*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825840-I-thought-It-Was-Thanks-Giving
Rated: E · Fiction · Nature · #1825840
Power Reviewers Contest Entry
Power Reviewers Contest Entry

REWRITE
1082
*LeafO*
I thought it was Thanks Giving. Or perhaps more appropriately turkey day. So if this is true then why are we killing the turkey and eating it. Heading toward the barn where we housed the turkey and other animals, I pondered these thoughts.

Vividly remember this day in my tender years, I was just old enough to go get our Turkey for my mother to prepare for the Thanksgiving feast. Rich in family and poor in money, inspired my mother to learn how to make a feast from nothing.

Thanksgiving to me was the worst day of the year because on this day our turkey would be killed and we would eat it for our big meal. I didn't like raising an animal only to kill it later. I couldn't understand why we did this. Perhaps when I get older it will make sense to me. Right now all I knew was this definitely was not this turkeys day and, it was this turkeys day to become our food.


Much later:
As the years passed I learned to work hard and provide for my family, and how to be thankful for our blessings. I realizing that the heroes of this wonderful event were my mother and the turkey for which I was extremely grateful giving thanks for their sacrifices which made it possible for me to survive, learn many life lessons and, give meaning to giving thanks otherwise known as thanks giving or thanksgiving, manifested slowly through life experiences.

I learned to be thankful for my family, my knowledge, skills, and all the things I was able to do.
I am thankful for being able to write and tell you about my impressions of Thanksgiving, of my childhood, and now as an adult. My biggest thing to be thankful for is my belief and for my God who has taken care of me, and my finding a place to write and get my writing noticed. The turkey would become my character and inspiration for writing on this Thanksgiving day, who without the Thanksgiving turkey, I wouldn't have my fantasy book written. The story goes like this.


Once upon a dime in time, I fell off the earth and soared into the atmosphere where I found myself being drawn to a planet that has many different colors and objects. Hearing the sounds of merriment going on in someplace drew me to close the distance between them and me. All the apparently happy and excited noises I heard as I drew near wrapped around me. I descended onto the planet and decided to follow the sound to see what was happening. With the bright colors, merriment, and discerning no danger I felt safe.
Approaching the entrance where the noises were most noticeable, I could smell a wonderful fragrance. Yummy, I thought to myself. This must be a celebration with a marvelous feast.

I could not ignore my hunger and the opportunity to enjoy something that smelled this wonderful. I was in a strange place and I had no idea who these people were or how they would accept me barging in on their festivities.

Unable to resist, I decided to continue my journey into the cave anyway. Tired from walking an extremely long distance I was much relieved to be at the second set of huge doors that were hiding the events I wanted to be a part of so very much and enjoy. Pausing, I thought for a moment that perhaps I should go away, but then, I would not have this opportunity again. I faced the doors grasped the handle and slowly opened the doors but stopped.

Wanting to be polite, I knocked and then waited. I knocked much louder again and then waited. This time I hammered on the doors with my fists. It became very, very quiet. Then a voice said;
"I think we have company."
Not long after this the doors flew open and there behold was a huge group seated at large tables. A feast before them that was immense and unusual astounded me.

The turkeys were having their Giving Thanks Day and I had been invited. I was the guest of honor.
"We are very glad you were able to come and visit with us. And, you are our honored guest."

I was very pleased to have such a most marvelously generous welcome. Perhaps I hadn't made a mistake and did the right thing by deciding to enter through these doors and join the party. After all, I was an honored guest. Apparently, they were expecting me. What better way to make new friends.

I was getting very excited about having new friends and enjoying this celebration feast. As I looked around I noticed that everyone was looking expectantly at me as if they expected me to do something or other, like maybe make a speech. That must be it. But I wasn't prepared to make a speech. How was I supposed to know that I was the guest of honor, and I was expected to give a talk?

"I thank you very much for this great honor." I started hesitantly, not knowing what I was going to say next. Then, I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. " I appreciate being able to be here with you at this special festivity." I was again contemplating what I would say next, hoping no one would notice my nervousness. But, someone did notice.

"Relax we are very, very glad to have you here. Stay around for as long as you like. We anticipate getting to know you much better as time goes by. Certainly, you won't mind if we get up close and personal. After all, to know you is to be close and personal."

I didn't know what to say. They really truly wanted to be my friends.

"why don't you come over here near the head of the table?"

Moving toward the head of the table, I noticed the decor. There were centerpieces, a colorful table cloth, eating utensils, matching napkins, and plenty of drinks of varying colors in stylish glasses. It looked like they had gone to a hung amount of trouble to prepare everything.

Everything had been prepared for me including the huge pot of boiling water.
"I'm glad people do not have feathers." Then the head of the group said; "You turkey, be quiet."


Then I woke up. I am now giving thanks that this was only a dream. And am glad that the turkeys did not have me for thanksgiving.


