*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835409-Late-Autumn-Hike
Rated: E · Essay · Nature · #1835409
A personal essay about an encounter I had during a late autumn hike.
As I glanced out the window of my den, just as the sun began to rise above the tree line, I saw the glimmer of the frost that had settled on the grass. It was a very cold morning and I knew that I was going to wait a bit before I ventured out for my morning run. I guess that I still haven’t become acclimated to the cold and the way my body reacts when I am running. As I breathe, the cold seems to freeze my lungs and make it rather difficult to inhale and exhale so that I can have a smooth rhythm. It will probably take some time to overcome this breathing obstacle, but with practice and determination, I will prevail. Regardless, I still managed to venture out into the cold morning to run a good 5.5 miles.  This, before I headed down to Mendon Ponds Park to enjoy a late autumn hike in one of my favorite places to soak in the sites and sounds of Mother Nature.

There are numerous trails to choose from in Mendon Ponds, which is just southeast of Rochester. The one I chose to hike was the Quaker Pond Trail which intersects with the Nature Trail. The reason I chose the Quaker Pond Trail was because it offers wonderful beauty and the right distance where I can stay out and really explore the surrounding wildlife. It’s about 2.7 miles long...a loop trail that intersects a number of other trails besides the Nature Trail. By the time I arrived at the trail head, the temperature had risen to a very comfortable 50 degrees and was just an absolutely beautiful day for a hike. The sky was clear and the wind was calm.

When I arrived, there were no other cars parked at the trail head and it appeared as though I would be the only one on this trail. That made it even more special because I knew that I could take my time, stop, listen and look. For when I go on these hikes, the beauty is to listen to Mother Nature and all that she has created. To observe every living creature that I come across as if they are there to entertain me. It is a very special moment to be one with Mother Nature and to appreciate all that she has given us. I enjoy it immensely and I wish that I could show others how to appreciate these wonders as I do. As I am walking, I can't help but think of my little niece and nephew and how I would love to bring them out here and show them what it means to enjoy and appreciate these moments. But I digress.

As I began my hike along the trail, I came up to a "T" in the path; one trail went to my left and one to my right. They were both the same trail, as the Quaker Pond Trail made a loop and this is where they completed the loop to head back to the parking lot where the trail begins. I decided to turn right and start my journey that way. As I came around the first bend in the trail I stopped because I heard the crunching of the dry leaves in the woods to my left. I would always stop whenever I hear the crackle and crunch of the autumn leaves because I love to listen and look for the source of the sounds. It is an unmistakable sound that stirs excitement within me because this is a sign that some creature was running or jumping in the forest near me. As I stopped to search for the source, I looked over and within about 20 feet, were 2 deer that were standing and staring at me. It appeared to be a mother with her young one foraging for food on this warm and beautiful autumn day. They came to an abrupt halt when they noticed me.  I stopped and starred back at them. Just watching them and waiting. The mother deer continued to stare at me with her big dark glossy eyes, as if she was trying to calculate my next move or to see what I was. The young one seemed content to continue to eat while glancing up at me every once in a while. They were not startled or frightened by my presence, but they were cautious as to what I would do next. So they continued to observe and waited for me to make the next move. I continued to stand there motionless as I didn’t want to startle them by any sudden movements.  This is their backyard and I wanted to respect their territory. I felt as though time had stood still, when actually it was just a few minutes when the mother deer began to walk away, occasionally jumping over fallen logs. It was strange as she didn’t turn to her little one to make sure he was following. It appeared as though I had gained their trust that I would do no any harm to them.  The little one continued to eat and occasionally glanced up at me. Eventually, before his mother got out of sight, the little one began to walk and jump towards her. This is what I was looking for today. These moments are why I enjoy Mother Nature so much and appreciate all her wonders.
© Copyright 2011 chamberlain66 (chamberlain66 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835409-Late-Autumn-Hike