*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824896-Trinity-City-Ch1
Rated: 13+ · Other · Other · #1824896
The story of four people, trying to survive each passing day.
Chapter I


         The streets of Trinity City had an eerie silence as a small group of people, each with a weapon and a backpack, smashed the window of a store on the corner of the street. A Hispanic man in his early twenties climbed through the broken window. His hair was dyed blond, but the roots showed his natural dark brown color, and it looked as if he had a bad case of bed head. He was fairly short, a bit above five and a half feet and he was well built. He wore a tattered pine green shirt and a pair of khakis that had a big rip in the left knee. He wore black leather gloves with some sneakers that looked almost new. He carried a fire axe on a strap around his back. The man looked around and sighed, “I don’t know if we’ll be able to get much guys. Most of the food looks bad, least we may be able to use these knives here.” He picked up one and looked at it as three more people entered through the window.
         The other young man of the group walked to the cash register, “this’ll be our last store anyways. We’ll have to get back to the rendezvous point before long Rocs. So doesn’t matter if we can’t get much. We should just get what we can and head out.” The second young man had shoulder-length blond hair going over his left eye. He had a scar on the bridge of his nose that receded to where his left eye was. He had pale skin with bright green eyes. He was almost six feet tall with a dirty white shirt with extended black sleeves and blue jeans that seemed to have had some of the legs taken off. He had a well-kept katana around a belt loop on his left side. He walked around the store with his black sneakers some, staring at the shelves which had been nearly cleaned off. The other man kicked an empty can of corn to the corner “most of the canned goods are gone. However, it looks like one of the freezers still has a lock on it. Can you help me with this thing Ryuscaine?”
         As the two men fiddled with the lock, the younger of the two woman had finished unlocking the door to the storage area. She walked in and saw a rotting body hanging on the light in the center of the fairly large room. She walked right past it, not paying it any attention, and started to go through some closed boxes. “Beans, corn, pears, even cream of mushroom. Looks like I’m a get a good meal today.” She had pure as snow hair with some goggles around her neck. Her skin was pale and she had on a tan long sleeve shirt and jeans. Her body was very flat and she wore leather gloves all the time. She opened up and held back a squeal as she pulled out an Ithaca-37 shotgun. She pulled out shells from a smaller box and started to put them into a fanny pack on her left side. She loaded a shell into the shotgun and aimed it at the hanging body. She held the trigger with her left hand fired at it, creating a large hole in his back. The other three rushed into the room only see her rubbing some of the grease off of the shotgun. The lower half of the hanging body had plopped to the ground as the other three looked at the girl confused. “What’re you doing Zain; you scared us half to death with that shot!” Rocs walked over to her, “do not scare me like that.” He patted her head and sighed.
         The other woman threw some keys over to them. Zain caught it before it hit Rocs’ in the back of the head. “The creatures are sure to have heard that. I found a safe in the office over there, but I’m a hacker not a safe cracker.” The woman chuckled at her rhyme and readjusted a metal pole that was strapped to her backpack. Her blood-red hair went to her lower back and her skin was fair. She had a scar on the right side of her chin and her eyes seemed like sapphires. She wore a denim jacket that had its buttons missing with a black tank-top underneath and a pair of navy blue jeans that almost seemed brand-new. Her figure was like the hot girl on campus that everyone wanted. She cracked her knuckles and swung the pole on her back at a wooden crate that had more cans of food in it. ”Let’s get as much as we can and head to the rendezvous.” Ryuscaine grabbed some of the cans and put them in his bag. “Looks like we should try and come here again, with all of the food that’ll be left.”
Ryuscaine and Natalie started conversing while Rocs and Zain headed over to the office. Rocs kicked the door in and Zain poked her head in only to see a hand on the dial of a floor safe. Rocs pulled the hand off of the dial. “I don’t want to know where the rest of him went.” He threw the hand behind him as Zain started to open the safe. “Hey bro, are you glad I learned how to do this now?” She cracked a devilish smile as the lock clicked open. They opened the safe to find a Glock-17 with six magazines next to it. Zain picked up one of the magazines and started to count the number of bullets. “Hey, this has more rounds then it should have.” Rocs shrugged as Zain filled her pack with the magazines and put the Glock into her pocket. Ryuscaine and Natalie hopped out of the room with Zain and Rocs following close behind them.
         They got together with two larger groups and one by one they headed down a manhole. Ryuscaine was the last one down, and as he was closing it he heard the creature’s howls as they got closer. Once down inside of the sewers, the group leader started giving a speech about how important the scavenging is for the rest of the bunker. Most of the group had zoned into the speech and seemed to hang on every word. Ryuscaine walked up to the leader and cut him off, “look the creatures are on the surface looking for us. It’d be best if we headed back now instead of giving a pointless speech that can wait till we get back.” The leader pushed Ryuscaine aside and continued on, making sure to add him into the speech. Rocs rolled his eyes and helped Ryuscaine up, “let’s just go. He’ll stop eventually and meet up with us; you can beat the crap out of him then.” Ryuscaine sighed and they started walking with Natalie and Zain behind them.
