*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839591-011012-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Entry
Rated: 13+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1839591
01/10/12 Daily Flash Fiction Entry - Having Pirates Over For Lunch
Change
Trace
Blind

“We’re deaf, dumb, and blind.” Wade said. The ship hung dead in space.

Bartleby hit the internal communication switch. “What’s going on, Smithy?”

“We must have passed through an energy field. All of the systems overloaded.” The engineer answered.

“How long will it take to repair?”

“I need to change the inverters and depolarize the hull. I can get you full power in three hours.” Smithy replied with a sigh.

“The passive sensors are coming on-line, Captain.” Wade said.

Bartleby turned to face him.

“I’m picking up the trace ion trail of a Lethargian pirate ship.” Wade reported.

“Where are they now?” Bartleby asked.

“They’re behind us.” Wade looked up with a frightened look in his eye.

“Communications?”

“Still down.”

“They’ll board us. We can’t let them get the cargo.”

“How do we stop them?” Wade asked, panicked.

“We don’t. Come with me.”

The two men went down to the cargo hold.

“Pull the pins on that side of the crate.” Bartleby ordered as he did the same on his side. “When they take it, they’ll get the surprise of their lives.”

As they were returning to the bridge, Smithy joined them. The bulkhead door suddenly opened. Five large, green, hairy, ugly beasts came in. “Show us your hold.”

Bartleby led them and unlocked the hold. Four of them entered and picked up the crate. The front flew open and an enraged Omari Tiger bounded out. Bartleby closed and locked the door before the fifth one could react. They subdued the fifth pirate and listened to the screams as the animal tore the other pirates apart.

“There’ll be a nice reward for this one.” Bartleby said with a smile.

“The beastie got his lunch.” Wade added.

“And we get to keep their ship as salvaged junk.” Smithy smiled with avarice.

(300 Words)
© Copyright 2012 Fred Marle (dtpreuss at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1839591-011012-Daily-Flash-Fiction-Entry