*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835639-Planning-The-Celebration
Rated: E · Short Story · Holiday · #1835639
Christmas needed a real celebration this year.

"How should we celebrate this year?" Barbara asked him.  She was the one that always had to bring it up.

"Hmm...  I don't know.  What do you think?" Bill replied.  His usual answer.  A big help.

"I'd like to get a real tree this year, if it's OK with you," Barbara said hesitantly.

"We don't have to spend a lot on things for each other though," she added.

"Sure, sure, whatever you think," Bill said.

"Good, that's settled," Barbara concluded.  This year she was glad that Bill wasn't taking a lot of interest in planning for the holiday.  She wanted to surprise him.

When they were first married, the two of them would spend hours decorating, and dreaming about what Christmas would be like when they had kids to celebrate with.  They'd both grown up in big families, and wanted that atmosphere in their home for the holiday.

Wanting didn't guarantee happening though.  They kept trying.  Consulted with specialists, who couldn't offer any reason why children weren't forthcoming.  After a while, Christmas seemed to loose the warmth they'd always associated with it.

A good sized balsam fir went up a few days before the 25th.  Barbara started putting up lights, balls, and tinsel.  On Christmas Eve, Barbara finished the decorations except for two important facets.  She saved those for the last.

"The two packages under the tree seem a little lonely," Bill said when he got home, still glum.

"How about you top this beauty off?" Barbara asked.

Bill carefully placed the star at the peak.

"One last thing," Barbara said.  "Could you hang the stockings on the mantle?"

"Sure," Bill replied, but them seemed confused.  "Three stockings?"

"Yep," Barbara laughed.  "Next year we'll need more presents!"
© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835639-Planning-The-Celebration