         They got to the first checkpoint which had a camera looking at them. “Where are the others?” Rocs looked at the camera, “Mr. fantastic is giving another ‘good job team’ speech. We just decided-.” Rocs was cut off as he heard some screams from the other group as dozens of creatures started pouring out of the manhole above them and the next one, trapping them in between. Zain pulled out the Glock she found, but was cut off by Rocs. “Run now. There are too many of them.” Zain nodded and the four of them started to run to the next check point. After they got to the fourth checkpoint the screams and gunfire had stopped. Rocs punched one of the walls, Zain looked at him worried, Natalie looked back and shook her head and Ryuscaine sighed as they all knew what the outcome had been. “Let’s keep going, no point in waiting here.” They continued on until they reached a large pipe.
         Rocs pried the cover on the pipe and they all climbed in. Zain was the smallest so she went in last and closed the pipe back up. The pipe continued for some time until it came up to a large room lit by some lights on the roof.  All four of them stood around the large room and waited for someone to come onto the intercom. Rocs sighed and looked at the others “how many do you think there was? That was too large for a random hunting pack, they were searching for us.” Natalie leaned against the wall next to the pipe, “does it matter? I highly doubt we will be allowed onto the surface again after this. Heck even the sewer’s horrible smell can’t ward them off anymore.” Ryuscaine sat in the corner and looked up at the lights. “We’re gonna hear about this for a while. We lost fifteen more people, and since that camera records, they’ll be able to see everything.”
         At that moment the locks on the big metal door clicked and an entire wall opened up with an older man standing with a suit on and a stern look upon his face. His voice was deep and slightly hoarse, he seemed to talk slowly and enunciate from time to time. “Now, I know that you couldn’t do anythin’, however, we have ‘bout half o’ the bunkah goin’ nuts over what had happened.” He raised his hand slightly and two men in swat uniforms that had been painted slightly came up to the group. “I am sorry ‘bout this, but I must detain you until this said quarrel ceases. It is for your own safety, believe me, or don’t.” The group went with the two mean to a small holding room without saying much of anything. Their backpacks and weapons had been detained; even Zain’s fanny pack had been seized. While in there all they could hear was the dripping water in the corner and the two guards casually talking outside.
         “Detained again, almost every time we go out we seem to get detained. Only this time we’re in here for not fighting.” Rocs sat down on one of the two beds that were in the room. Zain grabbed the pillow that was on the bed and hugged it while she rested her head on her brother’s shoulder. Ryuscaine sat underneath the window and looked around the room. “I’m surprised by the fact that they haven’t made a room for us since we seem to be the only ones put in here.” Rocs sighed, wanting to shrug, and looked over at Natalie who laid down on the other bed. “Comfy over there Natalie?” He chuckled a bit as Natalie looked at him. “Might as well get that way, we’ll be in here a while. Listen,” everyone hushed up as they could hear arguing just outside of their door.
         The arguing was muffled, but they could probably tell that it was a few of the other residents of the bunker. They listened as more and more people seemed to be joining the arguments. Ryuscaine opened up the slot that was used for meals and listened to them. “They should just be killed, they have only been trouble since they got here.” One of the guards’ raised his hand a little, “now listen here. They wouldn’t have been able to do anything against those numbers.” The crowd became louder, “my son was out there.” Said one, “mine too.” Said another “my dad was out there with them.” Said a third as the two guards were now severely outnumbered. “Quiet!” Yelled the older man from before. His nice shoes clomped on the ground as he walked past the crowd. “Now hear this, a fitting punishment is already in place for these four individuals. It will be announced to all come the following morning, and now until that time, will all who are here please return to your normal activities. This madness is unbefitting of any of you.”
         The man continued, but Ryuscaine had heard enough. He closed the slot slowly so it wouldn’t click when it shut and sat back down underneath the window. “So, I guess it’s gonna be like that.” Rocs looked over to him, Zain and Natalie had already gone to sleep. “So it’s that bad man?” Ryuscaine just simply nodded his head and Rocs looked at Zain. “When my family adopted Zain as a baby, I was told to always protect her. I donno if I can for much longer, not with how the world is right now.” He pet Zain’s head and a smile came about her face as she stayed sleeping. Rocs got up and laid her down softly onto the bed and sat beside Ryuscaine. “That old man will probably try to be light on us, while still seeming harsh to everyone else.” Ryuscaine pulled a soda out of his pocket, “Zain taught me a thing or two.” He pulled out one from his other pocket and handed it to Rocs. “Stole it back from one of the guards before they put us in here.” They clanked the cans together and popped the tabs, drinking them while trying to hold a light conversation.
         A few hours later, Rocs was the only one awake. Caffeine never affected Ryuscaine, so he fell asleep after a bit. There was a light tap on the door and Rocs went over and opened up the slot, it was the man. “I have to apologize for my brevity, but I must speak with the four o’ you.” Rocs closed it and woke everyone up, almost getting punched by Natalie for waking her. The door opened up and the man walked in, a yawn here and there from the group. “It is approximately four thirty, and in three hours you four will have to receive your punishment. As seen fit by the counsel, I have no true power in this decision.” Zain and Natalie muttered because this was the first time they were hearing about it. “You will be given these said hours to prepare yourselves as best you can.” He paused for a moment; grimace came over their faces as they knew it was worse than they thought. “As set by the counsel: you four, Matthew “Ryuscaine” Locke, Miguel “Rocs” Renero, Zain Renero, and Natalie Suns are to be hear-by exiled from our bunker and to be disallowed from returning.” All four of them were wide-eyed and speechless as they looked at the man’s face. “That is all.”
© Copyright 2011 the Winter Wolf Warrior (ryuscaine at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1824896-Trinity-City-Ch1