2180 words
11728 characters, 2180 words. Readability level: 7-8th grade student.


ORIGINAL
1082
*LeafO*
I thought it was Thanks Giving. Or perhaps more appropriately turkey day. So if this is true then why are we killing the turkey and eating it. These were my thoughts as i headed toward the barn where we housed the turkey and other animals.

I was very young then and vividly remember this day. I was just now old enough to go get the Turkey for my mother to prepare for our Thanksgiving feast. We were rich in family and poor in money, so my mother learned how to make a feast from nothing.

Thanks Giving to me was the worst day of the year because on this day our turkey would be killed and we would eat it for our big meal. I didn't like raising an animal only to kill it later. I couldn't understand why we did this. Perhaps when I get older it will make sense to me. Right now all I knew was this definitely was not this turkeys day it was this turkeys day to become our food.


Much later:
As the years passed I grew up, learned to work hard and provide for my family, and how to be thankful for what we had. I gradually realized that the heroes of this wonderful even t were my mother and the turkey for which I was extremely grateful giving thanks for their sacrifices which made it possible for me to survive, learn many life lessons and, give meaning to giving thanks other wise known as thanks giving or thanksgiving.

I learned to be thankful for my family, my knowledge, and skills, all the things I was able to do.
I am thankful for being able to write and tell you about my impressions of Thanksgiving of my childhood and as an adult now. My biggest thing to be thankful is for my belief and for my god who had taken care and my finding a place to write and get my writing noticed. The turkey would become my character and inspiration for writing on this Thanksgiving day. With out the Thanksgiving turkey I wouldn't have my fantasy book written. The story goes like this.


Once upon a dime in time, I fell off the earth and soared into the atmosphere where I found myself being drawn to a planet that had many different colors and objects. It seemed there was a merriment going on in some place because of all the seeming happy and excited noises I heard as I got near. Then suddenly I was on the planet and decided to follow the sound to see what was going on. With the bright colors, merriment, and apparently no other dangers I felt safe.
As I approached the entrance to where the noises were coming from, I could smell a wonderful fragrance. Yummy, I thought to myself. This must be a celebration with a marvelous feast.

There was no way I could ignore the hunger and the opportunity to enjoy something that smelled this wonderful. But, I was in a strange place. I had no idea who there people were or how they would accept me barging in on their festivities.

I decided to continue my journey into the cave anyway. It seemed that i had to walk a very, very long way. Then suddenly to my great surprise there it was! I had arrived at the huge doors which were hiding the events I wanted to be a part of so very much and enjoy. I thought for a moment that perhaps I should go away, but then, I would not have this opportunity again I suspected, so I faced the doors again.

I knocked and then waited. I knocked much lounder again and then waited. This time I hammered on the doors with my fists. It became very, very quiet. Then a voice said;
"I think we have company."
Not long after this the doors flew open and there behold was a huge group seated at large tables. They had a feast before them that astounded me.

The turkeys were having their giving thanks day and I had been invited. I was the guest of honor.
"we are very glad you were able to come and visit with us. And, you are our honored guest."

I was very pleased to have such a most marvelously generous welcome. Perhaps I hadn't made a mistake and did the right thing by deciding to enter through these doors and join the party. After all, I was the honored guest. Apparently they were expecting me. And And what better way to make new friends.

I was getting very excited about having new friends and enjoying this feast. As I looked around I noticed that everyone was looking expectantly at me as if they expected me to do something or other, like maybe make a speech. That must be it. But I wasn't prepared to make a speech. How was I supposed to know that i was the guest of honor because I was expected to give a talk?

"I thank you very much for this great honor." I started hesitantly, not knowing what I was going to say next. Then, I cleared my throat and took a deep breath. " I appreciate being able to be here with you at this special festivity." I was trying to think of what i would say next, hoping no one would notice my nervousness. But, someone did notice.

"relax we are very, very glad to have you here. Stay around for as long as you like. We anticipate getting to know you much better as time goes by. Certainly you won't mind if we get up close and personal. After all to know you is to be close and personal."

I didn't know what to say. They really truly wanted to be my friends.

"why don't you come over here near the head of the table?"

As I moved toward the head of the table, I noticed the decor. There was center pieces, a colorful table cloth, eating utensils, matching napkins, and plenty of drinks of varying colors in stylish glasses. It looked like they had gone to a hung amount of trouble to prepare everything.

Everything had been prepared for me including the huge pot of boiling water.
"I'm glad people do not have feathers." Then the head of the group said; "You turkey, be quiet."


Then I woke up. I am now giving thanks that this was only a dream. And am glad that the turkeys did not have me for thanksgiving.
© Copyright 2011 dogpack:saving 4 premium: DWG (vpbanjo at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1825840-I-thought-It-Was-Thanks-Giving