*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1833623-Mists-of-Apalia-Chapter-4-1147-words
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Chapter · Other · #1833623
A group of rebels attempt to thwart the rule of a false King. Part 1
Mists of Apalia

Chapter 4: The plan begins



The street glows sputtered and died the darkness quickly claiming the area around the docks.
Faith could make out the faint shape of Quill in the distance as he approached the last of the street glows. Salty night air whipped about her face as she studied his movements; crouched down in a side street she and Tah’lon waited for the task to be completed.

She shifted uncomfortably, these were the moments she hated, sitting and waiting. Although she had had plenty of practice in the last three years waiting did not sit well with her. Faith supposed everyone who had joined the resistance had felt this way one time or another. Sitting by helplessly while a murderer ruled went against everything they had come to stand for.
But everyone, including Faith, allowed the voice of reason to guide them. Airianna had spoken many times to the village in times of restlessness on the need to pick their battles. She had patiently explained to them they must plan to win the war not just battles.
Her words had never been truer than after the terrible incident where four of their number had been cut down taking on a patrol of Draikins men. They had been outnumbered and without a doubt outclassed.

She watched with interest as he quickly worked open the cover on the glow generator housed in the side of the pole to remove the tiny crystal. Quill was lost in the darkness as he completed his task.

Faith was once again impressed with Quills ability with glow Machen, although all but basic knowledge of these devises survived he had learnt all there was to know of this ancient power and was adept at using his talent to benefit the resistance.

Tah’lon gently touched her shoulder, it was time to move. They hastened towards the small long boat that was docked at the end of the pier; the faint sound of metal against glass tinkled in the air, Quill was already in the long boat tampering with its Machen.

Water slapped against the side of the boat as Tah’lon stepped down followed by Faith. Quill looked up from the bow of the small ship where he had the hatch opened, various tools and crystals scattered about him.
‘How much longer?” Tah’lon asked his brother quietly, although there was no one about they  felt the need to whisper.

‘the generator is old but with a few adjustments and these new crystals’ he clicked a small crystal into place as he spoke ‘ she should raise higher than normal.

Faith felt a thrill through her body, so far their plan was working without a hitch.

‘Will it be high enough?’ Faith asked a tremor or fear entering her voice, Quill nodded and shut the hatch triumphantly.

‘I think it will. I’ve made a few adjustments to the generator so that it can take more crystals and draw more glow. Given there are only the three of us yes it should be enough power to lift us to a sufficient height’.

Faith nodded as though she understood perfectly the intricacies behind Machen and the glow crystals that fed them.

‘Here goes nothing’ Quill said standing back ‘you may want to sit down and hang on, I can’t be sure how it will react exactly’

‘What do you mean you don’t kno…’ Tah’lons question was cut off mid-stream as Quill depressed a button on the console and the long boat shuddered to life and lifted suddenly into the air.

Quill gave a little yip of excitement; they were hovering above the water twice the distance that was standard for a long boat.

Faith glanced over the side at the water below and smiled in satisfaction. Looking out towards the horizon she was able to see the silhouette of their goal, the Alunyu ship Mariah. Alunyu ships were the largest flying ships in existence and Mariah was by far the most impressive. Commissioned by the false King Draikin it was captained by Theogun and his men, the same men who had massacred the royal family three years ago. 

Mariah hung high above the still waters of the bay bobbing slightly on an unseen current of air. This was what they had come for, this ship, and whatever Draikin wanted that was stored in its hold.

Quill took hold of the controls and urged the long boat onward towards Mariah. Only a skeleton crew would be aboard, the majority of the crew who had taken shore leave would not be returning for many hours to come.

The local taverns and brothels had been well paid to slip a little something extra into the men’s ale. Even when the alarm was raised it would take hours before they would be fit for sea. Faith smiled at the thought as they approached the ship.

She was rather proud of her latest concoction, it would leave the men in an almost comatose state for most of the next day and they would wake with a thumping migraine that would have most people in bed for several days. They would have the time they needed to make a full escape and move the resistance to a new location.

Quill adjusted their speed so that the glow generator made only a whisper of a sound as they approached the side of Mariah. The blackened sides towered above them and Faith could see the cannon ports along its side, how many ships had fallen below the waves because of this ship she wondered.

The long boat drifted under the hull of Mariah as she creaked and groaned in the night. They came to a gentle stop under the area of the hold. Tah’lon stood ducking his head to avoid hitting it against the bottom of the ship above them. Quill handed him a strange looking tool he had created, with practiced ease Tah’lon anchored the device in the wood above him.

The anchor was attached to Quills Machen by a small chain; Tah’lon pulled the chain taut and slowly drew a circle around the anchor. The Machen bit into the soft wood with a quiet vibrating sound as wood dust fell from the wound Tah’lon was opening in the ship’s hull. He had almost completed a full circle when he stopped the Machen and handed it back to Quill.

Quill hissed sharply as his hands touched the Machen; they had practiced this over and over and each time Quill had burn his finger on the hot blades.
Tah’lon shook his head and with a firm shove broke the remaining wood and pulled the plug of timber free.

Faith stood and removed her heavy black cloak letting it fall to her feet. Using Tah’lons proffered knee she stepped up into the small hole and found herself in the hold of the Mariah.

© Copyright 2011 Natbutterflyblue (missblue at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1833623-Mists-of-Apalia-Chapter-4-1147-words