*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839160-2012-New-Years-Resolution-Contest
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Article · Contest Entry · #1839160
2012 New Years Resolution Contest for TGD (1055 words)(Member less than 1 year)
For 2012 I want to refine my review template to be more concise and helpful. I want to write at least one quality review a week.

Knowing what I need in a review is very helpful in writing one for others. Reading other peoples' reviews of other another’s material shows me what I should be looking for in my own works, as well as what would be most helpful for others when writing my own reviews. In addition to helping other members of the WDC and TGD communities improve their craft, I hope to further develop my self-critiquing and writing skills in the process.

WDC and TDG both offer contests that I am interested in participating in. Taking part in these offers a wide range of opportunities. First it exercises my writing in areas other than my main project. This should, in turn, generate ideas for my Knight series so that themes do not become old and stale.

Secondly, contests will help bolster my self-confidence. While winning isn’t everything, and editors don’t give a rip about awards you’ve won for your work, short of a Pulitzer, placing anywhere in a judged competition is an ego booster. I have already received honorable mention in a poem contest. It is the first serious poem I have every written for other than my own consumption or benefit. It is also the first work I have ever submitted to any contest. Even though I didn’t win, I see it as a major achievement. It encourages me to pursue that avenue further, on top of my projects already in progress.

I am realistic enough to know that I won’t rank in most, or even many of the various competitions I submit my work to, but I know the possibilities are there to be noticed. I also hope that others who read my works, and subsequent reviews, are encouraged to put their own ideas to paper. Writing is definitely not for the timid, faint of heart, or easily discouraged. Constructive criticism, and well thought out, honest reviews will not only help me, but will also show others what they can expect of the WDC and TGD communities. It will also show them that they shouldn't be afraid of getting a bad review. Rather they should use that information as a tool to improve their talent.

I hope to make lasting friendships within WDC and TGD that are constructive and enjoyable to all. I have a friend who I met on line nearly fifteen years ago. He lived in Pennsylvania at the time. We have never met in person, but we are the best of friends. I’ve watched his kids grow up, seen him change jobs, and move to Alabama. I thoroughly enjoy our relationship and I hope to see such friendships here. I believe that I would be able to give and receive constructive critique on our efforts, allowing each of us to improve our abilities.

Without knowing exactly who strolls through these boards, I hope to meet people who are considered professionals in the craft. I don’t think that they would be here without a reason. If one or more of them were generous enough to give me a critical review that shows me where the strengths and weaknesses in my work lie, it would put me on the road to being a better writer. I would also benefit from knowing what an editor or publisher is looking for.

If entering contests with quality material gets me noticed by someone looking for talent, it would present an invaluable opportunity. I know the odds of such a thing happening are beyond remote, but dreams are made to come true.

WDC and TDG have been going strong long before I arrived, but I hope to grow enough to be a valuable contributor in whatever way I can. Right now I’m so low on the totem pole that I’m underground; but I hope to increase my value to both communities of writers.

I have started a three part project. The first chapter is written in both third person and first person points of view. Both are posted to my portfolio. The third person POV piece has been up longer, but the first person POV has received more viewings, which I am happy to see. But the first person POV has only a single review. While that one is certainly appreciated, I would like to generate more interest in other members when it comes to getting me on the right track. Hopefully that will come with more reviews on my part, in conjunction with the generous GP’s already offered.

While first person POV is the most challenging, it is also the most appealing to me. I hope to average four thousand words a week. In order to do that I’m going to have to do more writing and less on-the-fly editing. I should be able to complete Knight of the Hand with 120,000 – 150,000 words in under a year if I can maintain that average. If I allow as much as six months for editing, by next summer I should be ready to begin writing Knight of the Heart while submitting Knight of the Hand for publication.  If I can complete the third part, Knight of the Soul, and have all three published within seven years, I will view that as a major accomplishment.

As my skills grow, I want to pass along what I've learned to others so that they can improve their own talents, broaden their horizons, and help them achieve their goals. Seeing other people have their dreams come to fruition would be a personal accomplishment that would bring me great joy.

Becoming a published author would fulfill every aspiring writer’s aspirations. But I don’t believe that it’s an unattainable goal. I expect to become a published author. I expect to make some good money writing. And I expect to be able to take my wife on our first vacation after twenty-three years of marriage without one.

My goals for 2012 are simply a foundation for a structure that will be years, if not decades, in the making. I see my relationships within the WDC and TGD communities as the mortar that will help cement the various building blocks together. I hope to be just as encouraging to everyone I meet.

(1055 words, not including this line) (Member less than 1 year)
© Copyright 2012 Fred Marle (dtpreuss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839160-2012-New-Years-Resolution-Contest