*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835834-Tydns-Fate-Sun-and-Moon-Chapter-2-RD
Rated: E · Novel · Young Adult · #1835834
The second chapter of my novel. Please enjoy.
Yells of joy and despair echoed throughout the room as another bet granted a burly man more money. He bellowed his excitement by buying he and his friends more mead. He had a wide face and a heavy brow made him appear intimidating, but the people were too drunk to fear the man. He and three other men continued their betting shortly after and the laughing continued.

The building had two floors. They were both bade out of rotting wood and holes could be seen all over the walls. The ramshackle stairs shook as men hung on them like children at a jungle gym. Several stocky bartenders ran about the bar, struggling to keep up with the orders.

The lower floor was larger than the top, which formed a balcony over it. Most men would stay at the bottom and bet and drunk to their hearts content or until they passed out. The upper floor involved more private matters that some of the society would frown upon.
The room was filled with noise. Men were shouting, music was playing, and several fights jumped across the floor like dancers. Tables and chairs flew with laughter shortly following.

Kyani sat at a far corner of the large room, observing the insanity take place. She snorted in disgust. If it wasn’t for her mission, she would have ripped these places apart. She had a table all to herself, making sure no one bothered her. She rarely drunk, but she knew someone who did; and many people in these taverns had a tendency to talk if threatened.

Alcohol filled her nose, making her despise the scent all the more. Two men began shouting at each other by the stairs, their hands balled up into fists. One threw a punch and hit a woman who was passing by. She screamed and the whole room erupted into more chaos.
Annoyed, she forced her way over to the bar, avoiding anything sent her way. The objects she didn’t see coming bounced off an invisible wall around her. It wasn’t her first time wading through a battlefield of fools.

She sat at the bar, watching the fights rage on. She ordered a drink even though she wasn’t going to bother with it. She figured it would be easier to fit in. She took it from the bar tender and swirled it around in her hand. Her blue eyes examined it curiously, taking in the little vortex.

She jumped as someone grabbed her shoulder. Resisting the urge to attack, she faced the person. It was a large man and his face was red with intoxication. “How ‘bout we getsh to know each ‘ther ‘ittle better?” he hiccupped at the end of his slurred question.

She eyed his face carefully. His age was right, but he looked different than she remembered and he would never be so careless. Dismissing the thought, she considered who else he might be.

“That depends, do know anything about a man called Nequita?” she responded.

He looked at the ceiling for a moment and almost fell onto her when he went for a seat. “Nope, but I wants to knows your name, purdy lady.” Rolling her eyes she stood up and strolled away.

She winced as he grabbed her brown hair and pulled her ear to his mouth. Another hand wrapped around her waist. Hot breath brushed her ear, “Where ya’ goin’?” Anger rising, she unleashed her wrath.

The man fell back on the floor, frightening the people around them. He clutched his throat and gagged as he squirmed around. She turned away from him, pretending not to notice. More and more people began to stop and stare at the oddity. He gurgled and reached out to her, as if to ask her to stop. Slowly, the man stopped moving, and his eyes glazed over.

I said no, she thought to herself. She dropped coin onto the bar. The room was too shocked to notice her walking out. The doors banged behind her as she exited.

She stared at the night sky as she left. The city of Falka was well known for advances in technology and candle lights were always on, blocking many stars. Buildings here were tall and close together, giving it a compact feeling. It disoriented her at first, but she had adjusted.

The yelling in the tavern started up again and she sighed. Putting her hands in her jacket’s pockets, she headed for the docks. They were rarely noisy at this time of night and felt tranquil to her. She wanted to think.

Her eyes narrowed as she noticed a man behind her. He was trying to be stealthy, but she spotted him easily. She veered into one of the narrow allies. She closed her eyes, unable to see in the shadows. Using her common sense, she assumed he would be able to. She reached out mentally, finding his location. He still hadn’t turned the corner. She quickly found her way up to the roof of one building and hid.

He ran into the trap beneath her. He stopped and stood there for a minute. She knew that if she moved, she would lose her position, and something told her to be wary of this man. She sensed him searching for her. His confusion surprised her until she realized he was a teenager.

“I know you can sense me,” he called. “I can hear that you’re here.” She stared at him as his head turned in her direction, but saw nothing.

Giving up her ruse, she dropped down from the roof. “Who are you?” she asked. Above her hand, a pink light illuminated the area. She just smelled the garbage around them when she saw it. Her patience grew thin when he didn’t respond.

“Answer me,” she said threatningly. He shifted his weight for several second, debating in his head what to do. His eyes deceived that he was planning out a lie and she struck.

He dropped onto his knees as she broke into his mind with hers, digging for answers. The first and last thing she managed to get was the name “Perius” before a blade was at her throat.

She released his thoughts and backed away. An embroidered staff with a blade on one end was in his hands. Her eyes narrowed in the shadows, betraying her emotions.

“I can help you,” he said panting. “I have information you can use.”

“And why shouldn’t I just take it from you?” she pointed out, pushing the weapon away.

“You very well could, but then I wouldn’t be able to help you in other ways,” he backed away, lowering the staff. “We have a similar cause, you know. I’ll willingly give you information and help you, if you help me.”

She debated the options in her head and decided his proposition was the best. A partner in her quest may come in handy, even if he is a sacrifice in the end. Then she wouldn’t even need to help him. “Very well, but know that if you try anything, you will suffer the most painful death you could have ever imagined.”

He chuckled nervously, a smile growing on his face, “Good to know.”
© Copyright 2011 XxDragonWolfxX (xxdragonwolfxx at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1835834-Tydns-Fate-Sun-and-Moon-Chapter-2-RD