*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824845-Dead-End---Chapter-1
Rated: 13+ · Novel · Other · #1824845
.Chapter 1.
         “RING! …  RING!” The small red alarm clock screams. “RING!!!!!”  As if that wasn't annoying enough, a ray of sunshine slips through the crack of the curtains, blinding me. Normally the warm feeling of the sun hitting you is supposed to feel great, relaxing even. However, this ray is painful. It wants me to wake up. It feels almost suffocating, as it lingers on my face. Using all of my will and then some, I manage to lug myself out of bed. How long was I asleep? Twelve hours maybe? Is that why I am so stiff? Taking a long stretch I pop several joints.
         It takes me two strides to get to my window. Cautiously, I open the curtains letting the murderous sun in little by little. After my eyes adjust, I can see the entire street. I absorb the beauty of my front yard. The giant oak tree, three feet away from my window, is always swarmed with various birds. I sway to the beautiful melody they sing along with the light breeze that brings the lovely aroma from mother's garden. I can pick out each flower: the roses, carnations, daisies, sunflowers, baby's breath, and finally my favorite, lilacs.
         A sudden banging on the door startles me and sends the birds to flock away. A soft, calm voice bleeds through the door. “Hol? Are you up?”
         “Yes, mother.” I sigh. Of course I'm up, did you not hear the loud alarm clock?
“It's time to get ready for school, honey. Breakfast is on the table.” The volume died out as she descended down the stairs towards the kitchen. My mother really puts forth an effort to get me up in the mornings, hence my stupid alarm clock.
         Gathering my books off of my desk, I toss them into my book bag. Which I then fling downstairs yelling “GOOOAL!!!” I turned back to my room, which was originally the attic, to get dressed for the day.
         I head over to my closet and throw on my cheer outfit. We have cheer practice after school today. And, I just so happen to be cheer captain.          I stand there for a minute and gaze around my room. It is simple enough. Painted light purple, my favorite color. Queen-sized bed in the middle, directly across from the only window. My make-shift closet on the wall away from the door, merely a metal pole running horizontally wall to wall. A book shelf and purple beanbag chair by the window, a purple fuzzy rug in the middle over the hard wood floor, and dark purple curtains. Then by the door a white computer desk with my laptop and school books. There are even a few posters hung on the walls. Typical, simple, teenage girl's room.
         Grabbing the key's to my brand new 2008 Mustang GT Convertible, I jog downstairs. My mother bought my car for me as my sweet 16 gift. She even got it custom painted light purple with a white stripe down the center of the hood and a dark purple neon light underneath. Inside there is black leather seats and dark purple carpeting. I love it! In order to pay for my Convertible, she had to sell 5 houses. My mother is the best real estate agent around.
         Just as I was about to walk out the door, I hear a heavy sigh come from behind me. I freeze in mid-step.
         “Hollidaise Marie July.” Oh no, the full name, I'm in trouble. “Please explain to me why I received an email from your principal.”
         I turn around slowly. “I don't know.” I say. You can hear the fear in my tone. My mother is sitting at the kitchen table on her laptop, red-faced. I'm surprised I can't see smoke blowing from her ears. “What did it say?”
         She stares at me with her sarcastic-oh-really-I-don't-believe-you face. “What did it say? … It says that you have failing grades in 3 of your classes, Hollidaise. Now, just what am I going to do about it.” My mother looks me up and down then smiles. I gulp but say nothing. She continues, “Cheer practice today?”
         “Yes.” I answer cautiously. Where is she going with this?
         “Well, You're not going.”
         “WHAT!!!!” I scream. “I'm team captain! I HAVE to be there!”
         “Tough. You are failing 3 classes, so all of your free time from now on will be used studying and making up work.” How can she remain so calm. This is a crisis!!
         “But MOM!!!! I can do that after practice! This is the last day we can practice before the game tomorrow! I HAVE to go!!”
         “No. What I say goes. You will report directly home after school. The team does not need you. They know the moves, they can practice them without you being there. No ifs, ands, or buts about it. Now get to school before you are late. I'll call Coach Kelly and tell her that you cannot be on the team anymore.”
         “UGHH!! I. HATE. YOU.” Tears fill my eyes as I storm out of the kitchen. How could she do this to me? Cheerleading is my life. I'm team captain! I can't not go to practice and lead my team. I can't not be on the squad anymore. My mother is insane! I hate her! Definitely makes number 1 worst mother ever! I throw my car into reverse and speed out of the driveway, then to drive and I race away, angrily. I pull out my Iphone and dial my bffl's number.
         “Where are you? Class is about to start!” Mackenzie answers.
         I reply fast without breathing. “This is a crisis major! The witch held me hostage in her evil lair. Ms. Tymes emailed her that I was failing 3 of my classes and that evil witch won't let me come to cheer practice tonight! She won't let me come to cheer practice ever! She's calling Coach Kelly to tell her I'm off the squad! OhMyGod I HATE her so much!! How could she do this to me, Kenzie? Cheer is my life!!”
         “Whoa, whoa, whoa! Slow down Hollie! You can't be on the squad anymore?”
         “NO! The evil witch won't let me! She wants me to study instead.”
         “Ew, gross!! ... But what about the squad? Who's going to be captain? What's going to happen?”
         “I know right! … I don't know, Kenzie. Maybe you should be captain, you're great. This just completely sucks! I can't believe this is happening! My whole world, just crushed. All my dreams gone to pieces.” I sigh.
         “You better hurry, Hollie. Class is starting. I have to go. Hurry up!” With her final words, Mackenzie hangs up on me.
         Since I'm going to be late to class anyways, might as well stop at Starbucks and get my morning Mocha Frappe. I can use my shiny new platinum credit card.
         I pull out of the drive-thru sipping on my delicious frappe, when I get a text. Pulling out of the parking lot onto the main highway, I glance down to read the text message. It's from Mackenzie.
                   “From: Kenzie
                   Subject: It's been 20 minutes!
                   Where are you!!! o.0”
         The next second, I hear tires screeching and a horn blaring. I turn my head to my left and I can't see. I can barely hear metal crunching. People are screaming, no … A woman is screaming, no … I'm screaming. I'm trapped inside my car. There are sirens, lot's of them. Someone is talking, no … Yelling, asking questions. Their voice keeps breaking in and out. I can barely hear them. The sirens are fading, they are leaving me. NO! Come back, don't leave me here! I can't move, I can't see! Please HELP!!!! … I can't hear anything anymore. Everyone left me.
© Copyright 2011 C.M Emerson (deadend at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824845-Dead-End---Chapter-1