*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840626-Dear-Me
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Contest Entry · #1840626
A letter to myself, stating my goals for 2012.
Dear Me,

         First of all, let me welcome you to 2012, a brand new year chockful with opportunities. I'm hopeful this will be a good year for both you and your wondrous wife. I know, a lot has happened over the last few years and it's cost you much. I'm happy to see you both have continued to hold a positive view of life, have made the most out of all that has confronted you, and continue to persevere. This year, like most, has the potential for a lot of things to happen, but you have to make them happen.

         Therefore, I think it's imperative you have goals to strive for. Nothing too difficult or hard to reach, we'll keep it relatively simple; after all, it's the simple things in life that matter most. I'm sure you could list many things you would like to gain or achieve here, but I'm going to limit this to those most important. These, in my opinion, are the goals that lead the rest.

         Let's start with contentment. It's something so basic and simple, yet something few people seem to have. Sure, you may not have much, but what good would it do to have more if you're not happy with what you have now? So, I want you to be happy with the things you have, giving thanks everyday for them instead of complaining about what you don't have. Remember, happiness isn't having what you want, it's wanting what you have.

         Now, since this is related, lets move on to the most important people in you life. There's your best friend, your partner, your lover, and your wife. How wonderful these are all the same marvelous woman! Take a few minutes everyday to tell her she's all of these. Make sure you also tell her she's beautiful and appreciated. Remember, listen to her advice, she knows what she's talking about. Set aside some time everyday to show her as well as tell her. Make her feel as special as she always makes you feel. Keep in mind, just because you're married doesn't mean your relationship has to be anything less than when you first met and fell in love, but you have to work to maintain that freshness and playfulness.

         This would be a good time to mention health and fitness. I know you had medical issues that led to some weight gain, and I know you dropped quite a bit of it while becoming more fit and active. But, you kind of let it slip a bit last fall and it's time to get back with it. So, another goal for you in 2012 is to drop the rest of the extra weight you're carrying. Get back into your exercise routine and make sure you log your food every day. You know you'll feel better and have much more energy. Keep in mind that good looking gal beside you, she should have a good looking, fit guy by her side... Make sure you're him!

         Another goal I have for you is right here, in WdC. Well a big part of it is in here, the rest is wherever you are. You need to get in here, read some people's items, and review them. You also need to get in here and write some items for other people to review. So, make it a goal to do seven reviews a week; that's only one a day, and even if something comes up and you miss a day, you'll be able to catch up easily enough on another day.

         The second half of this goal is to write and post here. I know you can't pick a number of items to write for a goal, but you can work on finishing the items you have started and you can make it a goal to write at least one item a month. Don't be so critical about the item, just write it and enjoy yourself. Isn't that why you write, for the joy of writing?

         We covered your physical health, we discussed writing, since that's how you exercise your mind, but you also need to work on your spiritual health. You do a pretty good job most of the time, but you do get distracted from your Bible studies. You need to stick with them and make them a high priority. Since we have you taking care of the physical and mental areas of your life lets add the spiritual side, too.

         As long as we are working on wellness, there's another area you could focus on, emotional wellness. You need to take a break by doing something fun and relaxing. Oh, you have lots of fun do you? Sure, that's why you only went out fishing and camping a few times last year. No, you can't blame it on the weather, either. You have good intentions, but something comes up and you put it off. Like Tiggy said, "All work and no play makes T.J. De Wahl a dull boy." One good time activity a week would take care of this. It doesn't have to be a lot, but you need to take a mini vacation at least once a week. A bit of advice, spend more time outside getting some fresh air.

         That brings us to the final area you need to work on, time. Yes, you need to do something about this. You have good intent and purpose, but you never have enough time because you waste little bits here and there. Also, you procrastinate too much. So, lets make 2012 the year you stop putting things off and the year you start getting things done. You can better manage your time by keeping track of where it goes. Start doing your time log again, but keep it simple and brief. You also need to get organized, this will save you more time than you probably realize. Set up a schedule if you can. I know, you never have been the kind of person to go by a schedule, and that's the problem.

         I'm not going to list this as a goal for you, just something I want you to work on. Start with a simple and easy to meet schedule, then add a bit more here, something else there; before you know it you'll find a lot of time to do all the other things. Some people spend half their life saying, “Ima gonna,” and the other half of it saying, “I shoulda,” or “I coulda.” Only you can change that to, “I did!”

So, here's what we have:
         1) Be content and give thanks for what you have every day.
         2) Express your love and appreciation for your wife everyday.
         3) Get your weight back down and exercise regularly.
         4) Do at least seven reviews a week in WdC, and write at least one item per month
         5) Take one mini vacation a week, and get outside more often.
         6) Do a daily Bible study.
         7) Get organized; work on time management and start a schedule.

         Seven items, not bad, but it's going to take some dedication. Focus and work on these, and you will succeed. Don't get stalled on regrets of what happened, just keep going. We all falter at times, but those that succeed don't lie there in a rut of ruefulness, they get up, brush off, and push on.

         Make a list or print off a copy of this letter and post it as a reminder. You can do this, as well as much, much more. Have a little faith and stay positive, remember your favorite quote from Oddball in Kelly's Heroes, “Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?”

Respect and admiration,
T.J. De Wahl         


Word Count: 1315
© Copyright 2012 tj ~ endeavors to persevere! (callmetj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1840626-Dear-Me