*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819744-The-Agent
Rated: E · Script/Play · Drama · #1819744
The first 10 pages of a draft screenplay about a reluctant agent . (My first attempt).
The Agent

By James Duncan



FADE IN:



1. INT. SUPERINTENDENT’S OFFICE – MORNING

Richard Lombardi (37), slightly overweight, sits and waits in the superintendent’s office. He sits opposite where the superintendent should be, but isn’t. There’s a nice looking doughnut at the superintendent’s side of the desk. Rick looks tempted by it. SUPERINTENDENT KEITH DUFF (55), tall and skinny, WALKS IN, he is holding a cup of coffee.



DUFF

I apologise for my lateness.



Rick nods his head and shrugs. Duff takes his seat and pushes the doughnut to one side.



DUFF

So...



Duff fiddles around with papers on his desk. He notices Rick looking at the doughnut.



DUFF

(Pointing at the doughnut)

You want this?



Rick shakes his head and gestures with his hand to signal that he appreciates the offer but doesn’t want the doughnut. However, he probably does, but is too polite on this occasion to take it.







DUFF

You sure?



Rick smiles and nods.



DUFF

So then Rick...any pre-match nerves? So to speak.



Duff chuckles at his own analogical play on words.

Pause.   





RICK

I’m nothing but nerves.



Duff nods and looks sympathetic.



DUFF

Well, that’s normal.



Pause.

DUFF (cont’d)

It’s a big thing, what you’re about to do.





Pause.







DUFF (cont’d)

And you know, that in the eyes of all of us...and I mean all of us, you are incredibly brave. There isn’t a single man or woman out there (points towards the door), who isn’t 100% behind you on this.



Rick nods but doesn’t look convinced (or bothered).



DUFF

You think with all the work...all the surveillance that we’ve been doing for 2 years now, that people would agree that you are the man for the job if they didn’t truly believe it?



Rick nods.



RICK

Yes. I do. I do think that.



DUFF

Well, you’re wrong.



Pause. Duff stares at Rick while taking another sip of coffee.





RICK

Keith...I appreciate what you’re doing, but c’mon. I, don’t even think I‘m the man for this job.







DUFF

Well, that’s a worrying attitude..... And, I disagree with you.



Rick shakes his head.

Duff takes yet another sip of coffee.

Pause.





DUFF

(Changing subject)

How is err...Judy?



RICK

Julie.



Duff nods as though he just remembered.



RICK

She is OK, I guess.



Pause.



RICK

We...erm, actually find out if she gets a job today.







DUFF

Oh okay, what profession is she in? I forget.



RICK

Teaching. She’s a teacher.



DUFF

Ahh yes...



Duff nods and smiles, again, as though he remembered.



RICK

It’s quite big actually. I mean, it’s a position she’s wanted for a few years now. It’s at a private school.



DUFF

Private school equals more money, one would presume?





Duff Smiles at the thought of money.





RICK

Yeah. But for her it’s more about the teaching. She loves it.







DUFF

Well that’s good. Some people, like us and Julie....    incredibly lucky when it comes to finding a profession we enjoy. Especially in today’s world.



Rick smiles awkwardly and gives a small nod.

Pause.

DUFF

(Back to original conversation)

So this whole thing Rick... you’ll be fine. We absolutely have confidence in you.



Pause.



DUFF (cont’d)

We should have done something sooner really but err....



Pause.

DUFF (cont’d)

...the people before us had a laissez faire attitude when it came to crime on this scale.



RICK

Hmmm.



Pause.

Duff looks at his watch and then at the clock in his office.





DUFF

(Looking at his watch)

In terms of timing Rick, we may have to come back a little later to discuss details. Something occurred earlier and I actually have a meeting scheduled in 10 minutes. Inconvenient for you I’m sure but...

RICK

Okay. Whatever, I don’t mind.

Rick looks at his watch.

DUFF

I’m all over the place this morning with timing so I do apologise but err....



RICK

What time do you want me back?



Duff looks at his watch again and then at some papers on his desk.



DUFF

About 45 minutes?



RICK

Okay. I’ve got something planned anyway. So I’ll see ya then.





Rick gets out of his chair. Duff is writing on some of his papers with one hand and biting into the doughnut with the other.





DUFF

(With mouthful of doughnut)

Great. By the way if you see Mike when you’re out there, just tell him I’ll be a bit late. Just say something important came up.



Rick nods and walks out the door.



2. EXT. McDonalds car park - DAY

Rick pulls into the car park and parks his car. The car park is deserted, probably due to the early time of day.



3. INT. RICK’S CAR- DAY

Rick turns the radio off and checks his mobile phone for messages before getting out the car and shutting the door behind him.



4. INT. MCDONALDS RESTAURANT- DAY

Rick walks in an empty McDonalds checking his watch as he gets closer to the counter.

MCDONALDS WORKER

Hi sir would you like to order?



RICK

Yeah erm, just a cheeseburger, no fries. Too early for fries.











CUT TO:

Rick is sitting on his own in the corner of the empty McDonalds. It’s quite a depressing site. He checks his watch. The McDonalds worker that served him is now sweeping the floor nearby. They gain eye contact for a few seconds. The worker looks at Rick sympathetically making the situation more depressing. As Rick walks to the bin to discard his burger wrapper, he leaves a trail of muddy footprints on the floor where the McDonalds worker is sweeping. Rick sees the worker look behind him at the muddy trail and turns to see the footprints.

RICK

Oh, I’m sorry.

Pause.

RICK (cont’d)

(pointing outside)

It’s raining.



The worker doesn’t say anything and continues to sweep. Rick puts the wrapper in the bin.





5. INT. RICK’S CAR- DAY

Rick gets in the car and starts it up. He looks in his wing mirror at another man who is just going into McDonalds. Ricks phone rings with a distinctive ring tone. Rick smiles before answering the phone, obviously pleased that this person is calling him.



RICK

Hey man, what’s up?







6. INT. FBI MEETING ROOM- DAY

KEITH DUFF walks into a room of 5 other people. These people are assistant supervisors to Keith Duff. There is quiet chatter amongst them while Duff takes his seat at the end of the table.



DUFF

We have 30 minutes, so any concerns, questions; queries should be got through as quick as possible. Okay?



The supervisors look at one another for a few seconds. Duff gestures to them to break the silence. TOM CAMERON, 40, speaks out.

Cameron sighs.



CAMERON

Well....It’s Rick.



Substantial Pause.

DUFF looks around to see if anyone wants to continue. Nobody does.

Duff sips his coffee.
© Copyright 2011 J.Duncan (j.duncan11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1819744-The-Agent