*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835027-A-Deadly-Ski-Accident
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Short Story · Mystery · #1835027
A skier goes off into the woods, but was it an accident?

"A skier went off a trail, hit a tree, dead at the scene," Detective Mike Halloran said.  "Sounds like an unfortunate accident."

"We thought so until this," said John Horn, the ski area manager, starting a video.

A section of a narrow, steep ski trail.  A skier came quickly from the top, and disappeared out of the shot toward the bottom.

Two skiers next, almost as quick, close together.  Suddenly, one skier made a sharp turn into the other forcing that skier off the trail into the woods.  Another sharp turn, and the villain was gone.

"Can you stop it here?" asked Mike.

"Hold on," replied John.

A fourth skier appeared, not as fast.  A few easy turns, and disappeared toward the bottom.

"That's from a web cam showing the conditions on Nose Dive, a double diamond run," John explained.  "Never expected to see anything like that."

"They were all dressed the same," observed Mike.

"Unfortunately," said John.  "Ski Patrol uniforms.  From knowing who was on duty, here are their names.  After they finished the day, I had them secured in a storage area."

"Does the ski patrol have their own area here?" asked Mike.

"A lounge with lockers for each," John replied.  "Want to check it out? I can provide you with a master key."

"After I see the video again," said Mike.

Mike entered the patrol lounge with John, examined the contents of each locker, noting the name on each.  The evidence showed a thriving narcotics business being conducted by the suspects.

"I'm arresting all three," said Mike.

John was shocked.  Are you dear reader?

"Not ski bums, drug dealers.  Probably found out by the victim.  A classic assassination.  A scout to make sure they were alone, the hitter, and a sweeper to clean up if needed."
© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835027-A-Deadly-Ski-Accident