tie. He said nothing, and handed me a letter. I took it and closed the door. Walking back to the table, an ominous draft went through the building.
         I sit at the table and unfold the letter. I stop at 'we regret to inform you' and put my hand over the rest, as if the words will go away if I do. I stand up on my chair and fit the fibre-wire around my neck. It feels cold and sharp. Then, with great deliberation, I kick the chair out from under me
         I can see my son.
© Copyright 2011 Andrew (hedgy at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1818049-Wire-and-Letters