*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835163-On-the-Runaway-Street
by Krissy
Rated: 18+ · Novel · Young Adult · #1835163
Calla Davis wakes up one day realizing that her life was going to spin out of control
Chapter 1:Runaway Birthday Girl
Calla’s Point of View
Calla wakes to the smell of her favorite breakfast. It smelled like pancakes. Calla hurries out of bed without caring what she looked like. She runs to the kitchen to find her older brother Miles at the kitchen table eating those pancakes. Miles was trying to entice her. He says “Oh, look it’s birthday girl ready to inhale my breakfast. By the way mom and dad want to talk to you about something.” The way Miles says those words make Calla question the what he meant. She ignores him and goes to the cabinet to grab a plate. Then Lia comes up behind me and says “Happy Birthday Calla?” Lia said it like a question. I leave the kitchen to go to the living room to where my parents were. They were sitting on the couch watching TV and turned it off as soon I came in. “Calla come in and sit.” said Mr. Davis. Calla goes over to the recliner. “What did you want to talk to me about?” said Calla. Mr. Davis and Mrs. Davis look at one another. Mrs. Davis “Calla, you’re adopted.” I say “Is this a joke. You’re lying.” I run out of the room up the stairs to my bedroom. I slammed the door shut.
I don’t know how long I was lying on my bed. There was a knock on my door. I say “Go away.” But it was only Lia. Lia was standing in the door jam in red sweatpants and a white t-shirt. She asked “May I come in?” There was no way I could refuse my older sister for anything. Lia lets herself in and sits on the end of the bed. She says “I’m sorry you had to find out like this on your birthday.” I say “You knew that I was adopted and didn’t tell me?” All Lia said was “Calla, I didn’t know. Until I over heard Mom and Dad last night. They were trying not to shout at one another about the revelations that our uncle told Mom and Dad about you. They want to know about your birth parents.” At least Lia was telling me things I needed to know. After Lia leaves my room, I pretended to be asleep when my mother came in to check on me to see I was sleeping. When everybody else went to bed I made sure I was the only one awake. I packed a duffel bag, grabbed my cell phone and left a note for my parents to find. The note said:
Dear Mom,
I’m sorry If you find this. But I’m gone you see me again. I feel the need to find my birth parents. Tell Dad, Lia, and Miles I love them.
Love Calla
I open the window and dropped my bag on the ground. I left the note on my bed, an easy place to find. The street was empty all the cars were parked. No one was moving on the street. I kept walking until I came to a rest stop with a bunch of sixteen wheel trucks. I placed myself at one of the benches and fell asleep.
Robert’s Point of View
I was about to get in my truck when I see a lone girl laying on the bench out front of the gas station where the buses pick people up. I go over to the bus stop and shake the girl to wake up. The girl wakes up. I say “Hey kid, Are you homeless or something?” She goes “No, to tell you the truth I’m running away.” I’m thinking This girl is trying to runaway from home. This girl is going to need a ride. The girl was about to get and walk down the street. I run up to her “Listen, do you need a ride? I was going to Maryland. Do you want to go with me? By the way I’m Robert others call me Bob.” The girl turns around and says “Okay Bob, You say you want to give a ride with you to Maryland. Are you going to Maryland tonight? By the way I’m Calla.” I knew this girl is smart for a girl out of Northampton county. I turn to the truck. Calla runs to keep up. She makes it to the truck while huffing and puffing. We leave the gas station.
On the road, the both of us were silent. I look over at Calla who’s asleep. I pulled of Route 22 to pull on the Airport Road then on the interstate. By early morning I’m in Darby pulling into a motel. Calla wakes up to takes both of the bags into the room while I went to check in. I comeback to the room and see Calla asleep again. I go over to the window to pull the drapes over them and go to sleep myself.
Calla’s Point Of View
It was 2 p.m. in the afternoon. I look around thinking about earlier last night. I get off the bed and head to the bathroom with my phone. On the screen of the phone said “Two Messages” I didn’t feel like looking at the phone. So, I washed up and went back into the room then sat on the end of the bed waiting for Bob to arise again.
I notice something off about Bob’s complexion. It looked deathly pale and chalky. Was he a vampire? I guess I will have to find out for myself by opening the drapes. Next, I went over to the window and opened the drapes. After opening them, Bob was starting to sizzle like he was steaming vegetable. I was surprised when Bob’s eyes shot open. Bob says “Girl, are you crazy? Close those damn drapes. I’m freaking burning like a cinderblock in the sun.” Bob was mad and I quickly shot up to shut the drapes. I asked “Are you a damned vampire?” I’ve never felt like I had that much power before in my life. Bob took a minute to answer. He says “Yes, I’m a vampire. But first a few things I will tell you. 1.) Don’t open the drapes when there’s a fanged creature in the room with you. 2.) Don’t tell me what to do kid. 3.) You my dear are not human either. So, I suggest you start believing in everything supernatural. Because they’re a lot of my kind out there that your going to meet.” I don’t know what to think of Robert’s out burst. But he made me feel like I was certainly different from my peers.
For the rest of the day into the night, Robert wouldn’t speak to me. I was fine with that. Robert was going to be a hard person to be around. But I could deal with that. Even when it’s the day on your birthday the time to runaway. So, I’m the runaway birthday girl.

© Copyright 2011 Krissy (lcoolhugs21 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835163-On-the-Runaway-Street