*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835806-Stupid-Dad
Rated: E · Short Story · Family · #1835806
Dad becomes a hero.

"Danny, the river is over its banks," Dad said coming into the family room.

Dad was the best guy in the world, until my fourteenth birthday, when he got really stupid.  Two years later, and he won't let me get my driver's license.  Stupid.

So I'm stuck in the house with a monsoon outside.

"That guy's been carrying on about flooding," I said pointing to the TV.

"Turn it up a little," Dad said, plopping down in his easy chair.

Before Mom lost her fight with cancer, she used to say the family room was "Man's World".  Dad in his big recliner, me on the couch.

"Time for us to move out," Dad suddenly said, "to get across the Jackson Bridge before they close it."

By the time we got the SUV out of the garage, the water was up to the back of the house.  Not good.

"It's still open, but not for long," Dad said slowing to turn onto the bridge.

"Wow," Dad exclaimed, slamming on the brakes.  "That wasn't here a minute ago."

A house had come down the river and caught on the bridge.

"Dad, someone's in the house," I screamed.  "A little girl waving from that window."

"Danny," Dad said,  "after I'm out, you slide behind the wheel.  Once I'm back inside, drive across the bridge and up the hill."

The he did the most amazing thing.  Jumped out, ran to the side, hung over the railing, and grabbed that little girl right out of the window.  Ran back with her, and got into the back seat.

"Here we go," I said.  Did my part, driving no less.

It's been in the papers and on TV.  Dad may still be stupid, but now he's a hero.

And thinking kindly about me getting a license.  Yeah!
© Copyright 2011 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835806-Stupid-Dad