*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839346-The-Patriot-and-the-Red-Coat-II
Rated: E · Short Story · Young Adult · #1839346
The patriot and the red coat share the fort.

"Halt, who goes there?" I asked.  "This fort is off limits to red coats.  Come out now."

"Well, I'm not a red coat," said a blond haired girl, as she stood up.  "Just have a red jersey on."

Just because she was a girl with a red jersey on didn't mean she could be trusted.  I still had to defend my fort.  After all, in the Nathan Hale Forest, I had to be ready to have "one life to give for my country."

"My name's Linda," girl said.  "What's yours?"

"Bobby," I replied.  "If you're not a red coat, I guess you can visit my fort."

"No secret password required?" she laughed, as she bounced through the bushes up to the fort.  She brushed off a maple leaf that had stuck to her jersey with her one free hand.  She carried a large manila envelope in the other hand, one designed to cushion and protect whatever's inside it.

"I haven't needed one before," I laughed too.  "We could make one up."

"Cool!" she said.  "Let's see, I'm ten.  How old are you?"

"I'm ten too," I replied.

"OK, how about our names and the number 20?" she asked.  "Something like Linda20Bobby."

"No, Bobby20Linda," I said.  "I was here first, and did the work fixing it up."

"That's fair," she smiled.

I followed her into the fort.  As she looked around, I did too.  It was in pretty good shape, if I did say so myself.

"What a great place, Bobby," she said.  "If we can build a small table, with something to sit on, we can setup my laptop to see the war map stored on the hard disk.  Maybe we can find the treasure."

"Treasure?" my ears perked up at that.  "Finding a treasure would be great."

© Copyright 2012 Sailor M (sailor40 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839346-The-Patriot-and-the-Red-Coat-II