*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821368-On-the-Lam
Rated: E · Short Story · Comedy · #1821368
They've broken out of their confinement, but where will the go now?
They weren’t lost, but they were new to this situation. Lorraine and Phil just smuggled their way out of the cemetery. Lorraine was fearful of the next step.

“Seriously?” No freaking way am I going to do that.” Lorraine had gotten into the habit of letting age define her. It was difficult to sweep practicality aside.

“We should at least give it try. Didn’t you just tell me you were tired of being cooped up? I say we have to do it.”

Phil watched as Lorraine tapped her foot. “Who died and made you boss? And anyway I hardly know you.”

“I’m not being bossy. I’m just saying…nobody has the dirt on us now.”

Lorraine thought about it a moment. She really didn’t want to go back through the cemetery. “Fine, but what if someone sees us?”

“And, what if they don’t? Regardless if anyone sees us or not, I’m sure we can get away.”

That’s what Lorraine liked about Phil. He had total confidence and a charm that was hard to resist. It was easy for him to let go of his past and look for new opportunities.

They stood in front of a deserted house. “The sign says ‘No Trespassing’ – Violators will be prosecuted.” Apprehension seeped back into Lorraine. She had always lived life according to the law. “I’m not even sure I like this place.”

“Think about it. Who’s going to press charges against us? Ghostbusters?”

Lorraine giggled. “I know, but I just can’t wrap my head around this. I’ve never been a squatter. What if it’s already occupied?”

“Then we find another place.”

“Okay…but how do we get in?”

“Like this.” She watched Phil fade through the door. “Your turn.”

“You’re such a ghost,” said Lorraine. And then she disappeared inside.

Word Count: 298


© Copyright 2011 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1821368-On-the-Lam