*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824751-Living-the-Life
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Relationship · #1824751
A couple decide to stay where they are.
They sat on the beach in shorts and rubber flip-flops. Cara wore a yellow bikini top. Her slender tanned hands worked sunscreen into her husband’s back. When she was done Tim rolled up his t-shirt to use as a pillow for his head and lay back on the towel used earlier after his shower at the truck stop. Cara did the same.

“What if we return to the Midwest? We might have a better chance of finding jobs there,” said Tim. He was becoming more anxious as their savings dwindled since losing his job six months ago. It was longer for Cara.

“I’ve thought about that, but we decided when we came here this would be our permanent home.”

“True, but we’re homeless, Cara.”

“I suppose mom would let us stay in the basement. The cold gray basement that smells of cat urine.” She loved the warmth of the sun and the regular sunny days in California. They both disliked the windy cold and snow of Illinois. “It’ll be winter soon.”

Tim understood what she meant. Freezing cold and standing at the train station bundled in layers of wool over thermal underwear, praying for the train to be on-time. Who knows how long it would take to find a job. And Cara’s mother … “No thanks. I’d rather we live in the van for awhile longer.”

Cara knew he’d see the light. The smell of the ocean soothed her. She positively would not leave. We’re not going anywhere in this weather.

Some of the regulars joined them with coolers filled with cheap beer and wine. Later, they would set up some grills and cook up simple meals. Frisbees, volley balls, and a refreshing swim in the water kept them happy.

Tomorrow was another day and it would be warm.


Word Count: 300



© Copyright 2011 Endless Enigma (charmed1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824751-Living-the-Life