*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841136-From-the-River-to-the-Land
Rated: E · Other · Experience · #1841136
A arguement essay on Hispanic inequality
The people of the United States celebrate the day given in tribute to a fallen man of civil rights and peace; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Many people across the United States know King as the man who fought for civil rights of the African-American men and woman in the country, but he fought for the civil rights of all ethnicities, so why is the hispanics in the U.S. discriminated and treated unequal.

"We have talked long enough in this country about equal rights. It is time now to write the next chapter - and to write it in the books of law." (Lyndon B. Johnson). As immigrants from other hispanic countries come into the United States, looking for a new life, the U.S. stops them from starting over. Arizona has a law in which any immigrant within the state to have papers, and what is the highest percent of immigrants in Arizona; hispanics. If hispanics are scared to come in to a country that doesn't want them, what does that say about the "American Dream". Many americans that are prejudices to hispanics tell them to learn the English language, but the English spoken in the U.S. isn't true English, true English is spoken in Great Britain, so what language do hispanics have to learn to live in this country. The U.S. goverment should revoke the Arizona anti-immigration law, for many good reasons such as economy, social, and even military. In World War II, many decorated men who served in the front lines were of hispanic ethnicity, so if a war comes and all the hispanics are discrimanted and won't join a military service in where there not welcome, than the U.S. have lost a large amount of patriotic service men and women.

"Preservation of one's own culture does not require contempt or disrespect for other cultures." (Cesar Chavez). The United States is a land of many cultures, and the the hispanic culture has impacted U.S. culture the same way a meteor impacts the earth. Taco Bell, Casa Ole, and many lunch trucks spread all over the country serve hispanic food that many americans have come to enjoy and love. Tacos, nachos, burritos, tostadas, ceviche, guacamole, and many other cuisine are very popular over the U.S., and many of the recipes are family recipes, what happens if the families are discriminated and don't want to share their dishes to the public, no tacos for americans. Reggaeton, Salsa, and other music genre have affected dance and music in the U.S., very much that top hit artist are in influenced by hispanic music. Salsa dancing is a fiery dance of passion originating from Cuba, and is a popular dance in the United States. If the hispanic cultures are remvoed from U.S. culture, than a loss in foods, music, and other art forms will happen in society.

"Freedom is never voluntarily given by the oppressor; it must be demanded by the oppressed." ( Dr. Martin Luther King). The hispanic men and women who live the U.S. will have claim there rights in the U.S. and fight off the discrimination. The hispanic people have been stereotyped as lazy, irresponsible criminals. The hispanics will soon show that they are not a stereotype, for they are students at universities, physicians, celebrities, construction workers, bussinessmen, and soldiers, proving they are hard-working, strong willed, and courageous people. The U.S. needs to understand that they need hispanics, and the hispanic culture needs a land of oppurtunities such as the United States. I leave with a quote of my own " I was born in Mexico, and I was raised in the Unites States. I see myself not as a citizen of Mexico or the United States, but as a citizen of the nation of true democracy and real tolerance, when the the United States or Mexico merge with this nation, then I will declare myself a citizen of that country."
© Copyright 2012 Joel Perez (joel0605 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1841136-From-the-River-to-the-Land