*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1818756-NaNo-Prep-2011-Day-16---CONTEST-ROUND
Rated: E · Other · Other · #1818756
Description of setting #2, a ballroom
CONTEST ROUND: Describe Setting #2 (with words.) Use all five senses, and make your reader experience the setting as if he or she were there.

 
IMAGE
NaNo Prep 2011 Day 15 - setting #2  (ASR)
The ballroom at Castle Bellonia
#1818759 by Merry Mumsy


The setting of the climactic scene in Prince Alexandra’s story is the grand ballroom of Bellonia Castle.  It measures approximately one hundred feet in length by seventy feet in width.  Please note that the accompanying drawing is not to scale, nor is it viewable as from a single vantage point.  That is beyond the capabilities of this author.

Two carved marble pillars flank the entrance to the ballroom, stretching up to the twenty five foot high ceiling, which is not visible in the drawing.  In addition, five marble pillars line the length of the ballroom on either side.  These pillars also support a balcony from which guests may choose view the ball.  Each pillar is adorned with garlands, the ones along the length of the ballroom alternating between red and yellow flowers, while those at the entrance to the ballroom are both wrapped with garlands of yellow.  The floral scent of the garlands throughout the room creates a natural perfume that permeates the ballroom from end to end.  A guest leaning on the pillars will find them cool to the touch, perhaps quite welcome after a rousing dance.  The flower petals are soft, and no doubt more than one will be plucked, to be placed within the ornately dressed hair of one of the ladies.

A massive chandelier hangs from the high ceiling by iron chains, the chandelier itself made of hundreds of brass oil lamps, each one lit and flickering with golden light.  The lamps on the outer edge of the chandelier are all made to look like taper candles, though those in the tiered center are more traditional round oil receptacles.  The scent of burning oil hovers in the air, but is overpowered by the sweet smell of the flower garlands.

The floor of the ballroom itself is dark wood, polished to a deep shine with a beeswax polish emitting a faint odor of honey that will waft upward as the slightly sleek and glossy polish allows the dancers spin gracefully across the dance floor.

At the far end of the ballroom sits a wooden dais, with four white softly cushioned chairs bordered with brassy metal.  To the front of the four chairs sits a grand harpsichord with a bench, waiting for the musicians to arrive and take their places.  In a few hours, the ballroom will be filled with the lyrical notes of harpsichord, violin, cello, flute and trombone. 

Along the right side of the ballroom, large plants in blue ceramic pots sit between each of the pillars, the greenery giving off a scent slightly redolent of pine.  Similar pots, each with three smaller yet equally fragrant versions of the shrub, sit to the sides of the dais, three on each side. 

Lining the room just in front of the festooned pillars alternating with potted shrubbery, dozens chairs similar in size and style to those found on the musical dais await guests in need of a break from dancing.

Along the opposite wall, between the first two pillars,a window opens to the evening, its white lace curtains billowing in the gentle summer breeze, and letting in scents of freshly shorn grass and recently dampened earth.  Guests standing beside the window will feel the breeze flutter across their skin.  Between the last two pillars, a painted white door with a glazed window awaits those guests who would like to step out onto the balcony beyond the ballroom for more fresh air and cooling breezes. 

In front of these pillars, two long tables adorned with white lace tablecloths have been set with refreshments for the soon-to-be-arriving guests.  On the left table sits a chilled silver bowl of red punch, fizzing slightly so as to hint at the champagne that has been mixed into the fruity beverage.  To each side of the punch bowl, filled cups await partygoers who might be thirsty upon arrival.  Stepping close to the punch table, one can almost taste the flavors of raspberry, citrus and champagne.

To the right of the punch table sits a table equal in size to the first.  Upon this table rests a cake of three tiers, each frosted with yellow and festooned with edible red marzipan flowers.  The pound cake within is buttery and dense, layered with rich chocolate cream.  The marzipan flowers are surprisingly sweet, with delicate almond undertones.  To the left of the birthday cake sits a silver tray of lovely blue petit fours.  The cake inside is a delightful strawberry surprise.  To the right of the cake sits a similar tray, this one laden with the rich, crisp chocolate biscuits favored by one of the birthday girls to be celebrated this evening. 

At the moment, the scene is quite silent, though the echo of the footsteps of servants rushing around nearby occasionally bounces through the cavernous empty ballroom.  As carriages begin to arrive, the sound of wooden wheels on gravel can be heard faintly through the open window, and the excited chatter begins to fill the hallways outside of the ballroom.  At any moment, the musicians will take their places, the doors beyond the ballroom will open, and the guests of honor will be swept in, waiting for each guest in turn to be announced before being greeted by the three sixteen year olds who will be celebrated this evening.
© Copyright 2011 Merry Mumsy (amygdalia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1818756-NaNo-Prep-2011-Day-16---CONTEST-ROUND