*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830118-The-Red-Sky
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Military · #1830118
This story puts you before, during, and at the end of a battle in civil war.
Once, when I was a young boy, my mother use to tell me that war was hell. It is the work of a wicked thing and the sights beheld are gruesome.Yet, with all that, there was always hope. She told me in the midst of battle, the sky turns red. The blood of the soldiers who died are pouring from heaven. I never under stood what she meant until the day civil war broke out. They broke into our house and all I could remember was the sound of my brother crying and me thinking " why is this happening". Indeed, I never understood war's concept or why it was what it was. Eventually, I became part of it.
You can imagine the pain that I felt when I was turned against my own family. Even now, i don't know if i could fight my family. I marched into battle and over the horizon i saw the worst thing anyone could see. My brother was fighting on the other side. My mind was blown, My insides turned to stone, knowing I'd have to kill my brother. I just didn't know if I could do it. I was the youngest in my family and now i have to fight my older brother. I saw my brother and he saw me. The way he looked at me with shame. I'll never forget those blood shot eyes. The trumpet blew and the battle began.
What happened next was just the most gruesome thing you've ever seen. Oh god in heaven above, why, why this. Is this punishment for my sins. The carnage never ended. The guns shot and the blood spilled and worst of all, I was forced to shoot my brother. I was covered in blood and tears on my knees. This is war and I finally understood what my mother told me. I stood up and began to walk away from the battle. It was over and i felt like I couldn't move but my legs kept moving. I knew now i couldn't turn back. I headed into the sunset, under The RED Sky.
© Copyright 2011 Jesse avid (j-alezano at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1830118-The-Red-Sky